PDA

View Full Version : Whipping Girl by Julia Serano

Pink Person
07-07-2007, 11:06 AM
I am currently reading Whipping Girl by Julia Serano and can't resist recommending it to everyone who is active on this site. This book is a must read for anyone who is interested in literature about transgender, transsexual, and feminist issues (it is a should read for everyone else too). I can't help believing that this book will become a classic in its field. You can buy this book on Amazon.com if you can't find it in a bookstore. Julia Serano is an important advocate for all of us in the TG an TS communities. I am interested in knowing what other people think of this book.

Jenna Lynne
07-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Yesss, absolutely agree! What's most useful about the book, whether you feel you're CD, TG, TS, or somewhere else in the multidimensional continuum of gender, is the way Julia dissects the resistance and opposition we have to deal with -- including resistance and opposition from people that you'd expect to be the most supportive.

Let's get the word out!

***Jenna***

Pink Person
07-10-2007, 11:18 PM
I finished reading Whipping Girl by Julia Serano this morning. Everyone should read it. The world needs more people who read books like this one instead of all of the Harry Potter junkies who waste their time worshipping teenage fantasy figures. That's right. Snap out of it and read something that has the real potential to improve the quality of life for TG and TS people everywhere (and everyone else too). You can watch cartoons when you're done and have a cookie too.

Jenna Lynne
07-10-2007, 11:34 PM
I finished reading Whipping Girl by Julia Serano this morning. Everyone should read it. The world needs more people who read books like this one instead of all of the Harry Potter junkies who waste their time worshipping teenage fantasy figures.
Hey, some of us *like* Harry Potter! Be nice.

***Jenna***

Pink Person
07-11-2007, 06:42 AM
Okay. Everyone gets two cookies for reading an important book. I'm really only trying to (cattle) prod some of the people on this site to do something they will be glad they did. Apologies to imaginary teenagers everywhere.

battybattybats
07-11-2007, 07:26 AM
Actually the first psych I went to, a truly intelligent well read and interesting person and a bhuddist scholar, encouraged me to read the Harry Potter books for their examples of dealing with trauma and darkness. Unfortunately he then suddenly died of an unsuspected brain tumour (not during the session but only a few weeks later!)

Such is life.

I did go on to read them and found them a lot more intelligent, deeper and more sophisticated than I'd previously expected, growing up in stages with each book. They didn't write kids books like that when I was a kid.

However it is a good point that we could all deal with reading good books about CD/TG issues.

Pink Person
07-28-2007, 10:48 AM
I am really only still interested in knowing what people think of Julia Serano's book. Some of you people have giant brains and read things. I know it by the way you write. Read this book and tell me something about it.