PDA

View Full Version : Of Mice and Men

ZenFrost
07-23-2007, 06:13 PM
Okay, so I totally screamed when the mouse ran across my toes. Wanna hear the rest of the story?

I was in the pantry getting something to eat a few days ago and the little bugger stared up at me with those little beady eyes of his. So I set up a mousetrap and managed to seal the pantry shut so he couldn't get out. I was hoping that he'd go for the peanut butter. He did. In fact, he licked it all off the trap without springing it, and then got himself into a box of cookies. So today I decided I'd had enough of this little game of cat and mouse we were playing and changed the game to snake and mouse. I let loose my python in the pantry on the same shelf as the mouse and waited for nature to take its course. Apparantly, nature's course involved the snake getting so distracted by all these cool things to climb on that he didn't even notice the mouse. The mouse, who meanwhile thought it was best to jump off the shelf and run into the nearby bathroom. By this time, I had enlisted the help of my father on this little mouse hunt, which was quickly turning into a long ordeal.

So we put the python in the bathroom with the mouse. And again, even when the mouse walked on top of him more than once, he didn't notice it. Instead, while the snake was hanging out in the corner, my father was preventing the mouse from leaving by blocking the doorway and I was trying to catch the mouse under a box. After a good ten minutes of fruitless efforts, the mouse made another mad dash across the floor. One that happened to be in the way of my feet. I know it wasn't a very manly thing to do and really didn't help my male image, but I screamed and jumped up on the toilet seat.

After several more minutes of trying in vain to catch the bloody thing, I decided that maybe my other snake might be of more assistance. So I went and got the corn snake, I was hoping that if he was in the opposite corner of the python, he might just catch the mouse without attacking or getting attcked by the other snake. With second snake in hand, I went to find the mouse. And couldn't find it. The bathroom isn't particularly big and there weren't a lot of places for it to hide, so I figured it had managed to escape past my dad.

Until I saw it sitting on top of the python.

But then I noticed the mouse was in a weird position... Aha! The snake had caught it! Or had it? At closer inspection, the snake had somehow managed to pin the mouse against the wall, but didn't really have it in any sort of eating position. A few more minutes of me trying to figure out what to do and then the snake was busy eating his little snack. He'd managed to get it into position, squeeze the life out of it, and then eat it. All of this while he was in a very awkward position wrapped around a small metal shelving unit. By the time I put the other snake away the python had finished eating and was ready to go back in his cage.

The moral of the story is twofold:

1. Snakes make better mouse-catchers than mouse traps do.

2. Just because I scream like a girl because of a mouse doesn't mean I'm any less of a transman... or does it?

Well guys, did I totally waste you time? Or have any of you ever had a transman+mouse=eeeek! experience? Or are you mad because this thread's too much like the 'squashed a bug one'?

Lovely Rita
07-23-2007, 06:24 PM
After your detailed description of this very heroic and valiant mouse, he won my heart. I was hoping the story would end with his escape. He was defintely mighty mouse, up against two humans and two snakes.

You just have to love him.

May he rest in pieces.

tun tun turron, (dirge playing for Mighty Mouse)

AllieSF
07-23-2007, 06:43 PM
I have caught mice in brown paper bags. They normally run along the edge of walls and like dark places to hide when being pursued. Take a sandwich bag and put it in the corner and slowly coax the mouse to move along the wall to the bag. Then to compensate for the tragic death of Mousy No. 1 you can close up the paper bag and take you ex little friend somewhere away from the house and let it go.

Alice B
07-23-2007, 07:01 PM
You scream and jump on the toliet to get away from a mouse, while you have a pet python and corn snake? That would make a great video clip that could win you a lot of money .:heehee:

Country girl
07-23-2007, 08:11 PM
Well I'm a girl not a man but I hate mice and snakes:eek:. So, I totally understand you screaming when the mouse ran across your toes on the other hand I can't even imagine you handling a snake much less two of them. :hugs: CG GG

CaptLex
07-23-2007, 08:23 PM
The moral of the story is twofold:

1. Snakes make better mouse-catchers than mouse traps do.

2. Just because I scream like a girl because of a mouse doesn't mean I'm any less of a transman... or does it?

Well guys, did I totally waste you time? Or have any of you ever had a transman+mouse=eeeek! experience? Or are you mad because this thread's too much like the 'squashed a bug one'?
Oh man, what a great story, Zen. :lol2: It's almost like the story of the tortoise and the hare - the snake took it's time, but in the end it showed that mouse a thing or two. :happy: Too bad you couldn't get pics of the mouse on top of the snake.

