PDA

View Full Version : That dreaded "talk"

AmberTG
07-25-2007, 02:15 AM
Well, I had the beginning of "that talk" with my son today. Once I made up my mind to talk to him about it, it wasn't as hard as I thought. I told him the full reason that I've been going to therapy for a year or so. His comment to me was "well, everybody's got something". That may be the end of it, it may not be, I don't know. He has his own demons to deal with, I don't know what they are, I'm not sure he even knows. I know he has all the signs of clinical depression and I suspect that he may have inherited a bit more of my traits then I'm aware of.
At any rate, I did at least open the door for more discussion. He may be hanging around my house more often in the near future and he needs to know why there's "girly" things around here still , now that my ex (not his mother) has finished moving out.
Next up, my daughter, I'm not looking forward to that, but I'll have to approach that sometime in the near future.

melissaK
07-25-2007, 09:10 AM
Next up, my daughter, I'm not looking forward to that, but I'll have to approach that sometime in the near future.

IMHO don't wait on talking with her. I don't know your relationship with her, but I'm thinking any delay is more harmful than helpful to your ongoing relationship. After one child knows, the other needs to know from you lest they find out elsewhere and then think rightly or wrongly that they didn't matter enough for you to tell them, or you didn't trust them enough to tell them.

Hugs,
'lissa

Stlalice
07-25-2007, 10:22 AM
"Coming out" to and having the "talk" with anyone, particularly a family member can be really hard on your nerves. I did so a few years ago and no longer having to hide was a great relief. That said, no matter how well you think you know a family member there is and always will be an element of uncertainty where the result longterm is concerned. Still, I agree with the advice given here by Melissa K - since you have started the process it is best to get it done with since the news will travel no matter what your wishes on the subject. There are some things in this life that we as trans folk lead that once we do them can't be changed or taken back. "Coming out" is one such milestone. Good luck and hang in there kid - hope it goes well for you. :hugs:

JoannaDees
08-18-2007, 05:51 PM
Both of my girls, who now live with me, know of my ..... proclivities. I had no other word. They do not know all of my inner turmoils, but that's another story. They are OK with it. My son? I'm sure he knows something, I'm sure many know "something". I fear his feelings due to the fragile male ego and the dynamics with his friends.

Crap. I'm not helping, I'm just rambling and returning "home".

JamesAlan
08-18-2007, 11:25 PM
Telling family can be very hard. I'm not ts, but my girlfriend is. I've only told my mother and grandmother so far (all my friends know). That was rough, I can only imagine how difficult it would be to tell my child I was ts (not that either apply to me). Good luck on it.