PDA

View Full Version : Have you kept clothes that don't fit you anymore...

heathr1
08-12-2007, 12:32 PM
simply because you love them or they have sentimental value?

I've kept a PVC skirt I love the look of that I can no longer fit into.

Marla S
08-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Yep, something I sewed about 17 years ago. (kind of my first outing clothes).
Happy that I kept it, because it fits again recently.

KarenSusan
08-12-2007, 12:39 PM
When I was a lot heavier I threw out a couple of cute skirts I thought I would never fit into. I have lost a lot of weight and now wished I had kept them.

Hermione Simpson
08-12-2007, 12:41 PM
yes, i've still got a black skirt that doesn't fit me at the moment, the reason why i've kept it, is that it's only 1 size too small, so it's giving me an incentive to lose weight

Phyliss
08-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Yes I have kept most of my clothes. Many of then arw too big for me now, and I guess the only reason I haven't gotten rid of them is ,.... "just in case" I should suddenly "blimp up" I'll at least have something to wear.
Cost me enough to keep up with any weight loss, (ever smaller sizes) I really don't want to have to "buy back up". I keep those clothes in a seperate area of my "stash" closet. Some of them are rather nice, but they now hang on me like a sack.

Nastasha
08-12-2007, 12:50 PM
Yes .. still have my first pair of panties and bra.

I'll never fit into them again .. but they were my first.

BarbaraTalbot
08-12-2007, 01:20 PM
probably because after the mom-tried-to-make-me-accept-girl-jeans-and-then-made-me-buy-my-own-clothes fiasco (http://barbaratalbot.blogspot.com/2007_07_01_archive.html), I was invested literally in every thing I ever owned from the age of 14. I have only parted with some as my teenage son has started borrowing some. (ARRGGG he skateboarded in my all wool suits during one phase!)

I have recently talked about eliminating the dozen or so items still in the closet unworn for the last 15+ years to make room for Barbara's ever expanding wardrobe.

SO far it is only talk!

trannie T
08-12-2007, 03:45 PM
All I have to do is lose some weight and they'll fit again.

This is the mantra I've been repeating for the last 20 years.

Veronica 1
08-12-2007, 05:53 PM

This is the mantra I've been repeating for the last 20 years.

And it hasn't worked yet? :heehee: Sorry, just had to say it.

Karren H
08-12-2007, 06:14 PM
No!! I give them away.... And they were clothes that were too big for me.. or ones I grew tired of..... but they are just clothes... and don't really have an sentimental value to me... I'm about ready to get rid of a bunch here shortly....

Karren

Wendy me
08-12-2007, 06:17 PM
yes i have tons too small and too big .....

jennCD
08-12-2007, 06:29 PM
I still have the first leather mini I bought back in 1990... a darn shame it quickly "undergrew" my less-than-girlish figure at the time. LOL... but I never got rid of it,... even pulled it out of storage a month ago for pics (tho sshhhhh, I wasn't able to even zip the lil thing up, but still looked fine from the front) so maybe no one would know from the photos! :happy: ... and I won't go into the torn back seam that um, developed after I went to pick up the camera! :mad:
Time to shop for a new mini, methinks....

jenn

Faith_G
08-12-2007, 07:30 PM
No, but thankfully that's because I've been steadily losing weight for the past four years. As clothes get too big to fit well they are purged - I want it to hit me in the wallet if I slip backwards. :bigsmack:

Slip Affinity
08-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Yes, mostly slips I can't quite wear anymore but there is always the chance I'll lose the weight I need to get back in them again. A couple of them go back to the late 60's so I can't stand the thought of getting rid of them.

angelfire
08-12-2007, 09:13 PM
Bah, yes. I bought a few skirts without trying them on, and they don't fit, but I hope eventually I'll lose the weight to fit into them.

Lori SC
08-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Yeah.... There are one or two items that I keep for sentimental value - they were among my first buys. But they still fit!!!

Some things I hated and tossed, good riddence!

And then there are oh so many that I should toss, but can't seem to make that final decision.

:<3::<3::<3:I guess I just love my female clothes too much!!:love:

Gee, can 'ya tell I'm a CD?

Hugs, Lori

susie evans
08-12-2007, 10:11 PM
i'am saving them up so i can have a santa susie's give away i stold the ideal from karren hutton (thought it was very good and didn't think she would mind )thought it would help some other sisters :hugs:

susie

Jocelyn Quivers
08-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Yes, I hold on to clothes that no longer fit for 2 reasons.
1. For a sense of accomplishment and documentation for how much weight I've lost.
2. If I gain all the weight back, I will not have to buy another wardrobe all over again. Jocelyn

Jenny Beth
08-13-2007, 12:02 AM
Yup, I'm guilty of keeping things that no longer fit or are way out of fashion. And I still have the first bra my wife bought me over twenty years ago, it's a treasure I'll never part with. Weird eh!

