PDA

View Full Version : What do YOU do with your eyebrows when dressing?

Dita_B
08-06-2007, 02:01 PM
In my steps on the way towards an acceptable level of dressing, I have paid attention to a lot of details, but I am stuck with my eyebrows.

Right now, since I have an un-accepting SO, I have been very careful with plucking my eyebrows because I don't want her to notice that I am doing it. Since I have bushy eyebrows I have carefully shaved them down to as short as possible (clippers on a comb), and I have done a little plucking to at least start with creating an arch.

When I do my make-up, I include my eyebrows in the foundation cover and I also cover them with liquid makeup so they'll end up kind of blending in my face color. My wigs have bangs on purpose to hide my eyebrows, or that what is left of them. But after closely observing you girls pictures, I notice that having both forehead and eyebrows exposed, greatly adds to creating a more realistic female and sexy image. So now I want to take my next step into dealing with my eyebrows without being too drastic all at once.

My question to all of you is: "How do you handle your eyebrows when dressing?" I would really appreciate your input, so I could learn from it.

Toni Shelton
08-06-2007, 02:09 PM
I have been shaping mine for about a year. I love the neat look. No one has said anything.

Lissa Stevens
08-06-2007, 02:10 PM
I have had the same problem. Over the last couple of years I have slowly thinned mine down so they aren't quite so bushy. If you do it slowly enough no one will notice like if you pluck them down in one sitting. Mine are not thin like a GG's but they also don't look like a gorilla's.

Sheri 4242
08-06-2007, 02:24 PM
I have been shaping mine . . . No one has said anything.

Ditto!

Here's an idea: go to a new hairdresser and get them to thin them -- shape them, etc. It is normal for many barbers to do this. Then, when you go home, say nothing about it! "If" (and when) it gets brought up, hey, must have been that new hairdresser (or barber) -- you hadn't noticed -- but now that you are noticing, you like it better than the caveman look you were getting more of with age! (The new hair place I have been using, offers a "brow arch" which is shaping and trimming. It is becoming popular.)

Michelle04240
08-06-2007, 02:33 PM
I have slowly thinned mine a bit. A cut here, a pluck there. Still not happy with the way they look when I dress. I have heard of putting wax over them, covering the wax with make-up, and drawing new ones. I just can't imagine how it is you would get the wax off though....

Bridget Fitzgerald
08-06-2007, 02:37 PM
Pretend they arent there:happy:

kassandra richard
08-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Pluck mine regularly. My wife has made a few comments about it, mostly after I hadn't cleaned them up for a while, but no one else has.

Ranae
08-06-2007, 03:05 PM
I used my "Pan Stick" over the brows first, Then I put foundation paste over them, Then when I blend in the liquid foundation over them they are far less noticeable.

Then when I do my eyes I use the eyeliner pencil to line my eye brows.

Be sure to use a much darker color than your brows so the eyeliner will stand out past the natural brows.

I prefer very dark brown or jet black.

Oh.... Don't try liquid eyeliner only pencil, Liquid will make a mess.

RC

bgirl
08-06-2007, 03:12 PM
The new style is fuller eyebrows! Just in time. Most of mine have no color at all and are so fine that don't show much. I trim the offending one and live with the rest. Two things I envy most are smooth and flawless legs, and perfectly done eyes. I don't have either. Just dreams

JoAnnDallas
08-06-2007, 04:28 PM
I get mine waxed and plucked once a month at my nail salon. Then I use a eyebrow pencil to cover the white hairs that show thru. Next time I go in, I am going to have my nail tech make them a little more thinner. Wife says they look better now that I get them waxed. If my wife sees a stray hair, she grabs the twesers and plucks it out. LOL

Ruth
08-06-2007, 04:51 PM
Mine were bushy and I didn't really know what to do about it, till a couple of years back when I started with a new hairdresser and she just said "Let's trim those brows shall we". I felt kind of liberated by the idea that it was OK for men to trim their eyebrows and I carried on with a gradual program of trimming and plucking. If my wife notices she hasn't mentioned it (and she knows I CD).
I think the secret is to do nothing drastic or sudden. People just do not pay that much attention.

SandyR
08-06-2007, 06:00 PM
Its the only place on me entire body (except for the now near Quarter size bald spot on my head) with min hair. I slowly plucked for a few weeks, and so far so good. No one has said a word, in-fact my wife likes the clean look.

SandyR

Tamera
08-06-2007, 06:03 PM
I got a battery powered groomer at Walgreens. It has like 3 attachments to it. I can do ears, nose and eyebrows with it. It also comes in handy for trimming lower areas if I want to tape. Probably a little TO MUCH INFO HUH.
Hugs,
Tamera

Mary Morgan
08-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Over an extended period of time ( a year or so), I have almost eliminated my eyebrows. First by trimming the length, second by plucking, slowly plucking, then by dyeing my hair and eyebrows a very light blonde. If anyone has an issue with it, they haven't said anything. My wife hasn't complained, so all is well.

Sally2005
08-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Trim, pluck, thin etc. So they look good on you either guy or girl then wet them with spirit gum and using your fingers pinch them together to make them appear thin.

TxKimberly
08-06-2007, 06:29 PM
I use the weedeater - does a great job but hurts a little . . . can some one call 911?

SandyR
08-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Kim,

After a day like today, that made me laugh! You rock!

Thanks.

Sandy

angelfire
08-06-2007, 06:57 PM
I'm lucky in that my eyebrows aren't bushy. Actually, as a kid I got made fun of a few times because my eyebrows aren't bushy, they thought I had shaved them off or something and they were still growing back. They aren't arched or anything, just the hairs are kind of sparse on that area.

MsEva
08-06-2007, 06:59 PM
In my steps on the way towards an acceptable level of dressing, I have paid attention to a lot of details, but I am stuck with my eyebrows.

Right now, since I have an un-accepting SO, I have been very careful with plucking my eyebrows because I don't want her to notice that I am doing it. Since I have bushy eyebrows I have carefully shaved them down to as short as possible (clippers on a comb), and I have done a little plucking to at least start with creating an arch.

When I do my make-up, I include my eyebrows in the foundation cover and I also cover them with liquid makeup so they'll end up kind of blending in my face color. My wigs have bangs on purpose to hide my eyebrows, or that what is left of them. But after closely observing you girls pictures, I notice that having both forehead and eyebrows exposed, greatly adds to creating a more realistic female and sexy image. So now I want to take my next step into dealing with my eyebrows without being too drastic all at once.

My question to all of you is: "How do you handle your eyebrows when dressing?" I would really appreciate your input, so I could learn from it.

That is what I do. Apply foundation to whole face and cover the brows. I do pluck the really stray ones though. And the weirdest thing. The last two times I got my hair cut at the local strip mall, the girl without even asking took a comb and clippers to trim them. Now I never thought they were that bad, but maybe she thought they were:heehee:

Alice B
08-06-2007, 07:03 PM
I have thinned and shaped mine over a couple of yersa, so no one notices or says a thing. I often apply eyeliner to them at night, so they have a darker apperance. Their natural color is bleached out blond. I pluck them weekly and am happy with the look. Thus I do not need to cover them with foundation. When I do that they sweat and allow any color to run off.:happy:

Sally24
08-06-2007, 07:12 PM
The most important words "pluck them a little at a time". Nothing will get you comments faster than changing something alot overnight. I've been thinning mine down now for over 2 years. I'm almost to the point of just maintaining them but still have a few hairs to go! Just start with a little light weeding. Then over time start to shape them to more of a point. Eventually you can start working on the arch. It helps if you wear glasses in boy mode. The frames usually cover most of my eyebrows and people look at the glasses and not the brows. Clark Kent had it right, putting on the glasses hides the superhero behind them!

Good Luck!

PS - Here's where I've started and how far I've thinned so far. I also tape so that lifts them and makes them look MUCH better.

RuthieER
08-06-2007, 07:21 PM
I trim them very close. Fortuneatly, they aren't very dark, and I pencil them in more evenly than they really are, and that works pretty well.

Ruthie

Colleentg
08-06-2007, 07:24 PM
I also use one of those mini clippers for shaping and for thinning out my brows. Out of all the hair on my body, those brow hairs seem to be the thickest and sturdiest!

