PDA

View Full Version : Ordered Some Glasses

Jenna Lynne
07-16-2007, 02:31 PM
I'm easing on down the road here -- just wanted to congratulate myself in public. After many years not dressing at all, today I took a couple of important steps. I ordered some femme glasses and made an appointment for electrolysis.

Back in the '80s I had contacts, but I don't want to mess with my eyes that way anymore, and I'm not that cute anymore either, to WANT to have my face be unhidden. So I got some nice understated frames that I think go with my face shape.

I had full facial electrolysis too, back in the day, but the fungus grows back eventually. I guess I'm stuck with the barnacles and the dents and the rust, but I can get rid of the fungus.

Hooray for me!

***Jenna***

JulieC
07-16-2007, 03:54 PM
Go you! :)

"Barnacles, dents and the rust"

:lol:

kathy333
07-16-2007, 03:59 PM
now this is news to me. i have been thinking for years of having my face hair lazered off,but now you say the stuff will grow back, with time. then why spend the money?:devil:

Jenna Lynne
07-16-2007, 05:02 PM
now this is news to me. i have been thinking for years of having my face hair lazered off,but now you say the stuff will grow back, with time. then why spend the money?:devil:
I don't know about lasering (though the website of the electrologist I've made an appointment with says that electrolysis is better than lasering). Others will have to fill you in on that.

The electrolysis I had was what I would call semi-permanent. For a year or so, no facial hair. (That's why to spend the money -- no stubble! You don't have to wear heavy foundation.) EVentually a few scattered hairs started sneaking back. After 20 years my upper lip is still very sparse (probably because it was treated more thoroughly to begin with) but the chin area is on the bristly side, and I have stragglers on my cheeks and neck.

Follicles all lie dormant from time to time. If one is dormant during your treatments, the electrologist will miss it. Later that hair will sprout again. And it's quite possible for the needle to miss part of a given hair root the first time when that root is zapped, so that hair will come back later.

It's also possible that my former electrologist did a lousy job. It seemed fine at the time....

***Jenna***

Sheri 4242
07-16-2007, 05:16 PM
I'm easing on down the road here -- just wanted to congratulate myself in public . . . I took a couple of important steps. I ordered some femme glasses and made an appointment for electrolysis.

I'm not that cute anymore either, to WANT to have my face be unhidden.

Jenna,

First, congratulations! You know, there are many times I think we all want some praise for a step we've made. Sometimes we want to know if we look okay (or good) -- and while there are girls on here that definitely look good, the rest of us are often left wondering. Some of us suffer from low self-esteem, too. So, I know how important it is to receive a kind word or compliment.

That said, I do mean congratulations!!! You have made some big steps!!! To some they may not seem important -- but as long as they are important to you, we owe it to each other to say a kind word here, give some praise there!!!

Second, I wear contacts most of the time, but do have glasses for backup -- or for when the contacts have to come out for a while. A couple of years ago my wife and I were having an eye exam -- and when it came time to pick the frames for the standby obligatory pair of glasses, I walked up with a pair of Christie Brinkley frames! I said to my wife and the two sa's assisting us, "Iknow these are girl frames, but glasses bother my sinuses and there is no reason to buy them if I'm not going to wear them. My wife told me to try them on -- and they were just barely on the feminine side of unisex. (Most GG's would knowin a heartbeat -- but they did look good on me.) My wife agreed that I had serious sinus problems and the lightweight feel probably would be to my advantage. The head sa said that she certainly tought they went with my facial features and that she didn't think too many people would know they were Christie Brinkley brand. So, that's what I got!!! The actually did feel better on my sinuses, pressure-wise. The sa's were quite professional -- and every year since then have steered me to the women's frames. Last year my wife actually got a pair that matched mine -- so we're twins :lol2: !

