PDA

View Full Version : What d'ya make of this then?

Kieron Andrew
08-06-2007, 06:57 AM
Mods this is sort of FTM/gender variance related so id like it to stay here if at all possible
http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/families/article2151217.ece

All i can say is....Mothers! :rolleyes: lol

Cai
08-06-2007, 08:04 AM
Makes me wonder about that girl, really. I had a lot of tomboy friends growing up, and I was the only one who didn't mind/liked being mistaken for a boy.

Kieron Andrew
08-06-2007, 08:05 AM
Makes me wonder about that girl, really. I had a lot of tomboy friends growing up, and I was the only one who didn't mind/liked being mistaken for a boy.
exactly what i was thinking myself, especially the part where she almost pleaded with her mother not to blow her cover...definitely an interesting article to say the least

Slip Affinity
08-06-2007, 08:12 AM
Isn't it strange though, that society looks upon girls acting like boys in a kinder light than when it's vice versa?

bi_weird
08-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Interesting article. All in all, a pretty understanding and open minded mother...but still dead set against her daughter maybe being trans. It's funny, because I really doubt that that girl will ever really feel like her female peers. Maybe she's not ts, but she'll end up like me, lost in the middle, or something like that. But her mother will probably never admit that she's really different.

John
08-06-2007, 10:42 AM
I find it interesting that in the studies they listed they didn't find one that compaired tomboyism (?) to trangenderism. After all, that's practically what it is (dresing specifically in cloths of the other gender, ect)

Dasein9
08-06-2007, 01:00 PM
I thought it was an interesting article, as far as it went. It shows a lot of the limitations that plague the common conception of the gender non-conforming, however. For instance, the concentration on the social advantages of being male seemed like an attempt at rationalisation.

I'm going to send it to my mom, though. She may find it interesting.

Tristan
08-06-2007, 01:02 PM
I thought that the tomboy was maybe trans especially having a male name and etc and being so hurt at being id'ed as a girl and perhaps the mom is saying she's just a tomboy but is ok being a girl really it's just etc etc. Dunno like a justification.

Adam
08-06-2007, 01:09 PM
i feel for her i did that i had freinds that thought i was a boy and same for me my mum would blow my cover :sad: i really feel sorry for her honest i do

Ryan
08-06-2007, 01:56 PM
I do feel kinda sorry in a way, but I can understand the mother not wanting another boy alone with Alex...you know what I mean?

The parents seem quite understanding and buy her boys clothing, toys etc, and even call her Alex!! :) I dont know of many parents that would do that! Also they seem to have at least tried to make contact with another family who's child is similar in their ways to Alex, which is all good :) They are trying, and they will come to accept Alex for whatever he/she will be in the furture, I am pretty sure :)

RevMoonSerpent
08-06-2007, 02:53 PM
That's a great article Kieron. Thanks for sharing. Gives you a lot to think about but.

SirTrey
08-06-2007, 04:49 PM
Hi Kieron,
Interesting article....I see that you're from Bristol...I'm an American and I was just in Bristol a few weeks ago....Very nice city, I enjoyed it....**Tracy**

ZenFrost
08-06-2007, 05:15 PM
The link master does it again! That was a very interesting read Kieron, reminds me a lot of my own childhood.

boi_0h
08-06-2007, 10:07 PM
That kid's parents are wicked accepting/accomodating. I've never heard of a mother allowing her daughter to shop in the boys dept. I didn't know tomboy-ism was such a hot topic, for people to be doing such intense research on that seems like a huge effort, and seeing the intimations they're making maybe someday it'll be a good thing to be a tomboy.
I do wonder about it though, they mention homosexuality and tomboys being more masculine in their career paths etc but they don't mention FTM CD or TS, I wonder if there is a correlation to be had there.

brylram
08-06-2007, 10:38 PM
I've never heard of a mother allowing her daughter to shop in the boys dept.

You've obviously never met my mother. :p

but they don't mention FTM CD or TS, I wonder if there is a correlation to be had there

Because it's written by a mother, I think it's either a case of not even realizing that is an option... or refusing to believe/acknowledge she might not have a 'wonderfully free-willed' daughter, but a son instead.

boi_0h
08-06-2007, 11:28 PM
You've obviously never met my mother. :p

:hmph: no, but I think I'd be willing to adopt her.

Taylor105
08-12-2007, 08:52 PM
That kid's parents are wicked accepting/accomodating. I've never heard of a mother allowing her daughter to shop in the boys dept. I didn't know tomboy-ism was such a hot topic, for people to be doing such intense research on that seems like a huge effort, and seeing the intimations they're making maybe someday it'll be a good thing to be a tomboy.
I do wonder about it though, they mention homosexuality and tomboys being more masculine in their career paths etc but they don't mention FTM CD or TS, I wonder if there is a correlation to be had there.

I ditto....my mom rocks too!!

BarbaraTalbot
08-13-2007, 06:27 PM
When doing some last minute shopping for out 10 year old tomboy. (I say tomboy because she doesn't yet seem to have any ideations of gender issues).

Today was the first day of school and what did she pick? the military looking olive cargo pants purchased in the boys department and an oversized boy cut polo shirt. She had lots of other choices but the ones we purchased last in the boys department is what she selected. Interesting.

Update:10/14 We went back to Mart du Wal last night and she approved of some lil dude denim with cargo pockets. Of her own volition she grabbed a boys soccer uniform off the rack and asked if she could get it. See, she will NOT wear shorts for any reason. She said, yes, but I like soccer. They have similar sets in the girls side in softer colors. Not interested. The thing that is striking is how naturally feminine she is in appearance according to societal stereotypes. She looks a lot like the young me when I was a bit feminine and petite. Yet she doesn't feel comfortable at all with girly stuff.

Felix
08-14-2007, 11:41 AM
A really great article. Had to agree with a lot of what was said. I think there is much call for fluidity and less rigidity when it comes to gender!! xx Felix :hugs:

Stacy GG
08-14-2007, 02:56 PM
Definatley an intresting article. I think some parents are more pushy about gender conformity than others. Though the mother in this article seemed very accepting.
I know my parents went out of there way when my brother & I were little to have both "female" & "male" toys available for both of us. I remember spending about as much time playing dolls as playing with leggos or GI Joes. So I think some of it is a matter of perspective on what toys and clothes are acceptable to the parents.

In a way, the conundrum cuts to the heart of the problem, which is that we’re shoe-horning our children too tightly into pre-ordained sex roles, and not giving them much scope for expressing variety or difference. Miranda can either be a girlie girl in a long, white dress, or she can be a hardcore tomboy in her trousers and white shirt: the epitome of femininity or the epitome of masculinity. What she can’t choose to be, on her first communion day as on every other, is what she really is: an eight-year-old who is still working out exactly who she is in the world, and who doesn’t understand why she has to see it in black and white when, to her, it still seems very much to be in shades of grey.

I'd have to agree the gender spectrum has always been shades of grey for me, luckily I never had to do communion ( not religious) so didn't have to choose to wear a dress or not. I guess my point is why does it always have to be so RIGID?