PDA

View Full Version : The Four Stages of Crossdressing

windycissy
07-30-2007, 10:32 PM
From personal experience and observation, I’ve found that there are four stages in the life of a crossdresser. Depending on where you are in the continuum, you probably fall into one of these categories, and if you have stopped progressing that’s where you’ll likely stay:

Stage One: Occasionally wears an item of female clothing, for example panties or hose under guy clothes, may experiment with makeup.

Stage Two: Has assembled a complete woman’s wardrobe which is worn in privacy. Purging is most prevalent during this phase.

Stage Three: Has ventured out occasionally, but only alone with no interaction, for example driving to the gas station or window shopping.

Stage Four: Actively passing, shopping for women’s clothing en femme, interacting with strangers, other crossdressers, or admirers.

Beyond Stage Four, transitioning into a totally female lifestyle, is beyond the scope of this poll….which stage best describes you?

Diane098
07-30-2007, 10:35 PM
Definatly in stage two and hoping to skip stage three and go to four on my honeymoon.

angelfire
07-30-2007, 11:10 PM
I am definitely stage 1. I want to start experimenting with make-up, but haven't really up until this point. Wore lipstick once, and eyeshadow twice (once for halloween, once for practice. I was going as a fallen angel, so thought dark eyes were suitable).

chucks
07-30-2007, 11:13 PM
going out in dresses, etc. not trying to pass. around people.

Jenna1561
07-30-2007, 11:50 PM
I am definitely a Stage 4. I enjoy presenting as a woman and absolutely love to shop. Shopping, dining, movies, sporting events, paying bills, banking, site seeing. I want to take some dance lessons, ballroom or maybe square dancing, but I'm going to look for ballroom lessons first.

Jenna

marisa
07-31-2007, 12:35 AM
I am firmly in stage two but slowly working towards stage 4.

joaniieann
07-31-2007, 12:40 AM
Love to go to certain clubs in the evening. Haven't been to the super market, yet.
Joan

Phyliss
07-31-2007, 03:55 AM
I'm a stage three. However the times I have "gone out" I've been with at least another person. Does that count? or am I a stage 2.98?

Marla S
07-31-2007, 04:31 AM
None of the options. Closest is four.

Suzie S.
07-31-2007, 04:44 AM
Definitely stage two for me. I'd love to go out, but have only done so on halloween, and that doesn't really count. Maybe someday...:heehee:

Joy Carter
07-31-2007, 04:50 AM
Stage four here. I think we are a rarity. Because so far I have only found two other girls willing to go out among the "normal" people. I have meet allot of girls in trannie bars. Just none willing to shop or enjoy being out in public.

Staci G
07-31-2007, 04:52 AM
stage 2 right now i have been at stage 4 but has been several years since. After I got married and found the ONE TO CURE ME I purged everything and I am in the process or rebuying. OH yeah I shaved my legs this week woooohoooo

Sally24
07-31-2007, 05:03 AM
Stage four here. I think we are a rarity. Because so far I have only found two other girls willing to go out among the "normal" people. I have meet allot of girls in trannie bars. Just none willing to shop or enjoy being out in public.
Have to agree Joy. Of the gurls I personally know that are stage 3/4, only a small percentage go out during the day or to regular venues. Most restrict their dressing to clubs and night time. Should have probably had a choice 3.5 - Dressing in public but mostly at TG venues and clubs not mainstream restaruants and stores in the daylight.

I pretty much go where I want to or need to. If I find I need to buy something while out en femme I just stop at the nearest store. Went to the DMV last month and sat with strangers and kids for 45 minutes waiting to get my picture taken for a non-drivers id. Didn't get any "looks" from anyone, including the professionals behind the counter.

Keely
07-31-2007, 05:13 AM
I'm a stage 3 and that is probably as far as I'll be going.

Brianna Lovely
07-31-2007, 05:38 AM
Stage four, well kind of.

I mostly go out in the day time doing normal things. However, I consider myself a TG person, a male trying to show her feminine self. So I wear fem clothing and carry a purse, all the time.

When I have the time, I'll do full makeup, then I wear a wig and forms, but usually reserve "full-dress" for special occasions, like a nice dinner or going to the theater.

Most of the time, if I"m going to be meeting other "girls", I'll fully dress.

Sharon B.
07-31-2007, 06:00 AM
Stage 2 but have gone on to stage 3 three or four times and really enjoyed it looking forward to trying stage 4 and maybe beyond.

Dita_B
07-31-2007, 06:18 AM
Stage Four: Actively passing, shopping for women’s clothing en femme, interacting with strangers, other cross dressers, or admirers.

Definitely stage 4, but not yet to the stage of "Freely mingle in society, presenting as a woman", that would be pushing it.

I am missing a category as stage 4, "out with interaction", but not yet to the point of "freely mingle in society". I still have my limitations so I don't qualify for the "free" mingling yet.

:love:Dita

Slip Affinity
07-31-2007, 07:06 AM
I voted 3 but only because I did in the past. The last few years I have pretty much confined my dressing to in home only.