TxKimberly
08-13-2007, 06:53 AM
simply because you love them or they have sentimental value?

I've kept a PVC skirt I love the look of that I can no longer fit into.

Trust me, the vast majority of women do this! You just keep telling yourself "I'm gonna loose the weight - it will fit again"
Yeh, right . . .

carolinebrookes
08-13-2007, 08:17 AM
I have been very guilty of this in the past. What the heck was i going to do with a ra-ra skirt? Sentimental reasons for that one, but I guess i have also hung on too long to other things that, unless fashion comes back that way quickly, I shall never wear outside again.... and probably never inside either!

A leather trenchcoat, white stiletto's, frilly fronted blouses, suits with way too much shoulder pads, tight kick pleat skirts, denim micro skirts have now all been put to the charity shop along with the aforementioned ra-ra skirt because I have seen sense and realised that I am going to have to get rid of them or move house to one with double the wardrobe space!

It does mean that I have moved on and fashion and styles change all the time and I have taken the decision that my wardrobe and style shall move along with the times too, sad as I might be to get rid of a favourite piece of clothing. Hopefully it also allows my style to develop too.
There was a time when anything I wore was short and tight. Now, although I still enjoy wearing something short and tight from time to time, I dress to blend in and hopefully I do most of the time.

Lilith Moon
08-13-2007, 08:24 AM
I have quite a few clothes that didn't fit any more but I kept them anyway. Now I've got my weight down I can wear them again. Most went out of fashion a long time ago but I still enjoy wearing them around the house...maybe I shall wear them if I get chance to get out again. After all, it is not unusual to see older GGs wearing the same, less fashionable, styles they wore when they were younger so why can't we do the same ?

Kristen Marie
08-13-2007, 08:26 AM
Last month I went through all of my clothes and shoes and, well, everything. Tried everything on and made some honest evaluations of the outfits. I eliminated two trash bags worth of items and donated the good stuff to my local make-over ladies. They included:

1. Items that I bought when I was "in heat"....you know, those items you just had to buy even though they did not fit or even if they did fit, where are you ever going to wear them. For example, black patent leather platform high heel shoes from Payless that were too big and I cannot walk in.

2. Items that I no longer fit into because I have lost weight and they are simple too big. This was my biggest thrill. Going from an 18 jean to 14. Those 18's are gone!

Tiffy
08-13-2007, 08:37 AM
I was telling the wife yesterday that she and I both needed to sort our clothes and get rid of what don't fit. Wonder if we will do it this time?

Tiffany

LindaTS
08-13-2007, 01:46 PM
I usually bag them up about once a year, along with things that I no longer wear, and make a trip to the Salvation Army. I hope someone can make use of them. Don't get me wrong, I never have much of anything that no longer fits. I don't know if this is good or bad.

TxKimberly
08-13-2007, 01:47 PM
. . . Items that I bought when I was "in heat"....

OMG - I'm keeping that phrase! I like it and it fits the situation. "But it was SOOO cute I just HAD to try it". I've got a pile of those right now in front of my closet that I need give/throw away.

SarahLynn
08-13-2007, 10:56 PM
I have a few things which will likely never see the light of day again but they are few. The reason; because i bought things which were classic in style, ie. things which never go out of style, (skirts, and blouses,{i don't look good in dresses}, shoes, and jackets) so that when i needed new things my older, smaller things would still be in style should i ever loose the excess weight. I am, so soon i'll be able to wear those outfits too.

SarahLynn

Khriss
08-13-2007, 11:20 PM
...sure ! ? , as leather stretches ..right ??
hehe :eek::D xx"K"

shauna 9
08-13-2007, 11:56 PM
No!! I still have all of my old close a lingerie . since my son was born my wife wears my old lingerie . I still have the first pair of panties my wife put on me 18 plus years ago.

Sheri 4242
08-14-2007, 12:30 AM
MY wife and I are both going through our closets this week b/c they've exploded into the bedroom. Some (that didn't get worn -- or maybe were only worn once -- or, as somebody said, were bought when in heat) are going on ebay. Some are going to Goodwill or the like. I held onto most of my favorite skirts and tops when I lost weight thinking I'd probably regain it, but the weight has stayed off so I might as well get 'em cleaned out.

Rachell
08-14-2007, 01:35 AM
I have gone through my things many times and have never gotten rid of anything. I even keep the things that don't fit and never will I hope, I have finally gained some wanted weight but have leveled out. I know that sounds wierd but I felt I need to be 20 pounds heavier. Any one care to guess my wieght????LOL take a chance it will be fun.LOL:heehee::heehee::heehee: