PDA

View Full Version : New to the game and lookin' for tips

Simon
07-13-2007, 10:35 AM
Hello all! *waves*
I decided this would be the best place to come to ask for some tips and learn some things that I'm sure I didn't know, and after looking the site over, you all seem very sweet and I felt comfortable joining and posting and asking for help.

I'm bad with introductions. >.<
You can call me Simon.

I'm nineteen, a little over five feet tall, have shoulder length hair that I'm not willing to part with quite yet about a hundred and five pounds yet manage to have B cups and a butt worthy of a black pop singer... and I wanna pass as a boy for a week.

I've already ordered a lovely black compression binder from underworks, and that should be getting here any day now. Once that's here me and my best friend Sara are off to the thrift store to buy me a few outfits and such.

I say this all to say...

Help!! >.<

There's more to passing then just lacking breasts and wearing boy-pants, so please, pleaseplease, tell me what else it takes. I'm waiting 'til the fall, when it's a little cooler and I can wear blazers and such, and people not be like "WTF, it's 90 degrees outside mate."

Oh, and I live in the South. Of the United States. I figure you'd need to know that. Or it'd help. Or something.

Oh and would it help if I posted a picture?

Oh dear, I should stop typing.

kathy333
07-13-2007, 10:47 AM
to tell you the truth i don't know how to tell you to act like a guy. their are things that we do without knowing. i do have one thing to tell you,so take it with a grain of salt.

i have a cousin who never zips his pants all the way up. he has done it his whole life,and being a man i cant tell him to zip his fly, or ask why.

i am happy that you want to try this new way of living,just dont give up on the real life that is out here.

one more thing if you get near louisville ky give me a call i'll go out with you anytime.:devil::2c:

Dasein9
07-13-2007, 10:53 AM
Welcome to the forum. This is a pretty good bunch, even if we are all nuts.

Acting like a guy. Hmmm... Well, guys tend to step with a longer stride. I find boots help with that. And guys tend to take up more space. Legs open when sitting and stuff like that.

A tie helps tell people "This one's a sir!" But it can't be an "ironic" tie, like the ones people wear for the godawful colours and fabrics. It has to be a serious attempt at wearing a nice tie.

While I don't much care for the political implications of this, I do find that I pass better when dressed more conservatively. And if I do get taken for a Republican, then at least I have the chance to do some infiltrating. :D

Also, I shave my face even though I'm not on testosterone. Having a completely smooth face is less feminising than having peach fuzz.

http://www.geocities.com/ftmPass/passing.html

The main thing is confidence. When you act confident, people believe you have reason to be confident and tend to defer a bit.

CaptLex
07-13-2007, 12:38 PM
Hi Simon, and welcome. :wave: The guys here are very friendly, inclusive and helpful. You're on the right track with the binder, but you're right, passing usually takes more than that. I'm still learning that too - especially because I prefer to use my "natural" mannerisms, which are semi-butch and semi-fem, instead of adopting ones that don't feel normal to me. Of course, things like facial hair (real or "painted on") and obviously masculine clothing (like ties) help with passing too.

As Das mentioned, guys take up more space - like sitting with legs wider apart and using the arm rests in movie theaters and airline seats, instead of "pulling in" in these areas. Guys also project that by doing things like standing with legs apart and arms folded across the chest, or hands in the front pockets. Long confident strides while walking, instead of little steps help too. It's the little things, really, like strong confident handshakes and acknowledging nods when greeting someone that add up to the whole picture.

I hope this helps, but feel free to ask for more detailed info if you need it. By the way, I would love to see a pic. :happy:

Adam
07-13-2007, 04:12 PM
hi there simon welcome to the forum hope you find it welcomeing here :D

There is many things you can to in aid of passing binding is one of them but theres many more i am going to give you some links to sites i found helpfull and i hope you find them usefull aswell

This was one of the first sites i found on hints and tips of passing there is some very intresting good advice on this one
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/agitor/ftm/pass.html

This one took me ages to look at and it seems to have everything you could think about asking about passing its my fav site with passing info
http://www.ftmguide.org/

These are a good start and worth a read

ZenFrost
07-13-2007, 11:26 PM
The links the other guys posted are great so I wont try to overwhelm you with even more websites.

One thing a lot of us guys do to learn passing skills is to observe how guys look and act naturally. You might want to do something with you hair (you don't have to cut it, just learn how to style it) to make it more masculine. If you normlly pluck your eyebrows or wear makeup, remember that men usually don't so somewhat bushy eyebrows help you pass better than neatly shaped ones. Basic physical things like clothes and shoes can help a lot, if you really want to pass you should steer away from androgeny and focus more on masculine styles. Binding and packing can also be quite helpful, even just putting a rolled up sock in your underwear can make a difference. And besides binding, layering can help smooth out curves, just don't wear too much if it's too hot. But it's not just the way you look, it's the way you act. By watching guys you can learn mannerisms and small details that can make a huge difference. If your voice is high you might want to practice lowering it, and if you're worried about your height you can put something inside your shoes to make you look taller.

