PDA

View Full Version : Things my mother did not tell me...

Sam-antha
07-13-2007, 08:02 AM
Having reached another year in my advancing age, I feel entitled to dispense some old fashioned wisdom. For instance ;

"If the shoe pinches in the shop it will surely hurt you in the street"

I had to learn for myself that it hurts my pocket as well as my feet.
(Just why did I stand on tip toe for that shot ?)

~Samm

Marla S
07-13-2007, 08:43 AM
:cheer::bday::cheer:

Happy Birthday Sam

:Party2:

There is a reason why wisdom is called wisdom.

Can wisdom become old fashioned ?

It's not always easy for a lady and her pocket.

Looking very good :thumbsup:

Eileen
07-13-2007, 08:59 AM
Good balance Samm! Looking good for a lady advancing in age!

Eileen

hidin
07-13-2007, 09:02 AM
I remember when my sisters use to dress me up and my Mother would see me & not say anything to them. I use to cry because i didn't like at the time, but now I love it, but the only thing that bothers me that I have to do it very discreet.:D

Chace
07-13-2007, 09:16 AM
Aww yes the things mom never told us ..Thats a great thread...I remember once my mom said ..to be happy you got to be yourself.Wize words from a wize woman.....

Jenna Lynne
07-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Here's something my mother never told me.... When I was dressing actively (20 years ago) I often wore 3-inch heels. At some point my own heels started to hurt. I went to a podiatrist. Turns out I had developed what I've heard called a "pump bump" on each heel. Ouch! Had to wear inserts in my boy-shoes for a long time.

What happens (I hope any M.D.'s in the group will correct me if I'm mixing it up) is that when we walk, a tendon slides up and down over the heelbone. Over time, wearing high heeled shoes causes that tendon to shorten, because it doesn't have to stretch as much. So when you take the shoes off, the tendon has to stretch further than it wants to, so it presses against the bone too hard. The bone responds by growing a sort of osteo-callus. That's the bump. The tendon is then sliding across this calceous growth on the bone, and it hurts!

***Jenna***

aka.laura
07-13-2007, 11:34 AM
Alas! Pumps are so sexy, but neither male nor female feet are originally designed to walk on anything higher than something flat... Fact is, they look great but they're not made for walking, they're designed for sitting and looking sexy (or walking ehm stumbling to the car and from the car to the restaurant/disco/movies). Tendons don't get short, muscles neither. Muscles get tensed and you can work at that getting them less tense.They will relax and give you more range of motion. You can't stretch tendons. They're designed to bear weights like 1 to 2 thousand kilos (an achilles-tendon that is). So try and stretch that ;o) When tendons thicken they're signalling that something is wrong: as a rule it's some kind of overuse or misuse (or abuse). Remedy: stop overusing/misusing (abusing) it. So wear ballerinas or health-sandals...or live with it. No way you can fool mother nature:D But we all know that ofcourse:devil:

Lilith Moon
07-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Hey, Samm !

:bday::bday::bday::bday::bday::bday:

Look forward to wishing you many, many more in the future :hugs:

Sam-antha
07-24-2007, 05:45 PM
... and another thing..... "wool itches...."
~Samm
PS sorry no pics, surely someone has one of wool itching...
~S~

carol ann
07-24-2007, 06:11 PM
Happy birthday Sam - yes good advice to help keep your feet on the ground.

Climbing one of the lesser Munros just below the snowline in February met two seasoned climbers coming down and were suitably admonished

"There is a time and a place for that sort of footwear and clothing and this certainly is not it"

Sharon
07-24-2007, 08:19 PM
PS sorry no pics, surely someone has one of wool itching...
~S~

I tried to find a photo of sheep scratching themselves, but had no luck. Wool doesn't seem to bother them at all! :p

Michelle 51
07-25-2007, 05:11 AM
If our moms had only known how much that little stuff would have helped us they would have told us a lot more than they did.Can't you see it now Mom whats the right way to put this bra on or close your legs when you sit with a dress on son or be carefull or you get a run in those panty hose

Sam-antha
09-18-2007, 02:43 PM
If half of your clothes fit, then you are ahead in the game.

Veronica 1
09-18-2007, 07:47 PM
The best words of wisdom from my mother were to never let the fidge run out of beer. :drink: :D

Toyah
09-18-2007, 07:52 PM
The best words of wisdom from my mother were to never let the fidge run out of beer. :drink: :D

Beer in the fridge where were you dragged up ??????
Larger goes in the fridge coz its undrinkable when you can taste it :heehee:

Sally24
09-18-2007, 08:09 PM
Bend at the knees, not at the waist. Not because you will hurt your back, but because people will be able to look down your blouse.