When I'm doing makeup, I have to slightly color them in, cuz they're actually very blonde. One salon girl (gg) recommended it and I've been doing it since. Its not a dark color, but makes them look natural and feminine. I use a brow pencil on them, very delicately.

_Cecilie_
08-06-2007, 07:24 PM
I get very bushy and platinum blonde eyebrows during summer. I always get comments on them standing out. I think more because they are so blonde. So I just pluck them and cut the length a little. No worries! It serves me as a boy as well as en femme. Maybe an arch becomes more of an issue as a boy.

Melinda G
08-06-2007, 07:36 PM
I've always kept my eyebrows thinned out somewhat. My girlfriend once asked me if I plucked my eyebrows. I just said, "Sure. Andy Rooney eyebrows make a guy look old". She never mentioned it again.

wannabie
08-06-2007, 07:52 PM
This thread had the same question about the eyebrow problem. it really works.

http://crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51800

myhubbycrosdressesGG
08-06-2007, 08:15 PM
I think the hardest in the CDer's world. in a small town like ours, hubby has to be more careful i think.. especially he since he is still hideing the CD thing from me.. i notice every so often that they look neater and even tho he wont admit how they appear so neat, i know that he goes and gets them waxed.. peronally, they DO LOOK BETTER BUT, i worry that he maked a drastic change that others may notice.. but so far only me and one other person have noticed so far. but i always worry that my LDS father will notice .. but so far so good i guess .
people here just wont accepts anyone that is different. the more people notice his make-up and other things the less friends or aquaintences we have..
i love hime for who he is tho!
Becca

paulaN
08-06-2007, 08:28 PM
My brows are sparse and they are not fem shaped. I keep the bridge plucked, no unibrow. I have to add makeup to kinda cover them then I pencil them in to give them the shape I want/need. the hardest thing for me is to draw in the same shape and thickness on both sides. I never seem to get a real good match. I am thinking of making a template to help in that matter.

suchacutie
08-06-2007, 09:30 PM
My eyebrows were almost nonexistant until about 10 years ago when suddenly my barber wanted to trim them! I wondered what he could have possibly wanted to trim so I finally paid attention to them and found more hair starting to grow. Since they were changing anyway the timing was perfect to slowly start changing them to the shape I wanted, so I've slowly been moving them around and thinning them. Now I have most where I want them and am letting then fill in. Tina likes to be blonde, so the lt. brown brows and lashes fit well with a dark blond pencil and a lt. brown liquid to set the hairs. I then use a brown eyelash mascara to complete the color coordination.

tina

krisla
08-06-2007, 09:44 PM
I use combination of techniques like the others, with the exception of Kim's weedeater. I also just learned to tape them up to get a better shape but this only works with bangs to hide the tape.

ElaineB
08-06-2007, 10:21 PM
I don't worry about it. Ok maybe that's just because I don't go out (yet?) but really lots of beautiful GGs have bushy eyebrows:

Cindy Crawford (http://www.voodoo.cz/cc/faces/CCFC014.JPG)

Claudia Christian (http://www.isnnews.net/zocalo/images/claudia2.jpg)

Elizabeth Taylor (http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/54/039_9228~Elizabeth-Taylor-Posters.jpg)

Brooke Shields (http://brookeshields.co.uk/photos/family_brooke.jpg)

and even ...

Marilyn Monroe (http://www.fashion.org.au/userimages/user1270_1164633208a.jpg)

Shaping them seems to be enough. They don't need to be thin even if half the women out there do it nowadays!

Stephenie S
08-06-2007, 11:36 PM
Girls, girls, girls. We pluck a chicken. We TWEEZE our eyebrows. LOL

Stephie

Beth785
08-07-2007, 01:46 AM
I'm probably more in the bushy caveman unibrow catagory. I'm a little nervous about plucking them or shaping themas I might go to far and end up with none at all. I think it is one of my biggest problems, as they are very un-fem. I just need to be a little more brave and give it a try, not going too far all at once. I think I'd pass better if I did.

Dita_B
08-07-2007, 07:02 AM
Thank you all so much for sharing your methods to keep your eyebrows in check...

I am going to pluck...eh...tweeze my eyebrows slowly but surely, every few days a little bit over the next few months, as most of you have suggested. If you have been able to apply this method successfully while avoiding detection from your SO, than I should be able to do that too.

Although I found the Elmer's glue method very interesting as well and I thank Wannabie in particular for making me aware of the thread that dealt with this issue before I joined the forum.

I am going to give the glue-and-paint-over method a try simultaneously since it is very inexpensive and it may be a good interim way to deal with my brows while underway tweezing them into a more feminine appearance.

You girls have been an inspiration for me, especially the ones with well maintained eyebrows, because in my opinion you have added a very sexy extra dimension to your female image.

Thanks again girls...

:love:Dita.

Mz Stiletto
08-07-2007, 09:21 PM
for your edification, here's my spin (http://thelipstickdiary.blogspot.com/2005/10/brow-tips.html) on this topic.

Angela23
08-07-2007, 09:32 PM
My ex-wife is the only one that notices. I shave off the undersides of my brows. I just keep them really trim, sometimes pushing the envelope a little:eek:. I let the brow pencil and brush do the rest.

Tasha T
08-08-2007, 01:05 AM
I have really thick eyebrows so I've struggled with what to do with them for years. I've tried blocking them out with eyebrow plastic, but wasn't too thrilled with the results. Currently I am just plucking and trimming them so they look well groomed as a guy and moderately feminine while in fem. At times I've gone overboard and plucked too much. People definitely noticed!

JoAnnDallas
08-08-2007, 09:13 AM
I get mine waxed and plucked once a month. My wife really likes them now. She also will look at them from time to time and if any hair is out of place, she plucks it. she told me the other day, that she is pleased that I have been trying to take better care of my face. I now use winkle remover, mortizer, and eyebrow waxed.

ginaduzmakeup
08-12-2007, 06:18 PM
This is a HUGE issue for me when doing my makeovers. Unfortunately, the procedure for REAL blocking is very complicated and frustrating. I can give you some simple advice, though.

First...it is a good idea to cover them with foundation first. Then follow with powder. DO NOT SHAVE YOUR EYEBROWS! The hairs come back in FLAT on the end, which makes the stubble way more noticable. PLUCKING IS THE ONLY WAY to assure a tiny, slow regrowth which makes concealment much easier in the future.

Now, I know it's impossible to pluck the way you want to, because you have to live in the world and can't draw attention to them. If you must keep your brows intact, then do this:

1) Clip the actual hairs to make them shorter.
2) Cover them with a very thin layer of "Mortician's Wax" aka "Ben Nye Nose and Scar Wax" available at most beauty supply places, or online. Scrape a TINY bit out of the tub with a tool, such as a butter knife or similar. SCRAPE it onto and over the hairs of the brow, VERY VERY flat. You're scraping the wax into the hairs to make them lie flat. A little hairgel will help LUBE the wax so it won't stick on the knife. Seal it with MATTE PLASTIC SEALOR (also avail at most beauty places), in other words, just dab some on over the wax. Let dry.
3) NOW you can cover it with foundation...or if the hairs are really dark...put a little concealor on first, then powder, then foundation. ALWAYS FOLLOW WITH POWDER.
4) I always brush some light eyeshadow on right over the covered brow, and then create a 'false brow' over it. NOT on top of the covered brow, but ABOVE IT! Do this with a angled brush and dark eyeshadow...NOT a pencil.
5) Then you can do the rest of your makeup, being careful of course, of touching the brow area.

There's a lot more to it, but this should get you started. This takes a lot of practice! It's hard to "tell" you how to do it, and much easier to "show" you.

Let me know how it works out!
Love,
Gina

Dita_B
08-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Hello Gina...

Thank you so much for your immediate and priceless advise. I have been struggling with my eyebrows for ever. I can't really go crazy on them tweezing, because I want to keep my work on them away from immediate detection. So your advise about covering them is right in my alley.

I tried the Elmers glue thing, but the result was not to write a postcard home about. Perhaps I didn't put enough glue on them, but it looked ugly in the end. Previously I always covered them with concealer, foundation and powder, and that made them kind of blend in my face, but that resulted in no eyebrows at all. And I think that eyebrows can help make me look more feminine.

So tomorrow I am going to hunt for the items you advised and I am going to try it out on Tuesday, my next Mall day...

I'll let you know how it worked out...perhaps a picture so you can judge and advise on the work done so far.

Thank you so much hon, you are a sweetheart.

:love:Dita.

kymmieLorain
08-13-2007, 12:16 AM
I only pluck the "wild long hairs" that I have been getting lately.

Kymmie

ArleneRaquel
08-13-2007, 12:21 AM
Plucking is what this " Old Bag " does, every day or so it seems. Katrina Maureen Welch - Oldie, but Goodie :love: & :hugs:

suesvenson
08-13-2007, 12:25 AM
Hi there I would think it would hurt takeing the wax off, I don't think I would do that I get my Barber to do mine ' Hi I"am new here so its quite new for me here yours suesvenson

Fab Karen
08-13-2007, 03:35 AM
I use the weedeater - does a great job but hurts a little . . . can some one call 911?
It's also great as an exfoliator.:devil:
( this makes me think: what if Tim from "Home Improvement" became a CD, a whole new show )

Angie G
08-13-2007, 04:37 AM
I do nothing with them :hugs:
Angie

MsJanessa
08-13-2007, 03:19 PM
I have Mine waxed by My hairdresser and then I make sure they are trimmed every day.

MsJanessa
08-14-2007, 06:55 AM
This is a HUGE issue for me when doing my makeovers. Unfortunately, the procedure for REAL blocking is very complicated and frustrating. I can give you some simple advice, though.

First...it is a good idea to cover them with foundation first. Then follow with powder. DO NOT SHAVE YOUR EYEBROWS! The hairs come back in FLAT on the end, which makes the stubble way more noticable. PLUCKING IS THE ONLY WAY to assure a tiny, slow regrowth which makes concealment much easier in the future.

Now, I know it's impossible to pluck the way you want to, because you have to live in the world and can't draw attention to them. If you must keep your brows intact, then do this:

1) Clip the actual hairs to make them shorter.
2) Cover them with a very thin layer of "Mortician's Wax" aka "Ben Nye Nose and Scar Wax" available at most beauty supply places, or online. Scrape a TINY bit out of the tub with a tool, such as a butter knife or similar. SCRAPE it onto and over the hairs of the brow, VERY VERY flat. You're scraping the wax into the hairs to make them lie flat. A little hairgel will help LUBE the wax so it won't stick on the knife. Seal it with MATTE PLASTIC SEALOR (also avail at most beauty places), in other words, just dab some on over the wax. Let dry.
3) NOW you can cover it with foundation...or if the hairs are really dark...put a little concealor on first, then powder, then foundation. ALWAYS FOLLOW WITH POWDER.
4) I always brush some light eyeshadow on right over the covered brow, and then create a 'false brow' over it. NOT on top of the covered brow, but ABOVE IT! Do this with a angled brush and dark eyeshadow...NOT a pencil.
5) Then you can do the rest of your makeup, being careful of course, of touching the brow area.

There's a lot more to it, but this should get you started. This takes a lot of practice! It's hard to "tell" you how to do it, and much easier to "show" you.

Let me know how it works out!
Love,
Gina
Hi Gina--I find the hard part is creating the false brow---I've heard some use stencils, others just draw it in with what?? eyebrow or eye liner pencil--any tips on actually drawing in the brow?? Mine are waxed and are fine for every day or evening wear but for those special occassions when I'm trying for a real Glaminatrix look I would like to do the above.

Suzy Harrison
08-14-2007, 09:17 AM
I pluck mine as much as I dare, keep them trimmed to make sure they don't grow too long and what's left I cover them with 'brow wax". This blocks them out completly. I then put on my foundation and cover the concealed brow - and then just pencil them in. I'm old fashioned, I love thin, high arced brows.

