PDA

View Full Version : You girls are a really bad influence...

jenniferj
07-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Thank you for that!

I don't know why but I really,really got the urge to go out this afternoon (I've been dressed since Friday morning -It's now Saturday night) and I'm home alone with just the dog.

Macys had an ad in the paper for the weekend for 9.99 bras, and I just had to see if they had anything I'd like. Do I dare go to Macys dressed?

I've gone out a couple of times in the last year to a not-local-by-a-long-shot StopandShop with no trauma, but to go and handle ladies undies in a crowd seemed like a much bigger deal.

Remembering your good advice, I dressed to blend in - jeans, white sneakers, and a red-orange ribbed top (well maybe blend not so much). With my still-in-development foam caboose and a nice bra and forms, my shape was something girlish (although about twice as big as most girls). I wore the bare minimum makeup (beard cover, foundation, setting powder, a little blush, just enough light eyeshadow to open up under my unplucked brows, a little mascara, and some natural toned lipstick. Frosted nail polish (about the same color as my natural nails), hoop earings, a couple of rings, hair pulled back softly into a ponytail - I hoped to appear well groomed, but not showy.

Guess what? Nobody said a thing. People smiled. A gentleman held a door for me (I really wanted to kiss him on his cheek for that, but...)

Starting slow I went to a Tarshay to get some dog food, pantyhose, and a few makeup items I was running low on. Actually, starting faster than I would have liked, the "low gas" light was on the car - requiring a stop at a gas staition much closer to home than I would have chosen. Pay at the pump, nobody noticed me - not even the highscool girl looking idly out her window while boyfriend pumped their gas.

At Tarshay, nobody came up to shoo me out of the cosmetic aisles and I even handed a closeby nailpolish to another female customer. She smiled and said "thankyou". The checkout girl was friendly and pleasant and even asked if I had/would like to have a Target charge card. Walking across the parking lot I couldn't help but stare at an adorable infant in a stroller. Her mom noticed and smiled that woman-to-woman smile of understanding. At me!

At Macys I deliberately parked at the far end of the garage and worked on the rhythm of my walk ( the hip/tush padding really adds some sway to my gait) By the time I was in the store, I was in the zone. I strolled to the escalators stopping to look at a unaffordable purse (I may have to get one of my own if this keeps up) and a sundress on sale.

Up and Up and into the unmentionables. I stopped and looked at a cute nightie, and then found the sales bras. Of course they were disorganized and mixed in size and I took 15-20 minutes to find 3 that I liked. The whole time, people were coming and going, paying me no attention at all. I went back and grabbed the nightie (can't wait for bedtime!) and walked up to the register. The older lady wasn't friendly, but after she rang up the sale, she said "Would you like to put this on your Macys card, Ma'am". I loitered a bit and noticed that she wasn't friendly with a GG and her spouse who were behind me in line. Leaving the store, I was approached by two girls in the cosmetics area, who smiled nicely and hoped to lure me in. One of them told me that she really liked my sweater. I smiled and said "thankyou" (all practical considerations aside, how great would it be to have that job and "have" to dress that nicely every day?) And I floated on a cloud across the garage to my car.

All done. Nope. I drove to an OrangeStore (HomeDepot) and walked in through the garden shop. The cashier smiled and waved. I wandered around the store in search of a small pump for a garden fountain - finaaly I spied a pair of salesfolk (1 guy, 1 girl) and approached. The guy was clearly uneasy, but the girl smiled and directed me to what I needed. But it was way too much (6x Harbor freight's sale price) so I left the store empty handed. The cashier waved again and smiled.

Uneventful drive home. Puppy was glad to see me - especially with food. Just another day....

BTW, I can't stress strongly enough that there is no way that anybody could look at me for 5 seconds and not know. I would fail the StevieWonder test. But everyone was nice. Maybe we're not such disgusting perverts after all :)

jj

annas_back
07-28-2007, 10:33 PM
lovely story, funny sounds like a day I had a while back!

TeriAnn
07-28-2007, 10:53 PM
Sounds as if you had a lovley time. What you did is what I am striving for, I have been working on my on look and the way I walk. My ultimate desire is to go to a mall shop for a new outfit and shoes to go with it. Hope you will post pix of some of your adventures. TeriAnn

Tamera
07-29-2007, 10:23 AM
Way to GO Jen,
The more we go out, the more we EDUCATE the people. Everytime I go out and asked "WHY I DRESS" I educate them on the medical reasons, such as the hormone imbalance. This lets them know that we are not just a bunch of JERRY SPRINGERS walkin around.
Hugs,
Tamera

christianna
07-29-2007, 02:48 PM
Thank you for that!

BTW, I can't stress strongly enough that there is no way that anybody could look at me for 5 seconds and not know. I would fail the StevieWonder test. But everyone was nice. Maybe we're not such disgusting perverts after all :)

jj

If that's your picture... I don't see how you can't pass as a woman... But then, I just spent the weekend at gay pride... where the lines between men and women blur... But, you have a gorgeous face. You look more like a woman that a lot of women do... Am I allowed to say that? Anyway, I just didn't get why you wouldn't pass, so I was wondering if that's just some fake picture... like when people use cartoons. Not that it is really any of my business and I'll understand if you don't reply.

jenniferj
07-29-2007, 02:54 PM
Oh dear!

No, Christianna, that's not me (How I wish it were!). My Avatar is Joan Severance - an incredibly gorgeous model/actress. And it was taken for a photoshoot in Playboy 25 years ago.

Some day I will work up the courage to try to take some decent pictures of my actual self - Not there yet in terms of confidence.

jj

christianna
07-29-2007, 03:11 PM
I feel really stupid...but a little less ignorant. I'm going to look up old movies of Joan S. now. Thanks for the info.

christianna
07-29-2007, 03:12 PM
I'm glad you had such a good time out!

Dita_B
07-29-2007, 03:48 PM
Sounds like you had an outing experience very similar to mine which I posted a little while ago.

Good for you! See, going out in public is not as bad as you feared it would be and way better than you ever thought it could be...

I am so glad you shared your experience with us. I hope that many more members will come forwards with their stories to inspire all the others that are still waiting in the wings, to come out as well.

As you already mentioned, blending in is the key. In your case wearing jeans and top was the key.

BTW: How did you manage to put your hair up in a pony tail? I'd LOVE to do that, but I guess that my wig would not allow it. If you know something concerning putting your hair up like that, that we don't know about, please share it with us all...

Hope to read more out-in-town stories from you soon.

You rock girl!

:love:Dita.

Fab Karen
07-29-2007, 03:55 PM
"that's why they call me...
Bad Company. And i can't deny,
Bad Company, til the day i die" :D

jenniferj
07-29-2007, 05:18 PM
Dita,

It's easy to put my hair into a ponytail because it's really my hair. It's 2 or 3 inches below my shoulders, thinner than I would like, and gray-black. This is something relatively new for me (if taking 3 years to get this long can be considered new), and will someday need to be cut short again.

I told the story in the "how long would you grow your hair" thread, but it's intended to be a crop for donation when it gets long enough...

Thanks for the encouragement and kind words!

jj