I gues the thing I am proudest of is the photo shoot my wife and I did after our "marriage" in Las Vegas (vow renewal) with me as the bride. The make-up artist was a real pro and did a great job. We have rec'd the proofs and are placing our order -- and as soon as they come in, I'll share, per the request many of you made. My avatar picture is one my wife took hours after the wedding ceremony (damn beard starting to show IMO) -- I had changed clothes, but was still en femme! Hair was a bit mussed, but that was b/c of the veil!!

Okay -- you girls tell me -- did I look halfway okay (taking into account it was 5-6 hours after the make-up artist did his magic)??? I'm no different than you Jenna: the wedding was a big step and I wnted to look my best. True, my wife took the photo hours later -- but I'm a lot like Jenna in that it would be nice to know how the picture portrayed me???????

Trust me, I'm not vain -- I just want to know your opinions -- and what I might do to improve, etc. (:confused: Confused and feeing insecure today!!!)

Third, anybody in the States know (a.) which is better, laser or electrolysis?; (b.) how much either an cost (not that important, bt would like to have an idea)?; (c.) how long it takes (I understand both are done in sessions, so let's say I wanted one or the other done on my legs, what am looking at time-wise?; can they do faces? (I am so damned tired of shaving!!!!!!!) I'd really appreciate any info on thi!!!!!!!

Jenna -- in the meantime -- you go girl!!!!!!! As for me and my SO, we're proud of you for the steps you've taken!!!!!!!

Jenna Lynne
07-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Third, anybody in the States know (a.) which is better, laser or electrolysis?; (b.) how much either an cost (not that important, bt would like to have an idea)?; (c.) how long it takes (I understand both are done in sessions, so let's say I wanted one or the other done on my legs, what am looking at time-wise?; can they do faces? (I am so damned tired of shaving!!!!!!!) I'd really appreciate any info on this!!!!!!![/COLOR][/B]
I just googled "laser electrolysis" and found a couple of pages of good information right at the top. Laser is apparently faster, but it's pigment driven, which I would guess means it will work best if you have Caucasian skin and dark hair. It might miss hairs that have gone white, I imagine.

***Jenna***

Stephenie S
07-17-2007, 10:47 AM
I don't know about lasering (though the website of the electrologist I've made an appointment with says that electrolysis is better than lasering). Others will have to fill you in on that.

The electrolysis I had was what I would call semi-permanent. For a year or so, no facial hair. (That's why to spend the money -- no stubble! You don't have to wear heavy foundation.) EVentually a few scattered hairs started sneaking back. After 20 years my upper lip is still very sparse (probably because it was treated more thoroughly to begin with) but the chin area is on the bristly side, and I have stragglers on my cheeks and neck.

Follicles all lie dormant from time to time. If one is dormant during your treatments, the electrologist will miss it. Later that hair will sprout again. And it's quite possible for the needle to miss part of a given hair root the first time when that root is zapped, so that hair will come back later.

It's also possible that my former electrologist did a lousy job. It seemed fine at the time....

***Jenna***

This is a fairly acurate description of what happens. Both of these statements may be true.

Most TG women seems to use a combination of laser and electrolysis. But with either method, you have to keep after it. Because as many as 1/3 of your hairs are dormant at any one time, stragglers will always reappear, and they have to be dealt with on a continuing basis.

Lovies,
Stephenie

Just one year of treatment with either method will not be permanent.

Stephenie S
07-17-2007, 11:23 AM
Jenna,

Third, anybody in the States know (a.) which is better, laser or electrolysis?; (b.) how much either an cost (not that important, bt would like to have an idea)?; (c.) how long it takes (I understand both are done in sessions, so let's say I wanted one or the other done on my legs, what am looking at time-wise?; can they do faces? (I am so damned tired of shaving!!!!!!!) I'd really appreciate any info on thi!!!!!!!
[/COLOR][/B]

OK:

(a.) Laser and electrolysis are different. One is not better, per say. Laser works best on dark hair and fair skin. If this is you, you can expect good results. Light/ grey hair requires electrolysis. Even a good laser session will require electrolysis to finish up hairs not gotten by the laser.

