PDA

View Full Version : A day of firsts…

NatalieH
07-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Saturday was a day of firsts for me. First Pride parade (Burlington, VT), first talk in person with another TG, first time in a ladies room with a (presumably) GG present (plus my wife, who was in there too). I found out that Vermont’s new anti-discrimination law means (in theory) I don’t have to worry about which bathroom I use. Also first time en femme in Montpelier, for clothes shopping (at another store where “large” means size 10!) and having lunch – got a few glances, but for the most part no one seemed to notice, or care. Oh, yeah, first long car ride dressed, with the resulting nervousness about bathrooms – in addition to the one marked “women” also found unisex places in a convenience store and a coffee shop – but it wouldn’t have mattered to me at the time anyway (when you gotta go….)

All in all, a very good day. The best part was being in the park after the parade with all the marchers and spectators, knowing that I fit in - first time I've had THAT feeling, and it was great!

Natalie

Julia Welch
07-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Congratulations Natalie.....

Isn't it great? :happy:

RobertaFermina
07-09-2007, 02:48 PM
What Great News Natalie!

Isn't PRIDE just a powerful empowering Celebration !

You told my story from my SF Pride '07 experiences.

And your's are all FIRSTS!

Seconds Anyone ?

:rose: Roberta :rose:

joann07
07-09-2007, 02:57 PM
What a nice fun filled day for you.
Congradulations!

I went to my first Pride event (St. Pete, FL) the previous weekend (June 30) and that was a great time.
Although I have been out a dozen or more times, that was the first time I had been among thousands of people who are accepting of who I am.
I even got a few complements as me and two fellow CDers walked around.
I'm looking forward to next year. Hopefully, it won't be soooo HOT.

NatalieH
07-10-2007, 02:05 PM
... among thousands of people who are accepting of who I am.

Wow, thousands! I was in a crowd of, I'm guessing, several hundred - at the time it FELT like thousands, though...

Nat

joann07
07-10-2007, 03:02 PM
Wow, thousands! I was in a crowd of, I'm guessing, several hundred - at the time it FELT like thousands, though...

Nat

Good for you Nat!
I'm very happy for you.

Yeah!
Being among thousands of perfect strangers and interacting with various people was such a pleasurable experience! Everyone was so nice and friendly and it was that feeling of being accepted that made my first Pride event so great. I'll never forget it.

It was estimated that the event drew about 70,000+ visitors. Although there are larger numbers of visitors and participants in other major metro areas (i.e. Chicago, NYC, Boston), the St. Pete FL Pride is considered the largest in the southeast.
I can't wait until next year.