PDA

View Full Version : treatments that impact CDing

Sally2005
07-21-2007, 12:06 AM
Recently, I've been taking anti-depressant medication. The drug's web site says it (seritonnin recepter inhibitor) can be used to treat compulsions, depression, shyness, etc. etc. I suffer from depression and the drug has helped keep out of the lows I was experiencing and I generally feel better than before. The result is subtle.

Related to CDing, which I describe as being a compulsive activity (I find it to be a stress relief) for me, what I notice is that I still have the desire to dress although it is not really based on an emotional need anymore. In fact, the apprehension around going out dressed or to the store to shop for female stuff is also gone. For example, I want to go get a makeover at MAC, something that would normally take me weeks to build up to, but now I feel like I could just waltz in there and do it. I have always been a little shy and that feeling of fear is less... Also, what I feel, is that I -could- stop the CDing because there is nothing pulling me to do it. However, I still want to get better at CDing, which I enjoy, so I do it for a different reason now.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar thing? Also, its a message to anyone else who is depressed to consider the benefits of the medication.

TG-Taru
07-21-2007, 04:28 AM
Same here, unfortunately the effect isn't as strong for me.

Joy Carter
07-21-2007, 04:53 AM
I've mentioned it before. But eighteen years on Prozac (30mg) lowered my T levels substantially. The scale runs approximately 190 to 740 and I'm about a 234. My MD wanted me to start taking T shots once a month for life at fifty bucks a crack. But the trade off to me is not worth it. For one thing my prostate no longer bothers me. My hair loss is nearly nothing and I have half as much beard growth. The negative side is osteoporosis, coronary risk and weight gain.

As for my mood. I think that the lower T levels, have given me a much more calm attitude. Plus I feel a little more girlie I think. :heehee:

Sorry for going off topic. I just felt the newby's here would want to know about what Prozac can do to you.

Marla S
07-21-2007, 05:24 AM
Also, what I feel, is that I -could- stop the CDing because there is nothing pulling me to do it. However, I still want to get better at CDing, which I enjoy, so I do it for a different reason now.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar thing? Also, its a message to anyone else who is depressed to consider the benefits of the medication.
Well, those SSRIs definitevly have their benefits in cutting the peaks of fear and anxiety. In that they help to see things more relaxed without becoming euphoric. They offer a start to change some things in your life or your way of thinking.
Personally I didn't had the impression that SSRIs would help to "stop" CDing, but they helped to accept it, because the struggles of CDing come from fear and anxiety.