PDA

View Full Version : What's in a Name?

SallyStone
07-26-2007, 08:30 PM
Over on the website TG.com, the "Poll of the Week" asked us to pick the title we most identify with. The choices were crossdresser, transgender, transsexual, transvestite, or TG Club Sandwich. I love the last choice!

They didn't list Drag Queen as a choice. Oh, hey, I know, the term drag queen is usually reserved for someone who is gay. Personally though, I like the term. And although I'm not gay, and even though I don't lampoon the female form or femininity, there is a great deal about the term fits me and my desire to dress as a woman.

What title do you prefer? Does anyone else identify with a drag queen (even a little bit)?

Be honest ladies!

valery
07-26-2007, 09:08 PM
Hy Sally,

good question, that's one of my favorites efforts to become clear with, trying to find out who I am.

So i read all the stuff where all those words came from and what they were originally designed for and how did they change in cultural sense over the years and I came to the result, that even church doesn't has so many antitheses.

it seems the TG.com is trying to get an idea to arrange new final definitions to capture our diversity changing smartly everyday a bit.

From my knowledge the word 'Drag Queen' is not definitly reserved for someone who is gay. Usually they peform for a gay and/or lesbian audience and for that I think the public defined that they must be gay, that's how words change.

let's take all of them (my choice) then the right one will be surely aboard.:heehee:

Darla in Pa.
07-26-2007, 09:11 PM
Not me for sure *S* Maybe a Queen that got dragged though LOL

Darla

Kate Simmons
07-27-2007, 05:21 AM
I've been called a lot of things, man, woman, man/woman, drag queen, transvestite, crossdresser,gay,queer, bi, nuts, the list goes on and on. Let people who need a definition call me what they want to, it's okay with me. I know who I am and what I am. I am Salandra and the name and what it means speaks for itself. As such, I have become complete within myself, self directed and self managed and take responsibility for what I do and am in charge of my own destiny and take my own path. It's my choice as to how I live and how I respond to the world. One of the main things I have learned is to appreciate and accept others for who they are. Everyone is important and everyone makes a difference, no matter what they are called.:happy:

Marla S
07-27-2007, 05:44 AM
I consider myself an effeminate man, which makes me transgendered under the current social settings, expressing it by crossdressing, which is the English translation of the 'latin' term transvestite, and who might want to eat a sandwich in a TG club.

@drag queens:
They can be funny, but I consider them more as an art form. I am not an art form, I am me.

MoonBaby GG
07-27-2007, 05:52 AM
I've been called a lot of things, man, woman, man/woman, drag queen, transvestite, crossdresser,gay,queer, bi, nuts, the list goes on and on. Let people who need a definition call me what they want to, it's okay with me. I know who I am and what I am. I am Salandra and the name and what it means speaks for itself. As such, I have become complete within myself, self directed and self managed and take responsibility for what I do and am in charge of my own destiny and take my own path. It's my choice as to how I live and how I respond to the world. One of the main things I have learned is to appreciate and accept others for who they are. Everyone is important and everyone makes a difference, no matter what they are called.:happy:

Salandra ~ Beautiful response and a healthy attitude! :happy:

RobertaFermina
07-27-2007, 08:39 AM
At my church, one of the Lesbian gals says I'm more like a Drag Queen than a 'Transgender' person.

Not sure if she is profoundly correct, or missing the point.

Anyhow, I see myself as Roberta, tell people I'm a crossdresser because that is what most folks need to hear, though I don't think labels work for me at all.

So y'all can call yourself what you please, and let's just have big lives and lots of fun and connection !

:rose: Roberta :rose: