PDA

View Full Version : Shortening your CDing name

Sheila
08-02-2007, 02:39 AM
having chosen your name how do you feel if people then shorten it M2F Victoria to Vic/ Vikky or for F2M James to Jim/Jimmy.

Lisa Golightly
08-02-2007, 02:58 AM
Absolutely fine with it... Most are pet names anyway :)

Hermione Simpson
08-02-2007, 03:05 AM
i'm use to people shortening my drab name as it's easy to do that, but before anyone does it to my femme name tell me how it sounds first 'hermy'

Kate Simmons
08-02-2007, 03:11 AM
When I used the name Victoria, most of my friends called me Tori , which I preferred over Vicky, etc. although some of my UK friends didn't care for it :heehee:. Now a lot just call me Sal for short.:happy:

Kieron Andrew
08-02-2007, 03:39 AM
i chose a name i THOUGHT people couldnt shorten, and i get called K. now just cos some cant be bothered to spell it right, and to honest it bugs cos i used to get call K with my female name! my name is Kieron not K, ok mini rant over

Sheri 4242
08-02-2007, 03:40 AM
having chosen your name how do you feel if people then shorten it M2F Victoria to Vic/ Vikky or for F2M James to Jim/Jimmy.

I guess many would have different feelings on this subject. I have a friend whose given name is "James." He likes to be called "Jimmy." He absolutely hates it when someone takes it upon themself to call him "Jim." (I was with him recently when he was looking at new cars. The salesman had him fill out a form to get a quote, and on this form he put his full birth name. The salesman then shortened it to "Jim" and started addressing him as such. Maybe with some this would seem trivial, but my friend didn't like it one bit -- said he never "felt like" a "Jim," but did feel like a "Jimmy." IMO, this salesman would have been better off caling my friend "Mr. Smith" instead of trying to sound like they were old buddies, during which process he iritated my friend who subsequently decided to go to anoter dealership.)

Regarding my femme name, it is "Sherilyn," which I shortened to "Sheri" for informal use. I don't think I would like it if somebody started calling me "Sher" all on their own. Better to err on the side of proper manners: when in doubt, ask! Ask a "Robert" if he prefers (or goes by) "Rob," "Bob," "Robbie," or "Bobby." Names can be important b/c they can define who we feel we are. Maybe a person who calls you by another version does so innocently, but it can make a person feel like how they define themself is being ignored.

sandra-leigh
08-02-2007, 04:45 AM

"Tess-Leigh" is kind of cumbersome in conversation, so I'm getting accustomed to "Tess". But then I never did feel like "Yes, yes, Tess-Leigh is my *real* name!" The "Tess" part came first, and I thought it wasn't long enough (or formal enough) so I decided to hyphenate something onto it.

It was at least a year before I remembered that "Tess" was a name that my sister had sometimes used.

Sally24
08-02-2007, 05:10 AM
My wife tries to shorten it to "Sal" sometimes. Reminds me of an old short jewish commedian or something. Should have probably forseen this when I was picking names.:mad:

KatieZ
08-02-2007, 05:55 AM
If someone calls me Kate I correct them immediately. "That's Katie" or "I prefer Katie thank you".

Emeralddragon
08-02-2007, 06:25 AM
Kieron it could be worse. I have a friend called Kron now cos another friend couldnt get the spelling of kieron right and couldnt pronounce it properly either.

And as for me..... I think its short enough as is and any shortening of it might only be one letters worth. adell becomes maybe addy or dell or something. Though if people called me dell Id smack them. I dont make terrible computers.

angelfire
08-02-2007, 07:19 AM
My given name is constantly shortened by people. For years I hated having it shortened, but eventually I got used to it and don't mind so much now. The femme name I chose (Jessica) I wouldn't mind if it was shortened to Jess, but I don't know if I like Jessy or not.

leggy_tiana
08-02-2007, 07:32 AM
My full name is Tatiana but over the years I shortened it to Tiana. Now most of my friends simply know me as Tiana. But I would never want Tiana to be shortened to Tia.

danielle40I
08-02-2007, 07:43 AM
Feel free to call me Dani. It's what my wonderful SO uses, and I prefer it.

