PDA

View Full Version : Homecare Scholarship

MarieTS
03-17-2005, 02:31 AM
Girls, in chatting with TS's planning on, or preparing to undergo SRS, one common concern emerges over and over. Although these true heroes had made many sacrifices to arrange for their transition one problem continued to loom for many: Home care following their operations. Wouldn't it be nice if we could start a network to help these women during such a time of need? A time when their families may have shunned them and their circle of friends is limited? Imagine if you will, how wonderful it would be after you return home from the hospital to have someone there to care for you for 2-3 weeks. Granted, few of us could afford to take off for weeks at a time to do this, but "many hands makes for little work." For example, several girls could spend just a couple of days each over a period of 1-3 weeks to provide that much needed care.
Now, I know there are a lot of details regarding care requirments, funding, screening, etc. that would need to be worked out. But what I'm suggesting is that this site would be a great platform to discuss and plan for such an initiative. Does my idea have any merit, or am I totally "out to lunch?"

Sharon
03-17-2005, 08:39 AM
Your idea is a fine one, but I don't think this forum is necessarily the best way to initiate something like this. We are simply too widely spread geographically, and while some of us live relatively close to one another, too many of us are reluctant to disclose our exact locations for assorted reasons.
Homecare help is offered through local TS groups, including many Tri-Ess chapters, all of whom would love to have you volunteer your help.

If you have a specific need or are aware of one, feel free to ask for help. The arrangements can then be discussed through private PM's and e-mail.

donnie123abc1
03-17-2005, 11:48 AM
Sharon, I was a nursing assistant for 15 yrs. I'm pretty sure that although I no longer do that type of our I still have that nurturing quality. I enjoy helping people. I am also very sure that there are a lot of CDs that are nurses or homehealth aides that would like to be involved in something like this.
MarieTG, Sharon is however right about the TS group thingy. Check your local area there may already be services available. No sense creating someting that is already there. Yes it is nice to have a friend take care of you but it is better to have someone with the medical experience.

Dawn Marrie (That Who I Be !)

MarieTS
03-17-2005, 10:52 PM
Sharon-- That's good news! I had no idea something like this was already in place. It seems so many I've chatted with preparing for SRS are unaware of these available groups and the benefits they offer. I'm glad those in need have those options. Perhaps there is a better way to publicize that information.