PDA

View Full Version : i think i got it pretty bad :)

Amber82
07-12-2007, 04:37 AM
last night I was informed at the last minute that i had to work tonight overtime. When I said no I was told i didnt have a choice. I tried to tell him I had other plans but to no avail, so after i took him my resignation letter and threatened to quit and a heated discussion he told me if i wouldnt quit he would give me the night off. Now, I told him I would be out of town tonight, that isnt exactly a lie, myself as I am at work will be out of town, for that matter off the planet. Heres why, I had already planned a nice night in with my wife all dressed up as my other self, Amber, already had a babysitter for our kid for the night and everything all planned out. Both myself and wife were really looking forward to it so much that i was willing to quit my danged job not to have to cancel! Yep, I think when I hear the saying "How bad have you got it?" I got it pretty bad, LOL!!

Michelle S
07-12-2007, 06:59 AM
Be really nice to your boss for the next few days. Put in some extra effort at work and let him know how much you appreciate the favor he granted you. Let him win at golf! ;)

JoAnnDallas
07-12-2007, 08:44 AM
I remember one time my company wanted me to cancel my vacation because they wanted all of us to work 12hr days 7 days a week until the current job was completed, so that they would not have to pay Penalties. Well I told them that they would have to talk to my wife. That she worked full time and may lose her vacation time. We would loose the airline tickets since they were non-refundable, also the Hotel deposit. This was two days before I was to go on vacation. I called her on the phone, told here what was happening, and then handed the phone to the General Manager of the plant. They ended up signing a document that stated that after the emergency, the company would pay in full for our vacation. They did not like having to talk to the wife. LOL

aka.laura
07-12-2007, 11:45 AM
I don't think you've got it bad at all. You planned a lovely evening with your wife and I assume she was looking forward to it too. All CDers with kids know how extremely difficult it is to get some time off and spend time for yourself together. Well, I do ;o( Kids are great, but sometimes one would love to stick them behind the wallpaper. Ok, and then enter the boss who wants to ruin your evening? Have you ever signed a paper that says he can do so? I think you were absolutely right to take your stand. Bravo! You handled that one very well. Hope your evening was worth it ;o)))

Karren H
07-12-2007, 12:49 PM
I'd say.... Maybe to the point of obsession? Lol. And I admit that I've gotten carried away a few times but never to that extent.. Unless you have another job waiting in the wings doesn't make sence to throw away your family's secutiry just for one night.. There are always other nights and other baby sitters...

God help us when I start sounding like the voice of reason here... Lol

Karren

joann07
07-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Thats ok. Its not like its the end of the world, but I understand your frustration of planning something and a wrench gets thrown in.

Every month I try to go to my Tri-Ess support group meetings, but this month and next month I won't be able to because of family gatherings and other things planned so I'm somewhat depressed that I won't be there.
Oh well.

Phyliss
07-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Chaos Theory at work. How well I understand. Spend days planning something, only to have it go all bad, through no fault of your own.

GACountrygal
07-12-2007, 01:44 PM
I'd say.... Maybe to the point of obsession? Lol. And I admit that I've gotten carried away a few times but never to that extent.. Unless you have another job waiting in the wings doesn't make sence to throw away your family's secutiry just for one night.. There are always other nights and other baby sitters...

God help us when I start sounding like the voice of reason here... Lol

Karren

I second what Karen said.

But some will go to destructive lengths to get what they want :rolleyes:

Amber82
07-12-2007, 02:00 PM
Well i did have another job waiting as ironically my old job had called me back yesterday wanting me to go back, i didnt really want to go back to it but when my boss started all this crap the thoughts of going back with a set and not flexible schedule became a lot more attractive. No, dont know that i would leave my job without having another one (depending on how mad i got, i might lol,) but in this case i had that as backup ammunition that proved powerful enough to get what i wanted. Guess im getting good at this girly stuff of getting my way already :p