Lilith Moon
07-31-2007, 07:10 AM
When circumstances allow, I venture out. Mostly I dress in private..if at all these days.

dskin
07-31-2007, 07:13 AM
Stage3 .most surly i enjoy driving around,going through the window express to get my coffees; in the morning. Getting gas at full service

jeri1973
07-31-2007, 07:16 AM
I for a long time was stuck at number 1 but over the past year I have become and very strong 2 and I think by the end of this year I'll be into the 3s and headed to more than 4

Mary Jane
07-31-2007, 07:20 AM
I am at stage two and quite happy and satisfied at this time.

stacie
07-31-2007, 07:33 AM
I am pre-op, so I guess I am pass stage 4. But we all start out at stage 1...

misspatty
07-31-2007, 07:52 AM
I figure that I have one foot in stage 2 and one in stage three. I sometimes go out, partially dressed but not trying to pass but only interact with the girls at the Avenue store who have made me feel comfortable and welcome.

Patty

Jennifer in CO
07-31-2007, 08:02 AM
From personal experience and observation, I’ve found that there are four stages in the life of a crossdresser. Depending on where you are in the continuum, you probably fall into one of these categories, and if you have stopped progressing that’s where you’ll likely stay:

Stage One: Occasionally wears an item of female clothing, for example panties or hose under guy clothes, may experiment with makeup.

Stage Two: Has assembled a complete woman’s wardrobe which is worn in privacy. Purging is most prevalent during this phase.

Stage Three: Has ventured out occasionally, but only alone with no interaction, for example driving to the gas station or window shopping.

Stage Four: Actively passing, shopping for women’s clothing en femme, interacting with strangers, other crossdressers, or admirers.

Beyond Stage Four, transitioning into a totally female lifestyle, is beyond the scope of this poll….which stage best describes you?

I guess those of us who wear fem clothing most of the time but still present a male presentation fall outside the norm then. Lets see...panties 24/7 for 30 years so we're past that. Gosh...I havent worn makeup in years so thats out. Purging...can throwing out your 70's hip-huggers (that you haven't fit in for 20+ years) count as purging? I buy gas everyday without interaction paying at the pump so thats out. Since I wear fem cloths everyday, shop, interact and pass cars with mine does that count? Then there was the almost 6 years I lived full time in the early 80's so I guess beyond works for that.....

Its an interesting process this thing we call life. Very few can fit into a box but many, in order to fell safe, need boxes to define where they/we are in the process. I like to find boxes, open them, and dump them out. If I can use it, it goes on the shelf...if not, I throw it out....like 30 year old hip-huggers.

guess Im too old to care anymore....

Jenn

Patty
07-31-2007, 08:02 AM
about a 3.6

Teresa Amina
07-31-2007, 08:23 AM
Stage 4 heading for Beyond. I think I skipped #3 altogether; my first time out included a trip to the mall to return something (interaction) as well as a Trans Event and getting gas.

Diane1950
07-31-2007, 08:26 AM
Right now, I'm somewhere between 1 and 2, and aiming to top out at the 3 level

Michelle 51
07-31-2007, 08:35 AM
Stage two Goal is 3 maybe 4 Stage 1 seemed to last forever hope the next 2 go faster justabit

Christine Andrews
07-31-2007, 08:36 AM
Right now I'm 1.5 - mostly a 1 but now have the clothes to move into stage 2.

I 'll be content with stage 2 untill I've lost some weight and and built up some confidence (confidence in myself and that I can look more than a guy in a dress and that there are no more elements of indecisiveness caused by guilt and fear) then who knows what'll happen from there.

Until then I'm a happy 1.5/2:happy:

Kirtsy

uknowhoo
07-31-2007, 08:37 AM
Hiya Windy, and thanx for the poll. I'd respectfully suggest a stage 3.5, for those like myself who've been out n about a bit, with interaction, but are still a ways from freely mingling without limitations. I'd guess there are a fair number of us who'd classify ourselves as such.

:hugs:

Emily Ann Brown
07-31-2007, 08:54 AM
Stage 4 for sure !

Emily Ann

JoAnnDallas
07-31-2007, 09:11 AM
When I came to Dallas in 2005, I was at stage 1/2. Last year I went from stage 2/3 to 4 then back to 3 until May of this year and I went back to 4. At the same time I don't really count the stage 4 last year as a real stage 4, more like a 3.5. LOL It was HEF2006, which was a CD convention. The hotel staff knew we were CDers, the guests knew we were CDers, but at the same time it was at a public Hotel and I was out in public.
But this past May, I firmly went stage 4 by going to convient stores, buying a bottle of water and then going to Payless to buy a pair of shoes.

SatinDoll00
07-31-2007, 09:27 AM
I voted stage 2, although I have gone out and interacted with people on 2 occassions. I hope to move into stage 3 and later stage 4...but for now, I am still working my look, my voice, my mannerisms...and having fun doing it.

Morgan

Angie G
07-31-2007, 09:32 AM
I''m stage 2 steping into 3 sometimes when I work nights I dress on the way home get dressed in dark parking area the wife knows so no problem going in the house :hugs:
Angie

Toyah
07-31-2007, 09:37 AM
2:thumbsup: and staying there

Ashley1
07-31-2007, 09:53 AM
I think that I am somewhat in stage 3, and I will perhaps meet some other cross dressers; however, I don't expect to go much beyond that.:hugs:
:love:
Ashley

NovaScotia
07-31-2007, 09:55 AM
I have been at stage two since I was eight years old. I never have felt confident enough to move on; and now with my older body, I may never have the chance. Although, as a new member to this forum, the confidence and enthusiasm is growing to the point I am trying to figure out a way to come out to my wife. Again, I love this forum!

Mary447
07-31-2007, 10:52 AM
Hey girls;
I guess I'm kind of like a 1 1/2.....
I pretty much wear heels and stockings and panties at home, when no one's around....but I am assembling somewhat of a wardrobe now....shopping at Payless for my first pair of heels was quite an experience....I thought my heart was going to pop out of my chest...LOL...need some bra's.
I'm getting an interest in buying maybe some skirts, tops....I need wigs, for certain....and I want to start using makeup, lipstick, etc.....some of you experienced girls may laugh at this....but WOW !!! this is all new to me and I'm sooooo wanting to move on....but have a little trepidation as well....and how will I ever explain this to my wife if she should find out ??? YIKES !!!
but it feels sooooooo good to dress and I want to eventually get to stage 3....dare I say step 4........
Thanks girls
Kisses:battingeyelashes::kiss:

Mary

Dita_B
07-31-2007, 11:09 AM
Hey girls;
I guess I'm kind of like a 1 1/2.....
I pretty much wear heels and stockings and panties at home, when no one's around....but I am assembling somewhat of a wardrobe now....shopping at Payless for my first pair of heels was quite an experience....I thought my heart was going to pop out of my chest...LOL...need some bra's.
I'm getting an interest in buying maybe some skirts, tops....I need wigs, for certain....and I want to start using makeup, lipstick, etc.....some of you experienced girls may laugh at this....but WOW !!! this is all new to me and I'm sooooo wanting to move on....but have a little trepidation as well....and how will I ever explain this to my wife if she should find out ??? YIKES !!!
but it feels sooooooo good to dress and I want to eventually get to stage 3....dare I say step 4........
Thanks girls
Kisses:battingeyelashes::kiss:

Mary

Speaking for myself and I think it is safe to say that the majority of us would NEVER laugh at the experiences of a blossoming newbie, as we all, with no exception, have been there and done that.

Reading your story only reminds us all our own baby steps on our way to perfection.

Go Girl,

:love:Dita.

Deborah Jane
07-31-2007, 11:33 AM
Stage 2 But i really want to gain more confidence so i can reach stage 3. This site is helping, by reading the posts on here i am gaining more expieriance and trying different styles[wig colour,style,doing my makeup differant etc]

Mary447
07-31-2007, 11:42 AM
Thanks Dita,
kisses, girl

Mary

chrissietoo
07-31-2007, 11:52 AM
Chrissie is mostly a private girl, but sometimes goes out discreetly on her own or with a gg friend and a particular male friend/admirer.

Dressing, even in private, carries over to the rest of her life, and so in her heart, Chrissie is Stage Four all the way, whether other people notice or not!

xoxo chrissie

KandisTX
07-31-2007, 12:00 PM
Now, I voted for Stage Four (Stage Four: Actively passing, shopping for women’s clothing en femme, interacting with strangers, other crossdressers, or admirers.), however this one does not entirely cover me. I do some of these things, but not all of them as my dressing time is limited at best.

Kandis:love:

vivianann
07-31-2007, 12:19 PM
I am at stage 4 preparing for stage 5 . right now I do dress with full makeup, and wig, even though I do not pass 100% I go grocery shopping, gas station, bank, eat out at restaurants, and to parties enfemme. I dress to blend in while shopping, and I dess a little more fancy at parties.

Charleen
07-31-2007, 12:54 PM
3&1/2.

Hali
07-31-2007, 12:54 PM
Am in stage 3, but its really the most difficult and most risky, but ma stage 3 started with night-outs, then day time adventures (i still go out in the night more).

teresa jeen
07-31-2007, 01:39 PM
im definitly a stage three at this point. i go for rides and walks, by my self. cant do makeup(beard) but toes and fingernails for sure. toes stay painted so when in public i can wiggle them and giggle to my self:heehee:

Kellicd
07-31-2007, 01:50 PM
some stage 3 experience as well. I would love to go full stage 4!:drink:

sandyl2sc
07-31-2007, 01:55 PM
I am currently stage 2 due to facial hair (mustache and goatee). The facial hair is part of my work persona. Before I grew my facial hair (about 5 years ago) I was a stage 4; I loved going shopping, to the movies, and clubs. I really miss stage 4 but one has to eat.

tealannette
07-31-2007, 02:01 PM
stage three for me.always wanting more.

Christine XX
07-31-2007, 02:10 PM
I voted 2, but I think 2.5 is closer. I've done a couple of solo night drives, but not enough to really feel like I'm stage 3. In the dark, in the car, with locked doors is almost as safe as home.

-Christine

RobertaFermina
07-31-2007, 02:13 PM
Great Question WindyCissy !

Viewing the Poll Results really gives me a great measure of how we are.

I'm more of a stage 4, though not consistently taken as a woman, I'm presenting my feminine best !

:rose: Roberta :rose:

sissystephanie
07-31-2007, 02:15 PM
I guess I am a stage Three, since I do out dressed enfemme often. But I am not trying to pass, don't wear full makeup or a wig. Usually wear lipstick, but not bright red. Maybe I am a 2.98.:heehee:

Sissy

More Girl than man

danielle40I
07-31-2007, 02:26 PM
I suppose I fit in where Dita is. I've been out (Eureka Springs En Femme a few years ago and recently with my fiance for dinner) but never freely mingling with "John and Jane Q"...ALONE! (YIKES)...YET!
So I guess that gets me to a 3.98. Maybe a few Manhattans? :drink:

Dani

Jennilouise
07-31-2007, 03:21 PM
i am in between stage 2 and stage 3 as i would love to dress 24/7 but are unable as my partners child has lots of her school mates around so it is very difficult for me and the other thing is i have not come out to my perants yet but have been thinkinng about it.

Elle1946
07-31-2007, 03:28 PM
I mainly am a type two, but have gone out with heels hose and shorts as long as did not need to get out of the car.

Kaila
07-31-2007, 04:34 PM
I'm a solid Stage 2. I have never been outside of my house dressed but I think I would enjoy moving to Stage 3 after I get more confidence in my looks.

Kaila

Kristen Kelly
07-31-2007, 05:09 PM
Stage 4.5...... I am enfem even in drab, although I am not out in work I have grown my hair out, have it highlighted, remained shaved year round, have my ears pierced, eyebrows waxed and shaped, and keep my toes painted even out to the beach. Wear some makeup even in guy mode; go out dressed day and night to mainstream restaurants, malls, grocery stores, and the mall. I am transitioning into a totally female lifestyle, just not on a totally full time basis.

windycissy
07-31-2007, 11:05 PM
Wow, I am blown away by the responses to my little unscientific poll....we have such an amazing group here! So far it's looking pretty much like a bell-shaped curve, with most of us clustered in the middle....for those who wished I'd added more categories, the rules limit the number to four, and I'm impressed by the creativity of those who put themselves in between, like 3.5 etc....let's face it, to one degree or another all of us are "hooked" and the only question is how far we've gone with it, and how far we'll continue to go....

Robin Leigh
07-31-2007, 11:18 PM
I'd respectfully suggest a stage 3.5, for those like myself who've been out n about a bit, with interaction, but are still a ways from freely mingling without limitations. I'd guess there are a fair number of us who'd classify ourselves as such.On that scale, I suppose I'm a 3.25. I go out of the house virtually every time I dress up fully, but I don't mix with others, and don't interact much. I still get a little bit nervous when asking for stuff at 7-11. :o

Robin

TracyH
07-31-2007, 11:21 PM
Once I was out dressed and someone looked at me. Can I vote number four?

TrickOChic
07-31-2007, 11:47 PM
I'm definitely in stage 4

Eva Marie
08-01-2007, 12:14 AM
I'm not sure. I never stopped at "Stage 1"; went right on through. "Stage 2" doesn't, to me, seem worthwhile except perhaps to rehearse the dressing/cosmetic application drill, and there I've managed to shave considerable time and develop a routine. But otherwise, why seclude myself and just "dress", nothing else. "Stage 3" probably fits me as well as any. Perhaps I should state my position this way: I dress for my physical comfort, underware included. Entirely depending upon the scheduled activities I dress for my comfort and that includes the utility of the garments. I don't wear skirts when no one else (GG's) is wearing skirts. Same applies to cosmetics. The appropriate attire at the appropriate time, and don't make a splash. "Stage 4", I doubt it. At my time in life I harbor few illusions (I believe) and furthermore have no particular desire to effectively alter myself in any manner. I view what I do on this stage as an art form, and as I always have, try to do my best performance with the means I possess.

laura.lapinski
08-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Stage 1.5:happy:

Victoria Anne
08-01-2007, 12:30 PM
I would have to say stage 3 headed to stage 4 , then again I underdress every day ( panties and bra ) jeans evryday to work , my earrings and ladies socks so stage 3.5 ?

kassandra richard
08-01-2007, 01:34 PM
I voted 3 but, on reflection, I guess a limited 4 would be the right answer. Limited by available time alone, that is. My wife would be suspicious if I said I was going to the mall for a couple of hours by myself :)

Kassandra

Nicole42
08-01-2007, 01:46 PM
oh! what a thrill!!

CarrieAnneEvers
08-01-2007, 09:16 PM
I was a stage three for many years, but have been a stage 4 for a few years since Denae Doyle's video helped me with fem movement. Gotta work on the voice though.

