PDA

View Full Version : Manly pets?

ZenFrost
07-07-2007, 12:17 AM
This is mostly for FtMs but MtFs and GGs can answer too. Do you guys have any pets that reflect you gender (ie. manly pets)? For instance, a rottweiler is generally considered to be a manly kind of dog while a teacup poodle is perhaps more feminine. I know I'm making generalizations, but I see lap dogs with women way more often than with men, and the opposite seems to be true for big dogs. Of course it isn't always the case, but it got me thinking. Do you think that the type of you current, past, or ideal (future) pet reflects your masculine nature moreso than it would if you weren't trans?

Personally I think I was drawn to having snakes because it didn't seem like they were a feminine sort of pet. Most girls squirm at the thought of them so I feel a tiny bit more masculine simply by having them.

Cai
07-07-2007, 01:29 AM
I don't think I'd ever own a lap dog. I agree with my dad on this - if it doesn't weigh at least 30 pounds, it's not a dog.
This comes from the man with 3 cats in a 2000 sq foot house, though.

Kieron Andrew
07-07-2007, 05:21 AM
Cats are socialites they really arent anyone's pet as far as gender specifics go.....they are far too independent for that...........

I always fancied a Gecko or a lizard type creature but im told there is a lot of work involved to keep them

Cai
07-07-2007, 05:27 AM
Cats are socialites they really arent anyone's pet as far as gender specifics go.....they are far too independent for that...........

That's true. The one that's considered to be "mine" tolerates us touching her, but that's about it most of the time. She'd much rather go outside and kill small birds to bring home as a way to show affection.

Kieron Andrew
07-07-2007, 05:41 AM
That's true. The one that's considered to be "mine" tolerates us touching her, but that's about it most of the time. She'd much rather go outside and kill small birds to bring home as a way to show affection.
They are more independent than humans, most of us need interaction with other humans to survive in one form or another but cats dont need other cats

bi_weird
07-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Hah my desire for pets is totallly misplaced maternal instinct, so I've got cute fluffy guinea pigs who I can baby. Though I do want to have a dog someday, and it'd be a big boyish sort of dog. There's definitely dogs that are more for guys and more for girls. Those absurd little dogs girls put in handbags, I just don't get it...

John
07-07-2007, 01:38 PM
Well I know two girls who betwean them own snakes, rats, and gient african land snales, so asume nothing!

Big dogs, I'd say. And of cause all cat's need is feeding (they're 'lazy' pets)

Kieron Andrew
07-07-2007, 01:58 PM
My mother has a RottWeiler, and shes soft as sh*t (the dog not my mother), they are considered one of the big dogs family, so yeah as John says assume nothing

Dasein9
07-07-2007, 05:08 PM
My cats have always been male. Not really planned that way, but they're definitely boys. As for whether they need others, I'm thinking Fox may need another cat around since Cromwell had to be put to sleep in April. He's very clingy and is lying on top of my foot right now. He yells more when I get home nowadays and seems clingier in general. And who can blame him? I live in a sixth-floor walk-up and rarely get visitors; I'm the only other mammal he sees!

ZenFrost
07-07-2007, 09:05 PM
Well I know two girls who betwean them own snakes, rats, and gient african land snales, so asume nothing!

Big dogs, I'd say. And of cause all cat's need is feeding (they're 'lazy' pets)

My mother has a RottWeiler, and shes soft as sh*t (the dog not my mother), they are considered one of the big dogs family, so yeah as John says assume nothing

I wasn't trying to make assumptions. I've known several girls who owned rats (but no boys that have) and several who had large dogs. And I've known men with little white fluffy dogs named Fifi. I wasn't trying to say that certain genders can only own certain kinds of pets. I was just noting that some animals are often associated as being pets of a certain gender and I was wondering if any of you chose a certain type of pet to help demonstrate a manly image.

alexis GG
07-07-2007, 09:14 PM

I always fancied a Gecko or a lizard type creature but im told there is a lot of work involved to keep them

This is :OT: but lizards/reptiles are easy to look after. I started with a pair of leopard geckos, but had to part with them..... Now I have a bearded dragon, who's now 4, I'v ehad him since he was 5 weeks old..... They are easy to look after if you do the right reasearch. The most expensive thing is the set up, and getting the right one for the reptile. Petshops will inform you of the wrong size to make a sale, it happened with me. Once you have your full set up it will cost you around £15 a week in food depending on what reptile you have......... Will stop waffling now since this is :OT:..... Pm me if anyone wants any more info

:hugs:

alexis

mistunderstood
07-07-2007, 09:24 PM
I have two birds and three cats. Do not know were that leaves me in the gender department:), One bird is a conure and the other is a blue and gold macaw. Well and the cats are just cats, the sort who take over the house and every thing I own.

jsoto81
07-07-2007, 09:49 PM
I have a cat, a turtle and a horse. I don't know if you'd consider those manly or not.