:happy:

Holly
08-02-2007, 08:02 AM
Call me whatever you like, just don't call me late for supper. Hardly anyone shortens Holly and that's fine by me. For my male name, I only use the shortened version... don't care for the full length version. Even writing it seems so formal.

Kahlan51
08-02-2007, 08:04 AM
I notice that I don't care a bit for name shortening. I always try to call the person the name they say when I meet them. I think the whole thing is a reflection of how slack our culture is getting about courtesy and respect. But don't get me started on that. I spent a lot of time trying on names Kahlan speaks to me. If someone calls me something else I gently correct them.

Toyah
08-02-2007, 08:08 AM
Well I am not sure I would be happy with Toy !!!!!!! Most people just call me tart !!!!:D

Samantha B L
08-02-2007, 08:30 AM
I've thought about shortening mine down from "Samantha B L" to just plain "Samantha" but I needed more letters for my Fem name to work right electronically with the forum registration which kept rejecting just plain "Samantha" and wanted a longer spelled word. "B L" are my drab name middle and last initials.

kassandra richard
08-02-2007, 08:43 AM
I'm not sure I'd be cool with shortening Kassandra. Maybe making her a little narrower....

Oops. Thought you meant my body, not my name ;) Actually, I'd be cool with shortening it down to Kassie or even Kass, although both seem to be names for someone about half my age.

Kassandra

SarahLynn
08-02-2007, 09:09 AM
I'm not sure I'd be cool with shortening Kassandra. Maybe making her a little narrower....

Oops. Thought you meant my body, not my name ;) Actually, I'd be cool with shortening it down to Kassie or even Kass, although both seem to be names for someone about half my age.

Kassandra

Good morning Kassandra. Spelled a bit different it would be for someone more than thrice your age. I knew a lady with that name Cass who was a bit more than 58 the last time i saw her and that was 40 some years ago. Kass would be a natural shortening, i would think, and as loverly as any i've seen or heard. As i view it, we are whom we think of ourselves as being. Thus if defining our selves by our name then it surely is improper for others to change who we are simply by changing our name.

As i never liked my given "first" name, when i no longer had to use it, i quickly changed to the name i prefer. Of coarse were i given a choice i'd change my whole name to something different.

Here i am SarahLynn because that is who i think of myself as being but were anyone here or "out there" to shorten it to just Sarah or Lynn that would be fine with me. Just so they didn't call me late for my paycheck. :heehee:

SarahLynn

Pippilotta
08-02-2007, 09:16 AM
...a most deplorable American habit. I just abhor it.

carolinebrookes
08-02-2007, 09:19 AM
On occasions, some people, usually younger ones call me Caz instead of Caroline. I'm fine with it. It makes me sound young and trendy!

Angie G
08-02-2007, 09:50 AM
It hasn't happend yet but I Angie is short enough. :hugs:
Angie

Meredith
08-02-2007, 10:19 AM
I don't think I would like being called "Mare". "Dith" would be even worse.

CharleneCD
08-02-2007, 10:25 AM
It doesnt bother me a bit. If someone is comfortable enough to call me Char then that means they are comfortable with who I am.

Caroline Simmons
08-02-2007, 11:18 AM
Some peeps call me Caz for short, and thats cool :D

I think it was Vance who first started it

Emily Ann Brown
08-02-2007, 11:28 AM
My dearest friends have been calling me Em forever, and I think I love it because it shows their closeness and intimacy. A few even call me Sister Em, but that is a whole nother story.

Emily Ann

RobertaFermina
08-02-2007, 01:06 PM
It's all in HOW they say it dearie.
You can call me DustBunny if you do it with love and friendship !

:rose: Hopping through the Winds of Dustiny :rose:

SatinDoll00
08-02-2007, 02:10 PM
When I am online, people shorten Morgan down to Morg. Morg sounds too much like where dead people are kept. In truth, the name is Morgana...I shorten it to Morgan.

Morgan

Jennilouise
08-02-2007, 03:04 PM
i certanly not mind being called Jenni jen or even j. but some people don't like thier full first so shorten it

Ashley Lynn Swift
08-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Well I am not sure I would be happy with Toy !!!!!!! Most people just call me tart !!!!:D

now thats not nice of them, but i don't know that you could really shorten my femme name from taylor, i just don't think that "tay" or "lor" would really work, although i do shorten my given name all the time, sometimes even to Jo

Deborah Jane
08-02-2007, 03:38 PM
You can call me Debs if you like, i don,t mind:D

Robin Leigh
08-06-2007, 06:45 PM
I must admit that I'm not so happy when people shorten my femme name to Rob, but I suppose it's better than them calling me by my guy name. :)

This thread reminded me of this old Monty Python (http://orangecow.org/pythonet/sketches/cin&tv.htm) Skit.

Announcer: Good evening and welcome to another edition of It's the Arts. And we kick off this evening with Cinema.

Host: Good evening. One of the most prolific film directors of this age, or indeed of any age, is Sir Edward Ross, back in his native country for the first time for five years to open a season of his works at the National Film Theatre, and we are indeed fortunate to have him with us in this studio tonight.

Ross: Good evening.

Host: Edward... you don't mind if I call you Edward?

Ross: No, not at all.

Host: Because it does worry some people - I don't know why - but they are a little sensitive so I take the precaution of asking on these occasions.

Ross: No, that's fine.

Host: So Edward's all right. Splendid. I'm sorry to have brought it up.

Ross: No, no, please. Edward it is.

Host: Well thank you very much for being so helpful. And it's more than my job's worth to, er...

Ross: Yes, quite.

Host: Makes it rather difficult to establish a rapport - put the other person at his ease...

Ross: Quite.

Host: Silly little point but it does seem to matter. Still, er, least said the better. Ted, when you first started you... I hope you don't mind if I call you Ted, er, I mean as opposed to Edward?

Ross: No, no, everyone calls me Ted.

Host: Well of course it's shorter, isn't it.

Ross: Yes it is.

Host: And much less formal!

Ross: Yes, Ted, Edward or anything!

Host: Thank you. Um, incidentally, do call me Tom. I don't want you bothering with this 'Thomas' nonsense! Ha ha ha ha! Now where were we? Ah yes. Eddie Baby, when you first started in the...

Ross: I'm sorry, I'm sorry, but I don't like being called "Eddie Baby".

Host: What?

Ross: I don't like being called "Eddie Baby".

Host: (pause) Did I call you "Eddie Baby"?

Ross: Yes, you did! Now if you could get on with the interview...

Host: I don't think I did call you "Eddie Baby".

Ross: You did!

Host: Did I call him "Eddie Baby"?

(Audience murmurs of 'yes' etc.)

Host: I didn't really call you "Eddie Baby", did I, sweetie?

Ross: Don't call me "sweetie"!

Host: Can I call you "sugar plum"?

Ross: No.

Host: "Pussycat"?

Ross: No!

Host: "Angel drawers"?

Ross: No you may not! Get on with it!

Host: Can I call you "Frank"?

Ross: (suspiciously) Why "Frank"?

Host: It's a nice name. Richard Nixon's got a hedgehog called Frank.

Ross: What IS going on?

Host: Now Frank -- Fran -- Frannie -- little Frannie-pooh...

Ross: No. I'm leaving. I'm off. I'm going. I've never... (exits)

Host: (loudly) Tell us about your latest film, Sir Edward.

Ross: (nearly offstage) What?

Host: Tell us about your latest film, Sir Edward, if you'd be so very kind.

Ross: None of this "Pussycat" nonsense?

Host: Promise. (Pats seat next to him.) Please, Sir Edward.

Ross: My latest film?

Host: Yes, Sir Edward.

Ross: Well the idea, funnily enough, is based on an idea I had when I first joined the industry in 1919. Of course, in those days I was only the tea boy and...

Host: Oh shut up!

Robin

MsEva
08-06-2007, 07:01 PM
:eek: Wouldn't even know how to shorten it...I mean it is only 3 letters..EVA:heehee:

whitney
08-06-2007, 07:02 PM
I love people who call me 'Whit'. It's a term of endearment really, or so I think..

trannie T
08-06-2007, 08:24 PM
Although I prefer to be called "The Incredible Judith the Absoute Queen of All Things Femanine and the Most Attractive Creature in the Universe," I'm usually called "Judy" or "Hey You, Fat Guy!"

Di
08-07-2007, 08:04 AM
TART:tongueout

Jess I think it shows an closeness and intimacy from a loved one.