Butterfly Bill
08-01-2007, 09:20 PM
None of the above. I freely mingle in society, but I don't present as a woman. (I just wear the clothes.)

Paula G
08-01-2007, 10:24 PM
I am definitely Stage 2. Would like to try Stage 3 but the only thing my wife asked me not to do was go out dressed (she would fear for my safety), and I love her too much not to honor it.

Stephanie-L
08-02-2007, 01:25 AM
At various times I may be stage 2, 3 or 4. I own several complete outfits, and mostly dress at home in privacy, however I have gone out fully dressed, and have occasionally gone shopping and interacted with others en femme. So, I put myself in stage 3 as that seems to be the middle groubd of where I am. Stephanie

Sheri 4242
08-02-2007, 02:12 AM
for those who wished I'd added more categories, the rules limit the number to four

Your poll is very interesting -- and I, too, have been impressed with the number of respondents who have found a way to answer that they really fit somewhere else . . . Robin Leigh said she was a 3.25 -- Victoria Anne said she was 3 heading to 4, then settled for 3.5 -- Patty creatively put it that she had, "one foot in stage 2 and one in stage three" -- SissyStephanie guesses she is a 3, then decides maybe she is a 2.98. Then someone (was it Rachel?) that said they were a 4.5?!!

I am convinced that to get a really accurate picture, you'd have to add more selections. That said, I think if you will check the rules, you could have had 10. When you opt to do a poll, there is a box that shows "4," but you can change that number and the instructions say the limit is 10.

I can see where I would have to join the "creative crowd" to answer the poll. There is not a day that I don't underdress -- don't even own any men's underwear, have nothing but panties. When the weather gets cool, I always wear thigh hi's. Whenever I wear jeans, every pair I own are female brand (Gap or VS's London Jeans). All of my tennis shoes are women's. Most of my shorts are female brand. Always dress girly girl for bed, just as my wife always wears a man's t-shirt to bed -- lol. Now, that is my usual. There was a period when I always did, and now that we have house guests for a year or slightly longer, there are days that I sometimes can, dress completely in private. I have ventured out dressed en femme -- there was a time when I wanted no interaction, then that changed to wanting interaction (and, wow, if you want attention and interaction, get remarried en femme in Vegas!) --- so I feel I am all over your poll as to where I fit.

I truly appreciate your attempt, but find it, as worded, too limiting and as sort of boxing people into descriptions that are too narrow. There are too many things that fall between the categories as worded. Check with the moderators about the number of categories. A new poll might be more revealing and relevant.

"Mary"
08-02-2007, 03:25 PM
By the numbers, it Looks like I'm in good company. Hoping to graduate up to #3 gradually. I''ve been out three times. Twice Halloween.

Diana

jenny logan
08-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Definitely at stage two. Once the youngest moves out ( about three more years) I will work to proceed eventually to stage four. Until then I will have been dressing for almost 40 years. Can't happen soon enough

Jenny L.

Marcie Sexton
08-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Count me in as a 3 +. There may some truth in the statement made that we dress only at nite( let me bite you on the neeck:heehee: ) or at TG friendly clubs...

I can understand why, especially if the general public is like they are here...Clannish to say the least...

I personally love to go out and do some wreckless window shopping with my wife...but, we all must consider the reprucussions of dressing in public...for some of us there is the oppurtunity to dress and get lost in the shuffle of the crowd, but when the crowd is less than 1000 and most every one knows every one, then we "must" pick and choose our chances to dress and enjoy our time out...

...But then again this is only my opinion...which carries no value except to me...

Juanita O
08-02-2007, 05:11 PM
well i guess that i am about a 2.5. and may stay there for a while.

Michelle (Oz)
08-03-2007, 03:06 AM

Stage 4 but 2 qualifications. I guess with skills mastered I now moderately pass but I don't actively pass, i.e. I interact freely with others speaking with a male voice. There is an honesty in this presentation and a good deal of friendships have resulted.

The second qualification is that I will go almost anywhere but I would not go where I wouldn't want my wife to go. Tread carefully to avoid danger. Recently I've flown a number of times en femme.

I have arrived at stage 4 in just over a year. It's about confidence and opportunity reinforced by positive experiences. Yet I still remember vividly my first time out.

Michelle (Oz)

Cindi Ann Kelly
08-03-2007, 05:39 AM
I am at stage 2. Have moved to stage 3 a couple
of times and loved it.

cindi

sarah378619
08-03-2007, 10:00 AM
I have been at stage 4 but have been at 2 for quite a few years.
Sarah

Charlene Ogden
08-03-2007, 10:14 AM
I'm somewhere between stage 3 and stage 4. I go out in public 1-3 times a year and usually do interact with sales clerks and other crossdressers. It's not uncommon for me to have a 10 minute conversation with a woman while shopping en femme.
I have not completely arrived at stage 4 because I don't pass well enough to freely go about my business.
I'm very happy where I am and plan on staying at this level. I only hope to improve my female appearance.