Amber

Mitch23
07-12-2007, 02:09 PM
last night I was informed at the last minute that i had to work tonight overtime. When I said no I was told i didnt have a choice. I tried to tell him I had other plans but to no avail, so after i took him my resignation letter and threatened to quit and a heated discussion he told me if i wouldnt quit he would give me the night off. Now, I told him I would be out of town tonight, that isnt exactly a lie, myself as I am at work will be out of town, for that matter off the planet. Heres why, I had already planned a nice night in with my wife all dressed up as my other self, Amber, already had a babysitter for our kid for the night and everything all planned out. Both myself and wife were really looking forward to it so much that i was willing to quit my danged job not to have to cancel! Yep, I think when I hear the saying "How bad have you got it?" I got it pretty bad, LOL!!
Well done - you have a right to a home life regardless of how you planned to spend. You should not have been asked to work at the last minute and threatened

Mitch

Bobbi Lynn
07-12-2007, 04:31 PM
I was in a similar situation a few years ago, however, I had a union and a contract on my side so I told them "you can ask me to stay, but, I'm going home".

uknowhoo
07-12-2007, 05:38 PM
did you wife know about the stand you took?

if so, what was her reaction?

curiously yours,

t

(okay, so that was two questions! :o :p)

Sarah Rabbit
07-12-2007, 05:54 PM
I think it was good you took a stand on what I consider an important issue. I would however not make a habit of it. Sometimes You have to take a stand, and sometimes you have to bite the bullet. I agree with Michelle S. Put in an extra effort over the next few days. (But still kick his butt at golf:devil:)

Sarah R. :bunny:

Wenda
07-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Well i did have another job waiting as ironically my old job had called me back yesterday wanting me to go back, i didnt really want to go back to it but when my boss started all this crap the thoughts of going back with a set and not flexible schedule became a lot more attractive. No, dont know that i would leave my job without having another one (depending on how mad i got, i might lol,) but in this case i had that as backup ammunition that proved powerful enough to get what i wanted. Guess im getting good at this girly stuff of getting my way already :p

Amber "Pick the battles that count and the battles you can win!" In this case, if you had lost, you did have a plan B. Turned out great. Be sure that your boss knows you appreciate it. Waiting for the answer to Tammi's question, does your wife know?
hugs, w.

Maki
07-12-2007, 06:06 PM
I gave up my stint as a well compensated but bored corporate software drone to work at home and avoid stuff like this. Way to go for seeing you are probably worth more to them than one night of overtime. Unless you have had performance issues in the past and the company was looking at droping you anyway, most managers will back down when push comes to shove (Unless your demands are totaly unresonable or are being a huge PITA). Training a new worker is a huge resource hog and gets more expensive and jobs become more complex. Many companies are starting to see this and are doing everything they can to keep valued employees.

Amber82
07-12-2007, 08:31 PM
yes she knows now, and shes happy about it because she would have been utterly p*ssed if i had to cancel our nice night. Speaking of which i just have finished all my makeup and gotton dressed and she is waiting for me at the table to play some board and card games, gotta go!! :heehee:

Billijo49504
07-12-2007, 09:33 PM
I agree with Karen. Life is not so bad that you can't move your vacation. It is the major supporter of your family. So I think you should be more friendly to your employer. Just my thoughts ...BJ

uknowhoo
07-12-2007, 09:37 PM
:dance:Woo hoo Amber!:dance:

I hope you two enjoy your evening! :GD:

cindi cinnamon
07-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Congrats, Amber.

Just remember to be gracious when you win.

Also, repay the favor at the first opportunity. It'll always pay dividends for future considerations.

Oh, by the way, I once threatened to quit because I wasn't getting enough hours!....... I got more hours........ Which is good, because shopping at Victorias Secret isn't exactly free!!!!!!

Anyways, enjoy your night out with your wife.

Jocelyn Quivers
07-12-2007, 10:10 PM
Glad everything worked out. In the future though look at the plus side of overtime if they pay extra for working it. More money = More clothes:2c:
Jocelyn

trannie T
07-13-2007, 02:08 AM
Think of all the time you will have to dress when you're unemployed.

Angie G
07-13-2007, 04:36 AM
WOW your serious Amber :hugs:
Angie

aka.laura
07-13-2007, 10:56 AM
Just a question, and I'm genuinly interested.
Apart from our different opinions on whether or not Amber took a big risk or not or whether she was right or not: How's that in your part of the world: CAN a boss just come up and say: hey man, stay longer 'cause I/the firm/the job want you to? No lifes at stake. But: say you've got a relative in hospital, say it's your kid's graduation day, say whatever. Can they make you to stay and work longer? OK, when you're part of an ER- team and there's been an airplane crash: no discussion. But otherwise? Can they?