No, I don't think you're any less of a man (or transman), I don't like mice running around my feet either. :p

Tristan
07-23-2007, 08:50 PM
That story was hilarious. I wouldn't say you are any less then a man. I wouldn't touch a snake, not even Indie Jones likes snakes, but you have two as pets, that makes up for being afraid of a mouse, we all have those things. I'm with Lex I wouldn't like a mouse running across my feet either.

Bobbie cd
07-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Don't sweat it , Zen. I hate mieces to pieces, too. Icky little vermin they are! :eek:
Snakes on the other hand, can be very cool, as long as they are not poisonous. :D:D

Cai
07-23-2007, 09:54 PM
I think I'd scream if I mouse ran over my foot, too. Specially if it was bare at the time. I've had pet mice before, but a known and caged animal is a totally different thing from a loose one.

Snakes I like. Wouldn't want one as a pet, though. I have a healthy respect for creatures that could squeeze me to death.

ZenFrost
07-23-2007, 10:22 PM
The slight problem with the mice here is their potential to carry disease. Hantavirus is a big one, but there's also the bubonic plague. And I really don't want to get that. So that might account for some of my nervousness of having it run on me. Technically I'm not actually afraid of mice, I've had a number of small rodents as pets before, but I don't really like any potential disease carrying animals coming into direct contact with me.

Cai
07-23-2007, 10:27 PM
I wouldn't worry so much about bubonic plague, since that's cured with a few doses of antibiotic, but hantavirus is freaking scary. Something like an 80% mortality rate. Definitely stay away if you can.

Laurie909
07-23-2007, 11:18 PM
Well, a couple of years ago I was staying at some friend's apartment in New York. Well, one night a mouse got caught in one of their glue traps. The people's daughter (they were out for the evening) found it while I was babysitting her. She wanted to keep it it. I told her: "Get rid of that thing." Finally she put it (glue trap and all) in the hall. When her parents got home, it wasn't in the glue trap....so I guess it was not dead! Yikes!

ZenFrost
07-23-2007, 11:25 PM
I wouldn't worry so much about bubonic plague, since that's cured with a few doses of antibiotic, but hantavirus is freaking scary. Something like an 80% mortality rate. Definitely stay away if you can.

True, but getting the doses of the antibiotic for the plague is supposed to be a rather unpleasant experience. Either way, I didn't want that mouse running over my feet. And I definately didn't want him in my house, so I'm really happy that my snake caught him.

Kieron Andrew
07-23-2007, 11:26 PM
so I'm really happy that my snake caught him.
even if they were a bit lazy about the whole deal.....I reckon your snakes were enjoying watching you and your dad chasing after the mouse lol

Kate Simmons
07-24-2007, 07:14 AM
At least your python finally got it. My Son's ball python was too fussy and wouldn't have bothered with it. Sure transmen scream, the same that transwomen do, especially when getting surprised by these dang little critters.:happy:

Wendy me
07-24-2007, 12:57 PM
my dog's cat dose the mice thingy so we don't have to ..... it's a cat thingy......

SL
07-26-2007, 10:56 PM
Ok , now I understand the mouse/snake reference from the bug thread :happy:
And for the record I agree- pretty much no one would be crazy about a mouse running over their feet. It is rational, logical, and sane to run away from one. Its the filth/disease aspect that makes it so. I'm rather a germ-a-phobe so I stear clear of darn near anything I think's germy lol people included. Strangers in stores coughing because they have a cold is enough for me to scowl profusely, have the impulse to cover my face, and move. Heck I even wipe down the cat's face if I see him poking around on a tennis shoe with the bottom side flipped up. You get no man-points deducted for that. At least not over in my book.

ZenFrost
07-27-2007, 12:07 AM
Ok , now I understand the mouse/snake reference from the bug thread :happy:

I figured you would. :)