PDA

View Full Version : help / shops in the UK

cdmay
08-12-2007, 07:23 PM
im still living with my mother but i want to cross dress i dont have a credit card or enough money and i have not told any one that i love to crossdress can any one think of a good idea.

Shelly Preston
08-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Thrift shops would seem to be your best bet until things change

Missy
08-12-2007, 07:34 PM
try garage sales or yard sales

trannie T
08-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Looks like crossdressing is something you're going to have to put off for a while. If you're in school you will eventually get a decent job and wear a new pair of panties every day. If you're not in school get a job. Quit hiding things from mom, she'll probably understand. I'm sorry if these are not the answers you were looking for, it is not easy to be a poor, young crossdresser.
Good luck to you, life will get better.

Jeannie
08-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Save up a few dollars and go to the Goodwill or some such store and buy a couple of items that you fancy. If you are shy and need a reason to explain to the clerk try something like " I am buying it for my girl friend" or something like that. I once bought a very sexy bustier, panty and stocking set for my wife ( it as at a time when I was denying who I am) and when I told the clerk who it was for, they were very excited and helpful. However this may not always be the standard and some may raise an eyebrow. That's all I can think of. I hope this helps a little.

Jeannie

cdmay
08-12-2007, 07:37 PM
whats a thrift shop i new to this in a way i dont know lots about all the diffrent things.

does any one live near norwich and know any good shops that are good for crossdressers? ( deffantly if there frendly)

Echo Logical
08-12-2007, 08:08 PM
...where people donate things they don't want anymore and others buy them. I recently bought a beautiful, like new black leather mini-skirt for just 10 dollars and a really cute velvet top for 6. they extra bonus is that a portion of the money you spend usually goes to a charity, so you are also doing something good for the community when you shop there. Just look in your local phonebook under "thrist store" and you ought to find a listing or two (there are six within 10 miles of my home.)

I often stop in one on the way home just to browse, most times I don't find anything I want, but every-now-and-then I find that must have practically a steal item like that mini-skirt I mentioned.

I finally worked up the courage to just take things to the dressing room and try them and. I discovered that people typically just don't notice or care. This of course lead to gaining the courage to actually buy the items that I like. I offer no explanation, and none has ever been asked.

I also like to look at womens magazines to get better ideas at how to mix and match fashion resulting in greater wardrobe options with fewer items.

If you want to dress in the absolute latest fashions, then thrift stores won't be of much help, but you can do wonderful things with items that someone else once wore.

Katie-Jayne
08-12-2007, 08:26 PM
whats a thrift shop i new to this in a way i dont know lots about all the diffrent things.

does any one live near norwich and know any good shops that are good for crossdressers? ( deffantly if there frendly)

Thrift stores are what we call charity shops in the UK I think. You should try charity shops. I go all the time and I have got some fabulous stuff.

You might also want to try car boot sales as well.

angelfire
08-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Thrift stores are the way to go. Also, the comment about giving the excuse that it is for your girlfriend I don't think works so well at a thrift/charity shop. Who goes shopping for used clothes for their girlfriend, anyway?

Sabrina Flowers
08-13-2007, 01:37 AM
As others have said, charity shops are good for clothes, I think Oxfam have a good Trangender policy, but any off the others should be O.K. probally best to go early in the daytime week when there are not many people about. Also wiat untill the sale are on, New Look, MK One, Primark etc all have bargins if that is your style. I got a lot of my stuff these shops with no problems. Being in the closet and dressing not very much I can't justify spending a lot of money on items.
Good luck with your shopping and the urge will over come the fear.

Ema1234 GG
08-13-2007, 03:22 AM
I've just looked at your profile and you are 19. Now perhaps it's not my place but I feel compelled to give you a bit of life advice.

I'm only 21 myself but by the age of 19 (whilst being in full time education at University) I was working 16 hours a week, and had been since I was 17, and earning approximately £450 per month. I had a bank account with a Visa Debit card. Infact, I'd had a bank account since I was 16 years old, and until I was 18 I had a Visa Electron (Or Solo card, depends on which bank you use) which basically allows you to use it in shops but prevents you going overdrawn.

I'm inclined to believe you are either younger than you say you are, or you really need to think about these things! At 19 years old and you don't even have a debit card?

Having said that, the thrift stores people refer to our the same as Charity Shops here in the UK. These would be an ideal way for you to build up a collection of items without having to spend a great deal.

I do sympathise with you living on a tight budget. I've done that myself for a long time now. But I really don't buy the fact that you are 19 and don't have a bank account and therefore a debit card.

angelfire
08-13-2007, 07:17 AM
I've just looked at your profile and you are 19. Now perhaps it's not my place but I feel compelled to give you a bit of life advice.

I'm only 21 myself but by the age of 19 (whilst being in full time education at University) I was working 16 hours a week, and had been since I was 17, and earning approximately £450 per month. I had a bank account with a Visa Debit card. Infact, I'd had a bank account since I was 16 years old, and until I was 18 I had a Visa Electron (Or Solo card, depends on which bank you use) which basically allows you to use it in shops but prevents you going overdrawn.

I'm inclined to believe you are either younger than you say you are, or you really need to think about these things! At 19 years old and you don't even have a debit card?

That is actually a good point. I have had a job since 17, and while many times I had very few hours while in college, and didn't have much/any money to devote to clothes, I did have a debit card, and since I was 19 had a credit card. So my advice is also to find a job, so then you have some income, so then you can buy some clothes.

emma_enfemme
08-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Don't ever get a credit card. If you don't have enough money now you can't afford one. I'm speaking from bitter experience.

On a brighter note, is there a Primark near you? I'll list my latest purchases to give you an idea

High heeled courts £8 (I know they're plastic but they look great)
3 tops £2.50 each
A skirt £6
4 pairs knickers £1 each
Total £25.50 all standard price. I haven't been to one of their sales yet but any cheaper and they'll pay you for it.

Ema1234 GG
08-13-2007, 05:33 PM
Don't ever get a credit card. If you don't have enough money now you can't afford one. I'm speaking from bitter experience.

I'd agree with that as well. No point spending what you haven't got if you can avoid it.

But there's no reason why they couldn't have a debit card. At 19 years old they must have some form of money coming in, either through a job or through benefits.

Either that, or they're younger than 19. Just my :2c:

EDIT: And just as a side point a debit card would allow you to order online, which I think for many is of HUGE importance.

Emma England
08-14-2007, 02:25 PM
That is actually a good point. I have had a job since 17, and while many times I had very few hours while in college, and didn't have much/any money to devote to clothes, I did have a debit card, and since I was 19 had a credit card. So my advice is also to find a job, so then you have some income, so then you can buy some clothes.

It is not always easy just to get a job.

I have 3 part-time cleaning jobs, which gives me a very low income (so low that I am entitled to benefits to top up my income). I am constantly looking for something better, but all employers ask for is experience that I do not have.

But a job first is essential before a credit card should be applied for.