Claudia Zylindrias
08-03-2007, 10:39 AM
A active stage 3 beyond that i doubt. I will never be able to pass, i have the alpha male build with the Gucci girl attitude...lol

windycissy
08-04-2007, 12:50 PM
Your poll is very interesting -- and I, too, have been impressed with the number of respondents who have found a way to answer that they really fit somewhere else . . . Robin Leigh said she was a 3.25 -- Victoria Anne said she was 3 heading to 4, then settled for 3.5 -- Patty creatively put it that she had, "one foot in stage 2 and one in stage three" -- SissyStephanie guesses she is a 3, then decides maybe she is a 2.98. Then someone (was it Rachel?) that said they were a 4.5?!!

I am convinced that to get a really accurate picture, you'd have to add more selections. That said, I think if you will check the rules, you could have had 10. When you opt to do a poll, there is a box that shows "4," but you can change that number and the instructions say the limit is 10.

I can see where I would have to join the "creative crowd" to answer the poll. There is not a day that I don't underdress -- don't even own any men's underwear, have nothing but panties. When the weather gets cool, I always wear thigh hi's. Whenever I wear jeans, every pair I own are female brand (Gap or VS's London Jeans). All of my tennis shoes are women's. Most of my shorts are female brand. Always dress girly girl for bed, just as my wife always wears a man's t-shirt to bed -- lol. Now, that is my usual. There was a period when I always did, and now that we have house guests for a year or slightly longer, there are days that I sometimes can, dress completely in private. I have ventured out dressed en femme -- there was a time when I wanted no interaction, then that changed to wanting interaction (and, wow, if you want attention and interaction, get remarried en femme in Vegas!) --- so I feel I am all over your poll as to where I fit.

I truly appreciate your attempt, but find it, as worded, too limiting and as sort of boxing people into descriptions that are too narrow. There are too many things that fall between the categories as worded. Check with the moderators about the number of categories. A new poll might be more revealing and relevant.

Thanks Sheri, I didn't realize you could change the poll setup...but I don't think I'll try to come up with more categories. For some reason this poll has really resonated, and maybe one of the reasons is it's inspired girls to think about where they are with their dressing...besides, whether there were four categories or forty, I'm sure there would still not be enough to capture the individual reasons why each of us is so drawn to this amazing, scary, wonderful thing that we love to do, Windy

Rachel Morley
08-04-2007, 01:50 PM
I'm trying to figure out what number I am. Windy, you and I have met "in real life" and we have even had dinner out at "regular" restaurants on more than one occasion, both in Sacramento and San Francisco ... how would you describe me? You see, I cheat, because I have Marla (she's my wife for those who don't know) who does most if not all of the talking when I go out. I know you are definitely a 4 .. me .... not sure, I'd say 3.5 (maybe?).

windycissy
08-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Rachel, you are without question a "4" all the way. In terms of appearance and bearing, you present as a woman, and you know how to dress to accentuate your feminity. You are very lucky to have Marla, I suppose you would have more self-confidence if you had to strike out on your own, but take it from me sister, you are the real deal!

Rachel Morley
08-04-2007, 02:07 PM
Rachel, you are without question a "4" all the way. In terms of appearance and bearing, you present as a woman, and you know how to dress to accentuate your feminity. You are very lucky to have Marla, I suppose you would have more self-confidence if you had to strike out on your own, but take it from me sister, you are the real deal!
OMG! :c9: .... OK I'm a 4 then :D :hugs: :love:

kay_jessica
08-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Guess I'm well beyond 4.

Hugs

Kay

FrancineCD
08-04-2007, 07:35 PM
i am stage 2 but the other day i had to go and pick up my uncle's truck (he was out of town with family on vaction) at his house. i went and picked it up en femme. i even remembered to bring extra lipstick and a purse. this was a big step for me. even though i went at 5:30 in the morning (had to get it in the morning) and the only person i saw was the toll collecter.

i would go out more but my make up skills are still lacking. i only been able to do lipstick and mascara well. luckily my facial hair is so light that it only need to shave once every 3 days.

Francine

Kate Simmons
08-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Good gravy Windy, I think I'm off the chart. I do more than mingle, I push the envelope. Did I say that? Oh, okay--I'll settle for 4 I guess.:happy:

sammie
08-04-2007, 09:15 PM

I'm older than most cds and I seem to be a bit confused about the stages of cding. We all have our own individual styles when it comes to crossdressing whether it be M/F or F/M , hovever I do feel that we definitely go thru different stages until we find ourselves comfortably ready to exit stealth mode. Sad as it may seem most of us will never fully transition for one reason or another. As long as we can find some love and happiness along the way I would consider just being able to share ourselves and experiences with each other a blessing I would not to be without. Love, Sammie

cute_cd_paige
08-04-2007, 10:08 PM
:DI enjoy getting dolled up and rideing around sometimes its a big release and just helps me to relax and feem more feminine

Rachell
08-04-2007, 10:35 PM
I am a stong two and done some threes, I really want to do the 4s Soon

Sheri 4242
08-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Thanks Sheri, I didn't realize you could change the poll setup...but I don't think I'll try to come up with more categories. For some reason this poll has really resonated, and maybe one of the reasons is it's inspired girls to think about where they are with their dressing...besides, whether there were four categories or forty, I'm sure there would still not be enough to capture the individual reasons why each of us is so drawn to this amazing, scary, wonderful thing that we love to do, Windy

I agree, Windy, there is no need to change a thing or to do a new poll -- I was just passing on my understanding of how polls can be made larger or smaller for future reference.

I have been highly impressed with the comments your poll has generated -- the comments have been extremely revealing -- much more than mere raw polling stats. Your poll has had the effect of making the respondents become creative in expressing where they believe they are on the spectrum -- and interestingly, many have felt quite free to place themselves outside of what was offered, giving answers like 2.75, 3.25, and 3.5. IMO, your poll has generated more thought and less "just check a box," which has, in turn, resulted in extremely interesting and relevant responses!!!

lmildcd
08-04-2007, 11:12 PM
I'm definitely in stage 1 except for the make up experimentation part. I would like to be in stage 2, but trying to survive on a part time job there is no money to buy more clothes.

L

tinadcd
08-05-2007, 12:03 AM
Have to agree Joy. Of the gurls I personally know that are stage 3/4, only a small percentage go out during the day or to regular venues. Most restrict their dressing to clubs and night time. Should have probably had a choice 3.5 - Dressing in public but mostly at TG venues and clubs not mainstream restaruants and stores in the daylight.

I am in the stage Sally describes. No interest in going out shopping, etc. dressed and no interest in passing.

Carol123
09-19-2007, 01:41 AM
Stage 1 here, with occasional make up...hoping to be a bride and full time wife, well i can dream cant i

Siobhan
09-19-2007, 03:50 AM
I suppose I am an occasional 4. I can only go out infrequently but when I am Siobhan I seem to be able to mingle easily.Shopping is fun -Having a door held open by a man is wonderful. I also enjoy being with another CD (if they are passable).
Siobhan

Stefanie_in_Mt
09-19-2007, 05:36 AM
Stage 1, been dressing all my life, but because of narrow minded people in this world, I can't jump to stage 4 Like I want to

Ann D Bluebird
09-19-2007, 06:36 AM
I voted 2, but "2b or not 2b that is the question" :D !!
Like lots of others I wanted to pick and choose from the stages.....and I also wonder if talking about "comfort levels" of cross-dressing, rather than "stages"
makes sense to people. The wig I have (cheap party/fancy dress type) is only comfortable for a while, for instance.
Sometimes, too, I am comfortable with stage/level one...sometimes all of two, a dash of three etc. But going out and interacting lots in shopping malls etc, well sometimes I am a bundle of nerves about that in male-mode, nevermind contemplating so doing en femme :o !:eek:! Give me a small group of close, supportive friends and maybe I could do the interacting thing en femme....

Anyhow, as ever, its always fun and interesting to read other people's views on this so thanks for the thread!! :happy:
Jude

Karren H
09-19-2007, 06:48 AM
I've hit #4 and that's where it ends......

audrey-lynn
09-19-2007, 07:19 AM
Well I voted a 4 but I"m more a 3.5 because I can't pass because of my voice. I do dress and go shopping and walk around the malls. However the only people I talk to are the S.A's in the stores.

Rachaelb64
09-19-2007, 07:53 AM
Stage 2.5, mostly at home but I ventutred out late night drives etc.... At the moment this were I'm happy at :happy:

Suzy Harrison
09-19-2007, 09:59 AM
I'm just taking my first baby steps into stage 4 now - and having a wonderful time too.

Melinda G
09-19-2007, 10:00 AM
Stage three for me, and I'll probably stay there. I can pass visuallly, but my voice would give me away instantly. But I have no desire for any contact with people, when I'm dressed. I do it for me. So I go window shopping, and for long walks, in safe neighborhoods, because it just feels good. I have been thinking about going to a Cders bar, or club, where the voice wouldn't be a problem.

valinheels
09-19-2007, 10:09 AM
I would also agree with a 3.5. I love to venture out but only if going clubbing or while traveling. I have gone out to dine and shop but very rarely and when travelling away from the home locale.

Valerie

amy lynn
09-19-2007, 10:19 AM
i'dd have to say im at stage 4. cause im always dressed and i interact with people in public

Veronica Fallon
09-19-2007, 10:31 AM
I'm new to going out, but have interacted with a convenience store clerk, so I guess I'm barely a 3.5 right now. But I'm currently plucking, filing, braiding, & polishing for next Saturday, so hopefully I'll qualify as a #4 by next week!!! :Party::yahoo:

On my way,

Veronica

KIRA ANN
09-19-2007, 10:39 AM
stage 1, but just starting at 1.5. :happy:

KIRA ANN
09-19-2007, 10:44 AM
stage 1, but working up to stage 1.5.

joselyn318
09-19-2007, 11:11 AM
Somewhat stage four. I willl go out shopping en femme somewhat passing, wearing makeup, women's polo's/shirts/blouses/jeans/sandals/jewelery, and forms. I have purged several times throwing out all of my lingerie, clothes, and makeup.

