PDA

View Full Version : And to think I stood up for her....

AmberDay
07-31-2007, 09:58 AM
:Angry3: I am a busdriver in Dayton, Ohio. I encounter many different types of people. It is interesting from a sociological standpoint to observe how people behave in all types of situations. I encounter all races and different sexualities. I stood up for a transgendered 'woman' and get bit in the butt for it....

I was driving my bus off of west third street last week when I stopped at a bus stop; there was a guy wanting the bus. I opened my door and he stepped up, scanned his pass, and told me not to go yet. I told him, "I can't wait for anybody, I am behind schedule as it is." At that moment an lady in a short white dress and matching heels started walking by the door, away from my bus.

"Thats a man!" { passenger
"Looks like a woman to me." { me
"No! Seriously! She has a dic$!"
"She has nice legs."
"I just told you that was a man!"
"Well then, he has nice legs."
"Doesn't that make you sick?"
"Why would it?"
"Man, you are screwed up!" He then walked back and sat down.
"I'm not the one that is screwed up." I whispered.

But, last night going down west third street, there was the trangendered lady at the same bus stop waiting for the bus. I stopped and she got on; but walked right by me and sat down. I waited for a minute to see if she was going to get her fare out of her purse, but she didn't move and just stared out the window. I always TRY to be professional. You be the judge....

"Ma'am, you going to pay your fare?"
No response.
"Ma'am, are you going to pay your fare? I need to get going here."
Still no response, she just stared at me. I put on my airbrakes to make a point that I am not going to move without a fare.
"I don't have my fare." Although she looked 100% believable, her voice still needed some work.
"Well, I am going to need a fare for you to ride my bus."
"I just told you, I don't have my fare, are you DEAF!" I was taken back for a moment,
"Okay, if you aren't going to pay your fare, you need to get off my bus."
"Just take me downtown."
"Please leave my bus."
No response.
"Ma'am if you don't get off my bus, I am going to have to call the police."
"Go ahead and call them as@hole." Fine by me.

I called my dispatcher and asked to have a police officer come out and remove a passenger. Dayton Police are not known for their speed responding to calls, so I was ready for a 15min delay. Anyway, that is off topic; She sat there with her legs crossed glaring at me. I pulled out my newspaper and started reading. She then got up and walked right to my face:

"You are a Fu#$@ing as@hole!"
"That's not the first nor will that be the last time I have been called that."
"Well you can suck my dic$!" as she grabbed herself down there, she spat on me, then stomped off my bus.

Eveyone on my bus for the rest of the trip downtown was making fun of crossdressers and transgendered people. In a world that is hard enough to find acceptance in, it is people like that that really set the rest of us back. I really can't believe that anyone would act that way, especially a transgendered person. Part of me is still glad I stood up for her being transgendered, but honestly, if I was to go back to the time with the male passenger, I would have just kept quiet instead of complimenting her.

Amber

SatinDoll00
07-31-2007, 10:05 AM
You don't have to be TG, Straight, Bi, Gay, White, Black, whatever to be an idiot. I have found they come in all shapes, sizes, and colors.

Morgan

jessbcuzz
07-31-2007, 10:10 AM
That must have been a rough. What baffles me is why she would act like that, and say that stuff when other people could hear her? What's next, bus marshals?

Kate Simmons
07-31-2007, 10:14 AM
I commend you for what you did Amber, even if the person you did it for had no class and didn't appreciate it. Some people were just born miserable I guess. Take care Hon.:hugs:

AmberTG
07-31-2007, 10:16 AM
Ya, I'd have to say that idiots come in all shapes and sizes. You'd think she'd not want to draw that much attention to herself, but....

Sheri 4242
07-31-2007, 10:33 AM
-I always TRY to be professional.

-Eveyone on my bus for the rest of the trip downtown was making fun of crossdressers and transgendered people. In a world that is hard enough to find acceptance in, it is people like that that really set the rest of us back.

Amber,

It is really a shame that there are people like that in the world -- and I don't just mean crossdressers, but anyone who displays such a nasty attitude -- and who seem to likewise display some sense of entitlement -- just b/c they are part of some sort of group or classification.

Obviously such people do more harm than good -- in fact a great deal of harm!!! For the life of me I can't understand such behavior!!!

One thing you said stood out as highly significant!!! You were professional!! In that realm, it doesn't matter whether or not you are a crossdresser -- what matters is that your demeanor and behavior showed that you have true strength of character!!!!!!!

Sheri

Emily Ann Brown
07-31-2007, 10:34 AM
Dittos on what Morgan said !!!!!!!!

Emily Ann

Holly
07-31-2007, 10:46 AM
Amber, don't let someone else's bad behavior have a negative impact on your good and appropriate behavior. You did the right thing and displayed class and composure... you were more of a lady than that passenger can ever hope to become.

JoanFlores
07-31-2007, 10:50 AM
You did the right think, she had no manners, and if in fact she did not have any money she could have explained as soon as she got on the bus.

