PDA

View Full Version : How To Get New Clothes Thread!?

trinity24
03-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forum - basically looking for some ideas, and sharing a few of mine. This post turned out to be longer than I expected, but I wanted to share a few things that worked for me, and a few that didn't. I would also love to see other people post their approaches, and hopefully learn some new tricks. Also - a note - this is meant for people who are too ashamed to go into a store, and simply buy a few items. I'm sure I may seem a little paranoid, about the risk of other people finding out, but that's the way I am, and it will not change. I'd imagine it's a problem for most of us. Here's a few different approaches I tried, including their downsides:

1) Shopping in person:
My first few items I obtained going into a department store far away from my neighborhood, like JCPenney's or Sears, late in the evening during weekdays, when there were few customers around, and grabbing a few items, quickly paying for them. It's been always taking a lot of courage though, and on more than one occasion I would make up my mind to go and buy something, only to chicken out the last moment, and simply leave.

2) Shopping on-line:
I thought, that would all change once I discovered internet, but unfortunatelly there are still some major problems. For example, when I purchased a bunch of clothes from Newport; to my dismay they arrived in a plastic bag labeled newport, and I have been getting catalogs from them ever since - until I moved to a different address. Here's my dilemma. I currently live in a building that has one entrance and four apartments. Everybody knows one another - and mail/packages, get dropped off in the main hallway, for everyone else to see (I hate this arrangement, because it can lead to very embarrasing situations)

This whole situation really pisses me off, because I see so many items I would love to order, but I am afraid I am going to be embarrassed by either the label from the sender (i.e. the name of the store I bought it from), or by the description of the item contained inside. Either way, I tried to come up with a few solutions, so here's what I got:

1) Ordering on-line, to pickup in store
I reasoned, that the worst part of buying in person (other than paying for the item), is browsing through it, and getting the right size. Ordering online with in-store pickup seemed like a perfect solution, to get the browsing done at home, and only pay on the spot. I know JCPenney offers this, and I actually tried it once - and I don't think I'll do it again (unless I find something really worth it). Here's what happened - I figured I would simply place my order online, and then go to the store and pickup the box - no such luck. After I placed the order, I got a phone-call a few days later that the items are ready to pick-up. So I went to the store, got my credit card ready - and found the pick-up desk. I tell the lady at the desk I'm here to pick up the order, and she politely searches through a number of bags, and finds mine. Then to my horror, she proceeds to take out item by item from the bag, making sure everything is as it was ordered - I thought I was gonna die - and needless to say, I stay away from that particular store now (I also treasure the nice pink business suit I got at that time, because of all the humiliation it cost me).

2) General e-Bay auctions:
I figured a solution, to the brand-name on the box would be ordering items on e-bay. That is also how I acquired my first wedding-dress. Unfortunatelly it arrived in a box, with a huge label Athena's Bridals on the top - and again, I was facing a potential possibility of one of my neighbors seeing the box in the main hallway, before I got back home from work. And it's a real pitty too, because there are countless items, in my size, that are just perfect, and yet I can't order them.

3) CD-geared Ebay auctions:
There is a bunch of auctions geared towards CD's on e-bay - and I was really happy to find them, because most of them assure you, the items are shipped discretely. I did order a number of things from them, but where you gain in discrete shipping, you lose in selection. Most of the items they offer, are either too big, or too old, or just plain ugly. For example, you can hardly ever find a nice wedding gown, or a prom/bridesmaid's gown from them.

4) Post Office Box:
I haven't tried this idea, yet, but will in the near future. I intend to purchase a medium size box in my post-office, and then have items shipped there. There are two problems I see already, though. First of all - most places won't allow you to ship to a P.O. address (looks suspicious, especially if you are paying with a credit card). Bigger items won't fit in the box (a petticoat for example). It would still be awqward retrieving the items - and I'm sure the workers over there would know what you're up to.

5) UPS center pickup:
I got an idea about doing this, when I ordered some speakers, and in order for UPS to deliver them, somebody had to sign the reception. In any case, I missed UPS delivery 3 times in a row (and I guess none of my neighbors were home at the time either), and got a note from them, that the item can be picked up in their local office. I never went to the office (I called them and asked to ship it to my work address), but I think this would be a perfect way of doing it. I yet have to try it, but here's my plan. I'm going to order something on e-bay, and make sure that it is shipped via UPS, and request tracking number. Once the item gets shipped, I will call UPS, and tell them I won't be able to receive the item at home, and if I can pick them up at their center. The main problem is that I don't know if such in-transit change of shipping is possible.

6) Repackaging Service:
I found a company once, on internet that would receive your package, repackage it and then forward it to a customer. The problem was it was meant only for big businesses, not retail items.

That's all I have for now. Again - if you know of a way, I can safely order something without being embarrased later on, please share it, and thanks in advance.

Priscilla1018
03-13-2005, 03:16 PM
Hi Trinity24,

I used the PO box for about 1 year. Works well,and who cares what they think? You may wish to use a box in another city near you.About the shopping,the more you shop it does get easier.There is still an adrenaline rush but my money is as good as anyone elses.I know what I want and I think nothing about checking sizes or digging through the racks of panties or whatever.Keep reading the posts on the forum you will discover a new you.

Love and Hugs,
Priscilla

wilma
03-13-2005, 03:20 PM
I got a mail box at Mail boxes etc. It was for different reasons but it may work in your case. If the neighbors say anything about the catalogs just say junk mail. The shopping gets easier as you do it more. You will find shopping in person at Pennies or Sears is no big deal. The people there just want to do there job and go home, they really dont care who buys what. On line is great place to get clothes and a seperate mail box should cure all of the problems.
Or you can just wear the latest thing and flaunt it in front of your neighbors and shut them up. Just kidding. Have fun LOL Wilma

Jiera
03-13-2005, 03:23 PM
And I've had the SAME problem with Newport News. There is NO WAY to say there's something else in the bag, since it's exclusively a women's store.

I wait and place big orders next day air (or second day air) if I can, and I'll only order if I know I'll be home the next day. I've never requested that UPS hold packages, but I've asked the post office to hold packages many times.

I've ordered items from supposedly CD-friendly shops several times, and have been upset to find very prominent labels announcing the store's name. Pierre Silber, I'm looking in your direction...

Ji

trinity24
03-13-2005, 04:14 PM
Jiera - I like your idea with next day-air order - I may try it out. Also - how do you ask post-office to hold your packages?

Jiera
03-13-2005, 04:24 PM
Jiera - I like your idea with next day-air order - I may try it out. Also - how do you ask post-office to hold your packages?

Here's what you can do: order something online. If you know it's going to be shipped USPS, wait until they send you an email telling you that the order's been shipped. A day or so after your order's been shipped, go down to the post office and fill out a "hold my mail" form, and have all of your mail held for a few days. Be sure to check the box marked "hold my mail until I come to pick it up." Then, after you've given the package enough time to get there, go back to the post office and retrieve all of your mail.

Most places wil provide you with a tracking number, so you can time it better than this. Just wait until the package is a day or two away from arriving (you can check its progress online with the tracking #), and then hold your mail for only a day or two.

Ji

trinity24
03-13-2005, 04:51 PM
Thanks Jiera - another question. Can you recommend any online mainstream stores that do not place their labels, or item descriptions on the box?

Fallen Angel
03-13-2005, 04:59 PM
hi most of the companys i order from E-BAY ship in plain wraper and i have it shiped to my place of buisness never had a proublem yet xx

Jiera
03-13-2005, 05:09 PM
Thanks Jiera - another question. Can you recommend any online mainstream stores that do not place their labels, or item descriptions on the box?

Hmm. There aren't many, really. I've gotten some things from mydivascloset.com, and those packages never have a label on them (warning: if you order stockings, there will be a sticker that warns you of fragile material inside). Threewisheslingerie.com has a plain package as well, IIRC. Victorias Secret says VS Direct on the return address, but the bag with pink trim sorta gives it away anyway.

I just don't know about many mainstream stores, actually. Sorry! Since I switched over to my "always be there for the delivery" method of shopping, I haven't had to worry about it.

Hope this helps a little!

Ji

Stormgirl
03-13-2005, 05:24 PM
What about Fredrick's Of Hollywood? Do they put a huge label on it stating where its from or is it a little more discreet like "VS Direct?"

trinity24
03-13-2005, 05:36 PM
What about Fredrick's Of Hollywood?
I actually ordered something from Frederick's and it did come in a plastic bag, but with their label on it. Besides - their stuff only looks great on paper - once you get it, you realize it's cheap and of poor quality.

spaskinstyle
03-13-2005, 05:57 PM
I read threads like this and it really makes my blood boil. Especially when you are talking about CD friendly operations - those bloody stores should know better! I would never forgive myself if a gal was discovered or embarrassed because of a product that I shipped her.

I would suggest that you find yourself someone like me. I'm not self promoting here - just stating the facts. Get yourself a personal shopper. Someone you can trust, who will work with you, knows your measurements, works within your budget and is willing to learn your taste in clothes and things. You could find one at any lingerie shop in the city. Just find someone who is CD friendly by calling around to several stores and ask them to have one of their associates shop for you. A true confidant would never allow a client to be discovered embarrassed or anything of the kind.

Ok, now I feel better. Love to all of you. Theresa

Jiera
03-13-2005, 11:58 PM
What about Fredrick's Of Hollywood?
I actually ordered something from Frederick's and it did come in a plastic bag, but with their label on it. Besides - their stuff only looks great on paper - once you get it, you realize it's cheap and of poor quality.

I have very little experience with Fredericks. I did order a pair of light blue panties with BOOTY QUEEN written across the butt. How can you go wrong with those?

Ji

Julie Gaum
03-14-2005, 12:14 AM
I agree that their lingerie are filmsy---okay if you are very small. I shopped there a few times and found much better fitting underwear at the better department stores. At least it is easier to return. Also, the Haynes and Lane Bryant internet sites are cheaper and you can properly order from their sizing charts. Just My Size pantyhose are much better fits for those of medium or larger build. Take a piece of paper with you when visting stores while in male garb. On it write the items and sizes. Then refer to it when asking for help from salesgirls. End your transactions with: "I can return these if she finds they are not right?" Seldom will saleswomen figure they are for you---but so what?
Good luck
Julie

Ashley in Virginia
03-14-2005, 05:52 AM
I agree that their lingerie are filmsy---okay if you are very small. I shopped there a few times and found much better fitting underwear at the better department stores. At least it is easier to return. Also, the Haynes and Lane Bryant internet sites are cheaper and you can properly order from their sizing charts. Just My Size pantyhose are much better fits for those of medium or larger build. Take a piece of paper with you when visting stores while in male garb. On it write the items and sizes. Then refer to it when asking for help from salesgirls. End your transactions with: "I can return these if she finds they are not right?" Seldom will saleswomen figure they are for you---but so what?
Good luck
Julie
This is what I do when I shop for everything, clothes and make up. I just play dumb and get the girls that work there to help me out. :)

Carrah
03-14-2005, 08:31 AM
Being a CD is logical, since no human being is fully male or fully female. Both male and female terminology are physical descriptive's, but do not take into account all genetic realities or mental/psychological realities.

The CD is generally in possession of a more intelligent mind; a mind more focused on what is real - on reality; a mind generally capable of greater understanding.

However, knowing and doing are separate issues. Because one knows more of human nature and of human realities than the average person, does not equate to having more strength, discipline, or courage. Still, and in most cases, CD's are generally more in control of their lives even though their behavior might tend to suggest otherwise.

It can be said that in many cases, being or the practice of being a CD is situational. For many of us, exposure could result in anything from a lost friend to a lost life. So, perspective is an important factor in practicing CD'ism - if you will.

Perspective is the key; Perspective, A: the interrelation in which a subject or its parts are mentally viewed or B: the capacity to view things in their true relations or relative importance.

This post was not intended to directly assist you in obtaining materials required for the pursuit of your needs, wants, or desires. It was simply meant to encourage thought. It may prove beneficial to view the writings of one Vernon Coleman, http://www.vernoncoleman.com/main.htm under the heading "Miscellany."

BonnieJG
03-14-2005, 11:11 AM
well the best way i found is we have a value village store 2nd hand but most of the clothes are like new I have found Lots of dress, top, panits, shoes, and there are chep! And no one cares who you are and what you are doing I have go in both ways, I got 2 dress 3 tops and a long black one pece dress for $20.00 and the good thing is I can go each day and they have new stuff in all the time. I find more clothes that fit me there than going shooping in a mall stores.

Bonnie

wendy
03-14-2005, 11:18 AM
1) Shopping in person:
My first few items I obtained going into a department store far away from my neighborhood, like JCPenney's or Sears, late in the evening during weekdays, when there were few customers around, and grabbing a few items, quickly paying for them. It's been always taking a lot of courage though, and on more than one occasion I would make up my mind to go and buy something, only to chicken out the last moment, and simply leave.

I've never shopped on line, so I can't comment on any good or bad points about it.

I do however shop in person. Here are some tricks I do to build up courage :
- instead of walking around aimlessly in the women's clothing department, do some research on the web on women's clothing sizes. Get kind of familiar with sizes and terminology, like bra sizes. A cup is small while DD is huge. If you go to the lingerie section at least you will get an idea what cup size you're looking for.
- pick a time where traffic in the store is minimal. I find early in the morning the best, as here on a weekday morning, it is usually habited by senior citizens and they couldn't care less what you buy. I find if you go later at night, you get the teenagers and younger crowd, and it may cause some discomfort.
- go to stores you know won't have staff manning the women's department. If you combine this with going early, you will have the whole area to yourself for a good 20-30 min.
- Remember to include thrift stores in your itinerary. They have good prices and sometimes good selection.
- I always tell myself, I didn't drive all the way to the store for nothing, and I'm not leaving until I do buy something.

I used to do the same thing, I was soo self concious about people looking that I would quickly rush into the lingerie dept., pick up a few items and rush back out. Now, I could careless. I've shopped in the lingerie dept. when other women were shopping in there. To tell you the truth, they don't even bother looking up at me. For the most part I am ignored.

I find in today's society, men buying women's clothing is becoming more and more accepted.

Sandra H
03-14-2005, 05:50 PM
I shop in two main ways, both buying in stores and online mail order I have never had any problem with either. I think we always think because we know that these panties are for me so everyone knows they are for me. But like some of the other girls have said, most shop assistants just want to take the money and go home.

I learned this about a year ago when my wife was so sick I had to buy her cloths for her. These included panties, which because of her illness her tummy swelled up and as a result she needed to get much bigger cloths. I went to the shops because if I did not she would either have nothing to wear or she would be uncomfortable and I did not want her to be uncomfortable because I was too shy to buy some panties for her, how silly is that. I found that when I went to ask for help from shop assistance they could not help me enough. It dawned that most shop assistance will think that we are either buying them for our wife’s rather than for ourselves. So as the other girls have said, the more you buy from stores the better it gets.

As for mail order here in the UK, we are very lucky since they mostly come in a plain blue plastic bag. It could be panties, a bra or a pair of men’s socks. I have registered with several mail order web sites in my name of Sandra Heaton and the only problem I have is I get twice as much junk mail. Insurance for me and loans for Sandra. It is a thrill to get a letter to Mrs. Sandra Heaton.

wendy
03-15-2005, 11:43 AM
I shop in two main ways, both buying in stores and online mail order I have never had any problem with either. I think we always think because we know that these panties are for me so everyone knows they are for me. But like some of the other girls have said, most shop assistants just want to take the money and go home.

That is so true. I think the reason some of us change our minds at the last minute is because we know who the clothing we are buying is for (ourselves), so we literally psyche ourselves out into changing our minds.

Realistically, the salesperson/cashier couldn't really careless what you buy. To them, their job is to ring each customer thru quickly. It wouldn't surprise me if what they are thinking is what to drink/eat on their next coffee break.

Katrina
03-15-2005, 04:54 PM
I have bought most of my clothes in person without trying anything on, except one pair of shoes. To be honest, I had a good idea what my size was so I have very few clothes that are a little on the tight side. I don't think I have gotten any strange looks except maybe at a shoe store that only had womens shoes in it. It was the other customers in the store that gave me a funny look, not the people working there. I do want to get some new jeans and that will require a trip to the dressing room, so I will have to build up some bravery for that one though. I have also done the mail order thing, but the items came in plain packaging, so it didn't matter.

trinity24
03-20-2005, 02:32 PM
Just a quick note about buying makeup - for those of us who are too embarrassed to actually do it in person. Drugstore.com (I've been getting bodybuilding nutrition from them for years) has a beauty section, with all sorts of stuff - although I'm sure it's not the greatest selection, they do have one advantage. Their boxes are always marked drugstore.com, and there's no description of contents whatsoever - just the way I like it, with my nosy neighbors and all.