Perhaps the most important thing you can do to help you pass is to have confidence.

Simon
07-14-2007, 01:23 AM
Thanks guys!!
All the links and information is and are much appreciated! Trust me, there is no overwhelming me with information. I adore the stuff, can't get enough. Why, just last night I learned an indepth history of dopplegangers!

But that's beside the point. We want to be on top of the point.

That sounds painful.

Anyway.

Thank you again!

Stopping the whole typing thing now!

Dasein9
07-14-2007, 09:43 AM
Oh dear. I think another one of us has found us.

bi_weird
07-14-2007, 01:32 PM
NOOOB!
I mean, uh, hi Simon! Nice to meet you! *shakes hand* I'd make you some brownies, but I'm a bit hung over at the moment (the professors threw us new grad students a party with tons of free beer) so cooking isn't gonna happen.
As for passing, I don't know that I have a lot of advice. I'm bad at it. Though I do think I accidentally passed the other day which was funny. But yeah I can't offer anything more than what the other guys have given you. I've seen those links, though, and they're really good.
Anyway yes, nice meeting you, I need to go find some food now...

Felix
07-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Hi Simon glad to meet ya Hun :hugs: The guys have give ya loads of info which will be useful to ya. Like the captain I tend to stick to my own mannerisms which lol can be quite camp or so I'm told. It doesn't bother me. Like the captain said I too can't be pretending and puttin things on. Don't forget the eye contact thing men don't over do that one xx Felix :hugs:

Simon
07-14-2007, 07:10 PM
Guys! I have a problem! My binder got here today and it doesn't work! It pops be down like... half a cupsize, maybe, but that is not nearly enough!! I know I can return it, but should I try a different one? I'm kinda sad, I was so excited! Oh well!

And you guys are all amazing, just so's ya know. *grins*

Tristan
07-14-2007, 07:30 PM
Aw damn thats a bummer, Simon. I have had good luck with underworks, but I'm a large guy so it doesn't take much to look better sometimes. Sometimes laying down on the bed and "adjusting" yourself down and towards your armpits will help get you flatter. Layers over a binder help too. Layers can help make a chest less obvious.

Kieron Andrew
07-14-2007, 07:54 PM
Guys! I have a problem! My binder got here today and it doesn't work! It pops be down like... half a cupsize, maybe, but that is not nearly enough!! I know I can return it, but should I try a different one? I'm kinda sad, I was so excited! Oh well!

And you guys are all amazing, just so's ya know. *grins*
which one did you get? if you got the compression Tshirt thats probably why....its rubbish!, ive been using....The underwork Tri-top Chest Binder - Aggressive Binder Waist Length (983) for about a week and a bit now and that works quite well, as i am a larger guy :), unfortunately for me i found that getting the right binder was very much trial and error.....

Tristan
07-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Just out of curiosity, Simon, why do you want to pass for a week? Is it a part of your road to discovering yourself? Or are you doing more of an experiment? I hope this isn't too personal of question and do not feel as if you need to answer.

Simon
07-15-2007, 02:15 AM
Just out of curiosity, Simon, why do you want to pass for a week? Is it a part of your road to discovering yourself? Or are you doing more of an experiment? I hope this isn't too personal of question and do not feel as if you need to answer.

Oh of course not! Very few things are too personal to ask me, I'm open!

It's not so much discovering myself, I was born a girl, I'm happy being a girl ('cept when my uterus starts bleeding -_-), I just... wanna know what it's like, I guess. I'm very confident and nearly perfectly happy with who I am, this includes how I look as a girl.

I guess I'm just curious! I've always been much more curious then is really healthy (or polite. *shifty eyes*) for one small girl. I always do my best to try everything, so that I know what it's like. I can't ever get enough information. I hear about something that catches my interest, I wanna study it as best I can, or try it if I can.

Oddly, this was just a random thought. I don't remember why I decided to do it. I've always been fascinated with being someone new, or spilting myself into different people to the point where they all dress different and act different and even have different manners of speech. I've always had two boys in me, Jack and Simon (who was recently named).

WOW I need to stop talking. Typing. What have you.

Oh and the binder was a Cotton Concealer Compression Muscle Shirt. Perhaps I should try this... *looks* Tri-top Chest Binder - Aggressive Binder Waist Length... thing...

ZenFrost
07-15-2007, 02:36 AM
Yeah, the Tri-Top seems to have the best binding abilities. Though it's not the easiest to get on.

It's cool that you like to try new things and it's great to hear that someone wants to know firsthand some of the stuff we go through just to pass. It's also interesting to meet someone with a totally different reason for doing some of the same things that we do. Most of us are here because we feel our bodies aren't what they're supposed to be so it's cool to meet someone who's satisfied with her body but wants to learn about another side of things.

Felix
07-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Hi Simon I get the double fronted compression vest which is extra long i think it's 997 on the underworks site. I find its great but do have to push my boobs under my pits a little to get the right affect. Also since I have lost a little weight it has helped with things as I am large chested too. I got the medium vest and thats good for me. Hope this is a little help xx Felix :hugs: