PDA

View Full Version : Shopping prejudice and acceptance

sandra-leigh
07-19-2007, 11:39 AM
I am currently visiting Toronto (Ontario, Canada). I'm staying near one of the many ethnic neighbourhoods, this one a mix of Ethiopian and Portugese. I've been walking past a random hole-in-the-wall clothing store... which happened to have an interesting looking blouse in the window. I was reluctant to go in because I sort of got the impression from the window that it would be run by old ladies who would scowl at me the whole time I was in the store.

Well, yesterday I said, "Oh heck, you can survive a scowl or two!" and ventured inside. And I'm pleased to say that my prejudices were wrong and that I was treated perfectly well.

I had only been in the store for a few minutes, looking at the tops, before the owner (an older Chinese lady) was suggesting sections I might want to look at, colours she thought I would be interested in, and "these ones will fit you because you are so tall". Yup, I was in drab (well, actually it was all women's clothes, but no-one has ever noticed that), but in short order she had me correctly pegged as a cross-dresser who was buying for myself. There was no problem at all about asking for sizes or styles I was interested in, no problem at all about trying anything on, and I got her opinion on the appearance and fit of a dress and two tops. And the prices were pretty reasonable, too, considering they were new clothes in uncommon styles.

Oh yes, and it turned out not to be a hole-in-the-wall after-all: it was wider than it looked and went back a fair ways.

She gave me her business card and invited me to return and shop again, and seemed entirely sincere about it.

So, here's to prejudice; when we assume the worse, we may miss the best in people! :drink:

Marcie Sexton
07-19-2007, 11:56 AM
We all know what assume makes of us....:heehee: The sad fact of life is though, we may be the home of the free and land of the brave, and I would choose to live no where else, but we are also the society of the opinionated...

It seems that other contries and the societies are much more accepting in some aspects of every day life than we tend to be...

If it aint main stream society you're a pervert or perhaps even worse, a sicko...:2c:

but then again thats just my opinion...

Bonnie D
07-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Hi Tess-Leigh,

If you ever get to Toronto again try these two places; Wildside and He & She. Both places are downtown and you can try on lots of women's clothes. Wildside is specifically for TGs and He & She is for, as the name indicates, both genders but it does not matter which clothes you are trying on. I've been to both and enjoyed my visits. Wildside has a better and wider selection.

Bonnie

Joy Carter
07-19-2007, 01:33 PM
Tess, You are so right about how we all look at things and making a judgment with out first knowing. I'm glad you took the leap to prove yourself wrong.

In all the encouragement that I try to give you girls on going out. I have only tried clothes on in one store. And it was a small tall girls shop. I just haven't gotten the gumption up yet to do so. I will get there, just I'm not to sure how I will be received asking to try things on.

Karren H
07-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Business is business after all its about the money.. Their personal preferences aside, they are in business and want to stay in business.. Over the years I've never had anyone deny me buying a single thing and only one or two frowns from clerks..

So shop where you like and buy what you want... Once you get over the mentalness of it, shopping becomes a fun adventure!! Well at least for me it is!! Lol

Karren

Debbie47
07-19-2007, 02:22 PM
I do most of my shopping through catalogs because I get tired of the stares, fingerpointing, and giggles behind my back. This country needs a good ice water enema. I go out in drab often but when I push the envelope the fun begins with the attitudes. I have had a few good comments but it usually comes from young girls working in the stores.

sandra-leigh
07-20-2007, 07:02 PM
I do most of my shopping through catalogs because I get tired of the stares, fingerpointing, and giggles behind my back.

Debbie47, did I catch correctly that you are near Cincinatti? For some reason I had believed that would be a relatively accepting area.

sandra-leigh
07-20-2007, 07:12 PM
If you ever get to Toronto again try these two places; Wildside and He & She.

Thanks, Bonnie. I was on my way to Wildside when I stopped at the not-so-hole-in-the-wall. I didn't reach it, though; I looked around that first place thoroughly, and then I walked the wrong way on Younge street, and then I stopped to do some camera research for my sister... time added up. But I've been to Wildside before and I checked their current online store before I left home, so I figured that if I did go, then probably I'd just end up buying another set of overpriced forms, hard to justify $C400 for forms that the various recommendations here show can be had for < $US60.

I'll have to try to keep "He & She" in mind for another trip.

Seductions on Younge had a limited selection of larger size shoes; none of them really fit me though.

Samantha B L
07-20-2007, 09:03 PM
Hi tess-leigh, First impressions can be deceiving as you've pointed out. I've had some wonderful experiences where I got pegged as a crossdresser by sales people who I thought were going to turn out anti-CD. Years ago I used to go shopping and I would tell the SA's feeble stories about how I was shopping for my sister or my aunt,maybe my girlfreind sometimes. And I'm sure they thought "why is this guy I've never seen before concocting these silly stories". So I stopped doing that years ago. A GG freind that went shopping with me told me that I should buy what I like and stop it with the lying. Of course,she was right. Why would people who live like 30-40 miles from me care if I was buying the stuff so I could take it back home and dress?But it's always a wonderful feeling when a business pegs you for a crossdresser but they're freindly about it and they make it clear that they want your business. I think that virtually all businesses nowadays will wait on CD/TS/TG customers and be glad to make a sale. But appearances can be a little bit deceiving because sometimes the place seems a little forboding and the sales staff a little bit glum. But you never know what's in store.

Emma England
07-22-2007, 09:27 AM
It does not matter whether someone is old or young.

They will either be pleasant towards you or look offended.

You can only tell by interacting with them.

Most sales staff who are professional enough will be nice to everyone.

One thing I have learnt in general life is that it never turns out as planned.
Probably any assumption you make is the opposite of what you expected.

Mitch23
07-22-2007, 09:55 AM
talking to my friend in the local lingerie shop. She said lots of guys come in and buy for their 'girlfriends'. She's not fooled in the slightest - she doesn't care but would prefer people to be honest

mitch

briannad
07-22-2007, 01:08 PM
I do split my shopping between online and in person. For the cutesy stuff, I know my general size and just buy it where ever I see it in person but the nice upscale stuff I order online with a generous return policy. Shoes, if I am in the store and it is not too crowded, I go ahead and try them on. All the salespeople have always accepted my cash. :happy:

sandra-leigh
07-22-2007, 08:16 PM
In all the encouragement that I try to give you girls on going out. I have only tried clothes on in one store. And it was a small tall girls shop. I just haven't gotten the gumption up yet to do so. I will get there, just I'm not to sure how I will be received asking to try things on.

I'm only about 1600 miles away from you -- when ya coming up for some real shopping? :D The directions are real simple -- just head straight west to Minneapolis and then go north across the border and try-as-you-go shopping is less than an hour past that.:heehee: