PDA

View Full Version : Free expression/tollerance

sarah378619
07-15-2007, 11:54 PM
I think everyone has a different journey, a different way of looking at cding/gender identity. We need to be caring and understanding, not judging. I accept myself and I also except the way each one of us finds their balance,their comfort zone. There seems to be a broad spectrum of views here. I thank all who have shared their views ...Huggs. looking forward to sharing this journey with you all.
Sarah

kathy333
07-16-2007, 12:45 AM
i agre with you lif is to short to deal with anyone on the rag:2c::devil:

battybattybats
07-16-2007, 09:16 PM
Accepting the right of others to free expression is a duty of all rational people. Of course you don't have to agree with their opinion or hold back from expressing your own counter opinion.

However there is also a danger in treating all opinions as being equally true, there are physical truths though it can sometimes be hard to determine them. So there is also a duty in acknowledging that all views are equally worthy of expression but that not all views are equally correct.

Even more important is that things that appear true today may be found to be untrue or only partially true or only true under certain conditions tomorrow. This means that it is an absolutely vital duty of all people to be willing to change there views on all subjects if the data should show them to be partially or wholly wrong. Because of this it is important to listen to and examine the opinions of those who disagree with you and to regularly reappraise your own views.

I have heard of and can conceive of no thing more important to learn to do than this.

I thank all who have shared their views ...Huggs.
Absolutely
:hugs: Thanks everyone!

Karren H
07-16-2007, 09:26 PM
Yeah yeah yeah.... I'll tolerate you just don't get between me and the rack of dresses on sale!! hehe

:D

Karren

trannie T
07-16-2007, 11:36 PM
If we seek acceptance from others we must be accepting of others. Even if they are different. Even if they do strange things. Even if they are Republican.

chucks
07-17-2007, 12:57 AM
accept yourself and it really won't matter if anyone else accepts you. praise and censure will have no effect.

Ekatcha
07-17-2007, 03:38 AM
accept yourself and it really won't matter if anyone else accepts you. praise and censure will have no effect.

I think in some areas of the world, it does... North Korea, for example... Censure there means something totally different than in the US or UK I think. Mind you, I don't live there, but still... it's not an absolute. :2c:

I do have to agree with the OP that we all have a slightly different take on things. I really enjoy, personally, reading differing views on a variety of topics and find this probably the most interesting bits on this forum. I learn something every day and every day my boundaries are pushed just a touch. That said, while internally I'll agree there is a danger in treating all opinions as equally true... I do have to question who decides which ones are dangerous? I don't deny that there should not be limits... it's more a question of who defines them? Agreed that human beings need to be able to adapt to change (especially social change)...

Anyway, I really dig some of the discourse and varying opinions here. It's good for the soul I think... or at least mine. =)

~ Eka

Angie G
07-17-2007, 04:39 AM
Good outlook Sarah you go girl :hugs:
Angie

battybattybats
07-17-2007, 07:14 PM
I think in some areas of the world, it does... North Korea, for example... Censure there means something totally different than in the US or UK I think. Mind you, I don't live there, but still... it's not an absolute. :2c:

Great point!

I do have to agree with the OP that we all have a slightly different take on things. I really enjoy, personally, reading differing views on a variety of topics and find this probably the most interesting bits on this forum. I learn something every day and every day my boundaries are pushed just a touch.

Indeed. I Concur.

That said, while internally I'll agree there is a danger in treating all opinions as equally true... I do have to question who decides which ones are dangerous? I don't deny that there should not be limits... it's more a question of who defines them? Agreed that human beings need to be able to adapt to change (especially social change)...

I think it's not the ideas themselves that are dangerous. It's just that an untested or untestable belief should not be given the same weight as a tested or testable one. Everyone should have their say, flat-earthers or those who appose heliocentrism included. But while we should respect their right to believe and express something that is demonstrably false we don't have to respect what is believed or expressed. If people say something is true that can be shown is not true then we should show that it is not true, respectfully and politely. And if we say something we believe to be true we should always be prepared to be shown that it is infact not true.

Especially as things that are believed to be proven true can turn out not so with more data later and ideas long disregarded can turn out to be correct in certain circumstances then we should never suppress contrary or 'dangerous' ideas out of hand. But claims without evidence are not yet truths and claims without evidence that run contrary to what evidence exists are potentially harmful.

Both confidence and doubt are virtues, while unquestioning faith is a vice. A harmful and dangerous vice.

Joy Carter
07-17-2007, 07:24 PM
Even if they are Republican.

Ah Hem ! I resemble that remark ! :nono:LoL

It needs to be about respect. Respect for some ones beliefs, religion and their way of life. You could go on but the above should cover it.

Ekatcha
07-17-2007, 08:55 PM
I think it's not the ideas themselves that are dangerous. It's just that an untested or untestable belief should not be given the same weight as a tested or testable one. Everyone should have their say, flat-earthers or those who appose heliocentrism included. But while we should respect their right to believe and express something that is demonstrably false we don't have to respect what is believed or expressed. If people say something is true that can be shown is not true then we should show that it is not true, respectfully and politely. And if we say something we believe to be true we should always be prepared to be shown that it is infact not true.

Especially as things that are believed to be proven true can turn out not so with more data later and ideas long disregarded can turn out to be correct in certain circumstances then we should never suppress contrary or 'dangerous' ideas out of hand. But claims without evidence are not yet truths and claims without evidence that run contrary to what evidence exists are potentially harmful.

Both confidence and doubt are virtues, while unquestioning faith is a vice. A harmful and dangerous vice.

I get your point now and would agree with it in principle. Regarding opinions, I'm reminded of a quote I once heard (or perhaps it was an old common saying). "When you have an opinion, you don't have all the facts. When you have all the facts, you don't need an opinion." Now, granted, this isn't applicable in all situations (think politics or religion)... and take into account that all facts are filtered through the lens of perspective (which is usually where the opinion part comes into play)... but I think it somewhat generally (dangerous statement) holds true.

I also agree its important for people, in general, to be able to change their views and adapt upon further inspection / evidence... Should they cling to their view on whatever, regardless of how wrong it may or may not be, I respect their right to keep it, but I don't have to agree with it. In that instance, something that is verifiably wrong should not hold the same weight as something that is verifiably true. Which is, what I think, you were saying.

Ultimately, thoughts and ideas are dangerous... but that's something they can't take away from me. =) Anyway, I dig learning about various peoples views on a variety of subjects... even when I don't agree with them, I learn something... and for me (on a personal level), thats what's important.