Teresa Amina
07-31-2007, 10:55 AM
Must say "Free Ride" on your bus somewhere :D

Phyliss
07-31-2007, 11:39 AM
A phrase I heard a long time ago, comes to mind:

"No good deed goes unpunished"

Some people's children, harrumph.

kay2
07-31-2007, 11:46 AM
Good for you - you did the right thing both times. Unfortunately, she was mentally ill in a way that is difficult to perceive as illness. As for her being TG, well, we are all a mix. It is possible that her CDing is inextricably entangled with her difficulties - especially given the rude remark to you. Certainly I feel that my TG tendencies are an integral part of me, for better and for worse. It is possible that there is some correlation between CDing and certain types of emotional problems. I haven't the slightest idea. However, there is no reason to pass judgement on CDing itself, or on anyone because they happen to CD.

teresa jeen
07-31-2007, 01:53 PM
once a jerk always a jerk. no matter what gender.

Bonnie D
07-31-2007, 02:20 PM
Amber,

You handled the situation very well. I wouldn't go back on your comments to the guy earlier because the basis was correct. You stood up for her and TGs in general.

She definitely did a poor job on handling the situation. She assumed that you were like everyone else and were giving her a hard time because she was a TG. She probably had her fill of it by the time she got on the bus and took it out on you. If she didn't have any money for whatever reason she could have approached you and quietly tried to explain her situation. A long way from home and no money could be a daunting situation. If the rules could not be bent a little under the circumstances then I would ask the passengers if anyone could spare the fare for her. I would have paid for her. However, I would keep my mouth shut as soon as the situation became confrontational.

Everyone's reaction after she left the bus was not much better unless they were being specific about the rudeness and not the attire. What she was wearing doesn't have anything to do with her reaction.

Bonnie

Marla S
07-31-2007, 02:29 PM
once a jerk always a jerk. no matter what gender.
So true.

RobertaFermina
07-31-2007, 03:15 PM
Hope none of those fluids mixed, Honey. You might need rabies shots !

Your patience and fairness and respect is awesome.

Hope she gets help.

:rose: Roberta :rose:

Gisele
07-31-2007, 03:54 PM
"she spat on me"

That's good for an assault charge! TG or not no one has the right to do such a gross thing. I would have "her" arrested if it was me.

Charleen
07-31-2007, 03:56 PM
Definately something off kilter with that one! You handled yourself admirably!

Kaila
07-31-2007, 04:12 PM
That type of behavior is not acceptable no matter who you are. People come in all types and some of them are not nice no matter how they dress or act.

Kaila

sterling12
07-31-2007, 04:26 PM
You did right, she did wrong! No doubt she was angry and ashamed....if she didn't have the money for bus fare. But, that is no excuse for deplorable behavior.

You don't make the rules, you have to do your job. "It takes all kinds to make a World." Guess that's true in The Transgendered World also.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Shadeauxmarie
07-31-2007, 04:54 PM
That person would have gotten a .45 bullet between the eyes in the old days. The stagecoach drivers were good with their pieces. As I assume you are.

Sharon
07-31-2007, 05:42 PM
You did your job and, thus, probably did the right thing. But I can't but wonder if something happened to that person -- something awful that caused her to act in such a manner. Not that it is a bus driver's concern that a non-paying fare has problems -- maybe she had just been attacked and robbed, however -- but I can't help but wonder how she is and how she got into this predicament.

TxKimberly
07-31-2007, 05:48 PM
Tough call - You had a job to do and she was WAY in the wrong. Funny, most of us go out of our way to avoid attention and here she was TRYING to get arrested. Hmmm . . .

Stephenie S
07-31-2007, 08:09 PM
If I had been on this bus and overheard the exchange, I would have paid the poor soul's fare for her. Who knows what had happened to spark such outragious behavior.

My wife and I were visiting NYC and got on a bus once only to find out we had no exact change. I told the bus driver to let us off. He called out to the bus, asking for someone to pay our fare. Several people offered and I will remember that for the rest of my life.

Lovies,
Stephenie

angelfire
07-31-2007, 09:23 PM
What's next, bus marshals?

Funny you mention "bus marshals", because in my city, we have transit police who I believe are ranked as "constables". Same rights as a police officer, but only deal with the bus system.

But yea, some people are just flat out stupid. Obviously, she didn't pay the fare, and so she had no right to be there, and she should have just left instead of trying to get the cops there, when she would have just been removed anyway.

AlysonCD
07-31-2007, 09:31 PM
I'd be interested to know if you see her again, and what might happen

AmberDay
07-31-2007, 10:17 PM
"she spat on me"

That's good for an assault charge! TG or not no one has the right to do such a gross thing. I would have "her" arrested if it was me.

That may be considered an assault, but the police wouldn't even bother showing up. Last summer, Two guys attacked me on my layover, despite me pushing my panic button, the police did not show up for 25min! Thank god I had other passengers to assist me or else I would have been hurt more than I have. They had plenty of time to flee the scene and despite camera footage, they never were caught. We don't have transit police.

It is a hard job being a busdriver, and honestly if I didn't get paid so well, I wouldn't do it. I have had so many problems just dealing with the public. I know many state that she should have just explained her situation; that she didn't have her fare. That would have given her a better chance to ride. Problem is that I am constantly on video, and can't get caught giving free rides. I would have seen if somebody could pay her fare though. I don't care if you are white, black, hispanic, asian, indian, middle eastern, straight, bi, gay, transgendered. Be ready at the bus stop, pay your fare, and respect me, yourself, and other passengers. I found out at work today, she is actually banned from RTA service due to her conduct. Of course, now the tell me, lol.