Val702
08-24-2007, 07:08 AM
As a a man, I am known for these devilish eyebrows! I can't pluck them! what to do!

nikki_t
08-24-2007, 10:06 AM
I've heard some use spirit gum (available from most costume stores) to make the existing brow hairs lay totally flat against the skin before applying the Ben Nye wax over them. If you do this though, make sure you have the spirit gum remover too for when they need to come off.

Luckily I have small brows so it's not been a big deal for me yet.

Veronica Fallon
08-24-2007, 10:25 AM
I guess I'm lucky even though I had very bushy eyebrows (some individual hairs could get to be two inches long if I let 'em grow!!). I'm lucky in that people always teased me about them & suggested I mow them. So if anyone says anything now I just say that I'm finally taking the advice I've heard for so long. If they wonder about the feminine arch I just hope they think I'm not very good with the mower yet! :heehee:

Now if I could only think of a way to explain shaved legs & long nails...:thinking:

Hugz,

Veronica

Darlene-VA
08-24-2007, 10:26 AM
Over time I just tweezed them a few hairs at a time to thin them out and just keep them in this state now, lucky for my eyebrows are mostly blonde or light brown

Jillm
08-25-2007, 05:17 AM
I have blond hair so I keep mine trimmed and bleached all the time, then when in fem I use a brow pencil to darken them and give them the shape I want. I have a brow pencil that matches the color of my wig.

darley dee
08-25-2007, 07:29 AM
I mow them down with a beard & mustache trimmer, ( gets rid of the wild Andy Rooneys ) and over time have plucked some slight shape to them. Most importantly though I use clear medical tape and put a srip about 3 inches above the middle of each eyebrow and pull it tight back toward the scalp, it creates a beautiful arch, and the wig cover up the tape. it works on me because I have a severe case of protruding forehead. On other trick i use to do was to take a knee high and place it over my head down to the brow line, and as you pull it back off the forehead some it will also create an arch.

ginaduzmakeup
08-27-2007, 12:24 PM
Nope. Tanking the wax off does not hurt. You rub it off with an oily remover...slides right off and doesn't take off any hairs. Try it!

ginaduzmakeup
08-27-2007, 12:32 PM
Tips on creating a "false brow"...
It's all in the brush!! Get a special brow brush. They are small, FLAT and ANGLED like a paintbrush. Think: GUMBY!

I cheat. I draw a line with a very pale eyesahadow first, just to get the line even and matching on both brows. THEN I go over them both with a darker shade of brown. Don't use grey or black. They turn blue after a short while and make you look hideous.

And yes, you can get stencils. They will yield a perfect brow every time. They are cheap, and easy. But they are not always in a shape you'd like. They do come in sets for different styles. And Walgreen's just started selling them. They work fine.

Remember: use dark eyeshadow instead of a pencil for a natural look, and a pencil if you want DRAMA!! On my own brows, I use eyeshadow, and then a pencil over it in small, feather-like strokes. You have got to sharpen that pencil sharp as a tack for this to look good!!

ginaduzmakeup
08-27-2007, 12:36 PM
Karen, you're so silly!
Wouldn't it be great if Tim and Al did a beauty show?? Maybe I could be the lovely assistant. Friggin hillarious!!
G

Angie G
08-27-2007, 01:26 PM
I've just started thinking of them I only use make-up once a week :hugs:
Angie

CheriTV2006
08-27-2007, 08:57 PM
I used to pluck them, good effect. Then, I saw some dude shave-shape them on the old classic Wigfest video (quicker, easier)- lousy effect (stubble, and had to use foundation for cover). So now I'm going back to plucking. Cheri.

Glenda58
08-27-2007, 09:59 PM
Hon when I had a SO I would tell her I was going to get a hair cut while there I asked them to trim my eye brows and shape them. Then I would come home and she would say they did it again and I say what? And she trim your eye brows thin. I say nothing I can do about now. Then I would keep that way for weeks.

Ibuki_Warpetal
08-27-2007, 10:12 PM
I just draw a brown line where I would like my brows to be. Right now there is way too much effort in plucking them cuz they are soooo bushy and grow back in a few days. I trim them with electric shears whenever I'm in the mood.

soccervixen
08-27-2007, 10:32 PM
Not much yet, but I have been plucking the middle to avoid the "unibrow" look!