(b.) This will depend on your beard. How thick is it? There can be 30 to 40 THOUSAND hairs on your face. Some people have far fewer. A good electrologist can get 100 to 500 hairs in an hour. At $60 to $75 an hour, you do the math. I have spent a year and almost $5000 so far. I get two hours a week of work done on my face. Is my beard gone? Nope! But all the dark hair is gone. I have NO more beard shadow. A close shave now gives me a face that needs NO foundation or concealer. I am looking at another year at least for full clearance. And then another year of much less intensive work after that.
Good laser work is much more expensive. But laser is much quicker, as it works over much greater areas of your face. Laser may be cheaper in the long run, but the FDA does not certify laser as being permanent. Only electrolysis can legaly claim that it is permanent.

(c.) I talked a bit about time in (b.) above, but you can count on several years unless you are very lucky, ie. dark hair, light skin, few hairs, etc. Yes of course they can do faces. That's what most of us do. I can easily shave most of the rest of my body. Legs are so easy to shave, why would you want to spend the time and money on your legs when you could be working on your face? It's the face that matters to the public.

Both methods are labor intensive, and require skill on the part on the technician. Some states do not require training and certification, so be carefull. Be VERY carefull about claims of painless and quick hair removal. It just don't happen that way. Laser and electrolysis are both quite painfull. Some say this is what separates the genuine TG from the wannabees. There are topical anesthetics available to deal with the pain . The good ones (in the States) require a prescription from your doctor.

PM me, or ask here, if you have any questions. I will be happy to help.

Stephenie

KatrinaAshley
07-17-2007, 04:18 PM
I've seen lots of women with glasses. Due to the vast choices of frames I have to say it can certainly enhance the face when you choose the proper pair. Thankfully I've never needed them, but I have considered decorative contacts. Changing your eye color would really help feel like a whole different person in the mirror. Does such a thing exist without altering your vision? I'm aware of ones for halloween. Any that are just a plain, natural color?

Reba Kay
07-17-2007, 10:00 PM
I think the glasses are a real good choise. I bought a pair that are just very light reading glasses, but it helps my appearance.. They are large frame and make my looks more creditable looking. I also bought a large pair of sun glasses that change my whole appearance. Reba Kay

Debbie47
07-17-2007, 11:00 PM
Back in the early 1990's I had a pair of ladies glasses made for me when larger plastic frames were in and they had a rose colored tint at the top of the lense.

Sheri 4242
07-18-2007, 01:36 AM
I've seen lots of women with glasses. Due to the vast choices of frames I have to say it can certainly enhance the face when you choose the proper pair. Thankfully I've never needed them, but I have considered decorative contacts. Changing your eye color would really help feel like a whole different person in the mirror. Does such a thing exist without altering your vision? I'm aware of ones for halloween. Any that are just a plain, natural color?

I've heard you can get colored contacts with little correction in them. I use extended wear contacts, but a few years ago I decided I wanted my eyes to be "greener." So, the OD gave me an Rx for them and I was very disappoited. The coloring was essentially okay, but I never had a pair that I felt sat correctly on my eye -- there was a constant problem with some blurring. I guess others can wear them with no problrm, but, that said, I have learned I am not the first person to have this problem with them. Also, I found them to be not nearly as comfortable as my accuview extended wear lenses. In the end, they weren't worth the money IMO.

Laser and electrolysis are different . . . Stephenie

Stephenie: I won't repeat your whole post here since it is just a few posts back, but I wanted to say a big thanks for the details!!! I had an elderly aunt that just plainly got tired of shaving her legs, so she had electolysis (no laser option back then) and was very pleased with the results. I have got to look into this b/c, first, I am so'oooo tired of shaving, period -- doesn't matter if it's legs, face, chest, arms, or pits, I am VERY tired of shaving. That said, I guess I am most tired of shaving my face!!! Heavy beard growth -- started shaving at 13 and I am ready to be able to quit doing it!!! I have olive complexion and dark hair, so mayb I will be a good candidate based on what you say! Thanks again!!!