PDA

View Full Version : Girl/Boy Interrupted - Putting Puberty on Hold for TG Kids

CaptLex
07-17-2007, 04:59 PM
I got this article from my therapist today. It's kind of long, so here's only the first part of it. If you want to read the rest, follow the link below that:

The breast bud popped up about six months ago, and Marty knew something had to be done. It was the slightest of puckers, just on one side, so small you wouldn't even notice it through a T-shirt. Still, boys don't get breasts, and this had the unsettling potential to blow his cover big-time.

That's because Marty was born, by conventional measures of modern science, a girl. Marty has two X sex chromosomes, like most females, and the hardware concurs. Yet ever since Marty's parents flew back from China in 1998 with their 11-month-old adopted baby, their daughter seemed to be programmed male. She refused dresses by age two and half and mastered peeing while standing by three. She would identify herself as a girl only when grilled.

When Marty was about six, doctors said she was no tomboy. She seemed to fit the diagnosis of gender identity disorder (GID), and though dubbing it a disorder whips up a maelstrom of controversy, the basic sentiment is this: not only feeling an intense discomfort with one's biological gender, but also feeling profoundly, compellingly, like the other.

Enrolled in a new school last year as a boy where only the staff knew otherwise, the nine-year-old passed without a hitch in his wardrobe of Nike trainers and T-shirts, paired with a crew cut, boyish build, and aggressive basketball moves at recess. (To keep his secret, the names of the boy and his parents have been changed.) But the days when the only outward markers of gender lie in haircuts, clothes, and personality only last so long. Deep inside Marty's brain, a time bomb known as the hypothalamus waited to stage a hormone-armed mutiny. Breasts would sprout. Hips would widen. The uterus would shed blood on a monthly basis. Marty didn't want any of it.

So when the bud appeared, his Bay Area parents hustled him to an appointment with an endocrinologist at Children's Hospital and Research Center Oakland, who said the bud might progress no further and puberty could still be a few years off, his parents recall. They were temporarily relieved. Marty treated the bump as a boy would — poking at it at the dinner table, feeling it through his button-down shirts. Waiting.

Then, in May, Marty came to his mom frantically: "Mommy, feel this lump! You have to do something!"

The other breast had budded.

His parents called Children's because now, due to the efforts of a small but growing number of doctors around the world, something actually could be done about emerging puberty. The endocrinologist agreed that Mother Nature was revving up, preparing to take Marty the way of trainer bras, Tampax, and, as his parents and doctors predicted, increasing distress as his body developed into a sex that to him seemed a cruel trick of birth. The changes would make living as a boy impossible in the present, and he'd potentially face scarring surgery to remove unwanted breasts down the road. What's more, the upsurge in estrogen would slow and stop his growth, making it harder for him to ever pass as a male. Of course, that's if Marty would end up living as a man. As boyish as Marty is, no one could know for sure.

But in the present, nature could be tricked. If they all agreed, Marty would never have to develop into a woman.

It was time to put puberty on hold.

http://www.sfweekly.com/2007-07-11/news/girl-boy-interrupted/

mistunderstood
07-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Wow to bad it had to take to long to discover.

melissaK
07-18-2007, 08:32 AM
I can't read these stories, Cap'n. Too close to home. I end up crying out of empathy - the breasts that came vs mine which never did, have the same emotional component; or, if they have a happy ending I cry out of envy, and then out of self pity because I can't find it in me to better solve my own situation.

Anyway, its a great article and the link to the rest of the story is worth pursuing. Exciting to know some parents do the right thing. Exciting to know some are so enlightened.

Hugs,
'lissa
__________________________________________________ _____
I met a girl who sang the blues,
I asked her for some happy news,
She just smiled and turned away,
. . .

Cai
07-18-2007, 09:24 AM
I'm feeling the envy too - especially about height. At 5'2", it's a major factor in passing for me, and the article is talking about adding 5-7 inches to adult height. I could have been 5'7". Not tall, but at least not miniature.

But I think it's great that something is being done for TG kids. It's too late for me, but maybe others won't have to go through the same things I did.

CaptLex
07-18-2007, 10:51 AM
I'm sorry if this is hard for some of us to take. It's not easy for me either. As my therapist said, we're all a product of our time. My time was decades ago so I missed out on this stuff too. Now all I can do is take advantage of what time I do have and work to undo the changes that should never have taken place in me (physical and mental). Hopefully future generations will have it better.

This brings to mind an important point made by the article. The children who will not have to experience the wrong type of puberty thanks to this treatment will likely grow up feeling the correct gender and never really know much of the confusion, depression, etc. that most of us have gone through. While I think this is a positive thing, as the article pointed out, they will not really be transgendered people since they will be allowed to develop into their true selves directly. Thus, they won't know as well as most of us what it is to have lived as both sides.

I know most of us (myself included) say that if we could go back and change things, we'd make sure we could grow up as the proper gender from day one, but I personally feel that being able to see both sides is not really a bad thing. It really gives me a perspective most people will never have. Like Monk says, "it's a gift . . . and a curse". Something to consider, I think.

crazy4cheezeits
07-26-2007, 04:20 PM
wow, that is really amazing.
and dang, I'm 5'0" I REALLY could have used that!

SL
07-27-2007, 08:40 PM
God I wish I could've been this kid. To not have to go through that. To be tall. :sad: I've spent the last two days wishing I was tall. Not that I haven't ever before. Just not every second. And then I feel like crap for not even appreciating what inches I do have. I've been "suffering" feeling like the 5'8" was crap. ....I better tell God I'm sorry.

crazy4cheezeits
07-28-2007, 10:49 PM
I've been "suffering" feeling like the 5'8" was crap.

:eek: 5'8"!!!!! LUCKY YOU!!!!

Cai
07-28-2007, 10:59 PM
I recently found out one of my trans friends on another forum (didn't even know he was trans until after I came out to the forum) had this treatment, and then started T as soon as he turned 18.

Normally, I'm really good at being genuinely happy for something good happening to someone else, even if it was something I wanted. But this keeps bringing up such mixed feelings for me. I'm really jealous of him, and since he's a few years older than me, a part of me keeps saying "You could have had that. The timing's right. You could have been him." It hasn't changed my friendship with the guy, but the thoughts come up every time I talk to him or run across one of his posts.

But then again, maybe I needed to grow up as a girl. I spent so many years expected to follow a set of stereotypes that were just all wrong, that now as an adult I'm not willing to take on a new set. I know I make a very effeminate man, but that's okay with me. That's who I want to be, and I wouldn't really be allowed to be that if I had been a boy growing up.