Annemarie
09-19-2007, 02:30 PM

I pretty much go where I want to or need to. If I find I need to buy something while out en femme I just stop at the nearest store. Went to the DMV last month and sat with strangers and kids for 45 minutes waiting to get my picture taken for a non-drivers id. Didn't get any "looks" from anyone, including the professionals behind the counter.

Yes, I'd agree with the above, having gone out once to a TV venue with 3 other gurls.I've also been out alone in the evening and once met an admirer at my home.The occasions are few and far apart, but I other than that seem to be stuck at stage 2 most of the time.

jennifer41356
09-19-2007, 04:01 PM
Stage 4, just got home from shopping today, I bought a skirt, a dress and a cute top:love:

Jennifer:D

feminineandproud
11-13-2007, 02:45 PM
Between a stge 1 and 2 although I have high fantasys of stge 3 and 4

Nicki B
11-13-2007, 03:14 PM
From personal experience and observation, I’ve found that there are four stages in the life of a crossdresser. Depending on where you are in the continuum, you probably fall into one of these categories, and if you have stopped progressing that’s where you’ll likely stay

I'd say there can be more divisions than this (the number of half marks people give themselves sorta indicates that, too :winking: )? Also that people can move both ways, as they enter or leave relationships? Two girls I have known didn't start their journeys until they were widowed, in their seventies?

The trouble is, too, it starts to feel like a competition - when really we all just have a journey, to go at our own speed, to our own destination? But we don't have to travel it alone.. :)

rachel dress
11-13-2007, 03:29 PM
i am a stage two but i like to be three rachel dress.

Sharon B.
11-13-2007, 03:35 PM
Stage 3 but would like to go farther.

AllieSF
11-13-2007, 04:16 PM
I think I am around a 3.5. I freely interact with others when out. My passing for now is made up of two parts, the physical appearance of not being read continually and the other is that internal feeling of "who the hell cares" if I am read, as long as they do not make a scene. I have been out a few times, enjoy it and will definitely go out more, which is so easy to do in the San Francisco area. I mostly go with others, but have had a couple of solo sojourns into that wild and wonderful world out there. Great poll Windy and I enjoy all the varied responses.

ellieparsons
11-13-2007, 05:27 PM
I have to say stage three, gone to the gas station dressed.

Nicole Erin
11-13-2007, 08:11 PM
Solid stage 3.
I don't tend to interact with people a lot as it is, en femme or not.
My voice would pretty much kill it.

Another problem I have - I feel like the whole world is noticing me, like someone would yell "Look, a man in a dress!" and here comes the 10 o'clock news. :o

If I would get off my lazy ass and practice my voice, I could go stage 4.

jennifer41356
11-13-2007, 09:07 PM
Stage 4.5, I spend all my free time as a lady and have been interacting with folks out in this big wonderful world:hugs:

renee k
11-13-2007, 09:37 PM
Shopping, dinner, movies, plays. Or just running errands. I do it all enfemme.
The beard is gone. Planning to have some work done on my face to get rid of wrinkles and more feminine looking. Probably not going to transition. Just want to push the envelope.

Huggs, Renee

Sarahwithanh11
11-14-2007, 04:12 AM
Definitely a three. Quite happy at that level, though I'd like to "three" more often!

Dawn Marie
11-18-2007, 01:21 PM
I use to be at stage 4 but now I'm a 2. Hopefully only till I get to see a therapist and work it out with my wife. I so want to be at stage 4 again. It was so much fun and I liked myself better.

Debbie new
11-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Very strong 2, want to be stage 3, but haven't found the nerve yet to go outside.

docrobbysherry
11-18-2007, 02:33 PM
I have no desire to be on any Stage. Because Sherry lives in the closet.
Maybe this forum and the internet are my Stage!
RS

www.myspace.com/robertsherry

Brenda1423
11-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Stage 2, but I do walk down to the mailbox when it's dusk. I always wear panties though. That's the only part my wife allows. She doesn't know about the rest. She made that clear a few years ago.

surabhi singh
11-18-2007, 03:24 PM
Iam currently at 4th stage and moving beyond that from now ...

the time is changing for new happenings .to take place ..

Kimmie
11-18-2007, 04:56 PM
level 2, But eager about going to stage 3. Just need to find the right place to be safe and not get noticed by anybody I know.

Ibuki_Warpetal
11-18-2007, 05:24 PM
I'd say I'm at a 3.3, mixing my guy/fem wardrobe when I go out.

LA CINDY LOVE
11-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Form what I get here is that 15% of Cd's take a walk on the wild side and the other 85% stay in the closet or take a drive in the car, There are more Cd's who DO NOT go out then those who DO GO out by a land slide.

We talk about this at the clubs why more Cd's do not go out, we can under stand those Cd's who live in a small town but those Cd's who live in a large city or close to a city have no excuse not to go out and that story we hear they do not go out because they can not pass is pure BS to us who go out.

To us who go out all Cd's are a 4.................you just have to go get it.

LA CINDY LOVE