PDA

View Full Version : To Androgyne and back...food for thought!

Tara Julliette
08-13-2007, 09:39 AM
Recently took the Cogiati - COMBINED GENDER IDENTITY AND TRANSSEXUALITY INVENTORY - test.

I know this has been discussed before, but just wanted to share my 2 cents worth!

My COGIATTI Result: 115 - Im described as 'Androgynous' or ANDROGYNE

A little bit androgynous - seems perfectly OK to me.

Does anyone else fall into this gender type?

From what I’ve read to date there seems to be little in the way of definitive tools that can stand up to the rigour of scrutiny can identify for sure what one may or may not be in terms of transsexual or transgender traits

While there seems to be some professional doubt as to COGIATTI's scientific validity (see critiques on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COGIATI), it does, if one takes it on board lightly, shed some much needed light on things that deep down we often already know, but need some labels which can be handy sometimes. They tend to become the 'internal permissions' that we all need to be afforded to live a happy life. No matter who we are.

It sure goes along way to explain me and my female and male sides living side by side for so long. I feel much more balanced now - ok...on with life.

COGIATTI classified my internal gender identity to be essentially androgynous, both male and female at the same time.

Explaining that in some cultures in history, as an Androgyne one would be considered to be a third sex, independent of the polarities of masculine or feminine. It explains that ones gender issues are intrinsic to my construction, and that I will most likely find happiness playing with expressing both genders as I feel like it.

That’s seems to be quite consistent with where I am at at present.

It has provided me with a sense of great relief and happiness. As, I love being a man and the feeling of being dressed up in well cut clothes, I have exactly the same feelings when dressing in some way as a women, or at least with feminine aspects. For example today, simply going into an Asian furnishings and clothing outlet gave me great joy looking and feeling the beautiful fabrics of the hand woven scarves and shawls.

Going to work with just jeans and jocks after days with pantyhose under my jeans, there was distinctly masculine feeling arising. It felt really good, in some way excentuated by the experience of the previous few days.

The Cogiatti classification makes the following suggestions for action:

It says, my situation is a little tricky in our current society, but not tremendously so, depending on ones geographic location.

The suggestions for my circumstance are not overly complicated.

1. If you have any comfortability (issues) about your gender expression, some slight degree of counseling might well prove helpful. The primary goal would be to make it possible for you to enjoy your gender expressions free from any shame or embarrassment, and to resolve any remaining questions you might have. (everything is fine as it is!)

2. As an androgynous being, both genders, and both sexes are natural to your expression. (there's nothing to do, just enjoy)

3. If you have not already, consider joining any of the thousands of groups devoted to gender play of various varieties. There is literally a world of friends to discover who share your interests. (I joined www.crossdressers.com forum)

Ref: http://transsexual.org/cogiati/index.php?lang=en

Here is the dictionary meaning of androgyne: another word for hermaphrodite; from aner man + guner woman. Androgynous: having male and female characteristics; hermaphrodyte.

Next up I tried Kate Borsteins Gender Aptitude Test and came up with a score of 102 which defined me as a Gender Novice.

Gave another view and frightenly accurate. Put the two together (COGIATTI & Borsteins and it all seems quite plausible. LOL

Here’s what the test had to say it had to say:

'Gee, it's like you have one hand in respectability and the other hand someplace where both of you like it. (sounds pretty true)

You're not always taken for 'normal', are you? (that’s true too). In fact, you probably get an infrequent but regular bout of the gender willies from time to time, don't you? (Love browsing the girls stuff at the risk of being labelled a bit camp)

And a lot of this gender stuff is probably kinda new to you ...(so true – its been brewing) a little scary and a little thrilling, right? (yes and yes)

Maybe it's time to explore exactly what scares you. (ongoing process) Go on ... you know how to be gentle with yourself.'

Find the test at: http://cydathria.com/ms_donna/ga_test.html

Well I hope you have found this of interest.

Bye for now.

Wendy me
08-13-2007, 10:09 AM
i have taken it a few times ..... problem with most of them tests is you can answer the questions so your score ends up were your happy ......as far as etched in stone positive i would say no way........

Claudia Zylindrias
08-13-2007, 10:33 AM
Tara,

Thanks that was a great test, i got an ....

Your COGIATI result value is: -80 Which means that you fall within the following category:
COGIATI classification THREE, ANDROGYNE
What this means is that the Combined Gender Identity And Transsexuality Inventory has classified your internal gender identity to be essentially androgynous, both male and female at the same time, or possibly neither. In some cultures in history, you would be considered to be a third sex, independent of the polarities of masculine or feminine. Your gender issues are intrinsic to your construction, and you will most likely find your happiness playing with expressing both genders as you feel like it.

It was quite right.

GACountrygal
08-13-2007, 10:52 AM
I can't say whether that test is really accurate or not.

I scored Androgonous, but I already knew I would cuz thats just who I am!!

Marla S
08-13-2007, 11:18 AM
IMO these tests are like horoscopes and should be taken like that.
They can provide a start for own thoughts and a start to scrutinize the own self, but if you buy in them you are usually lost.
Who you are has to be defined by yourself and not by some tests.

How tricky it can be to just take the words shows the dictionary entry for ANDROGYNE.

Cogati is a psychological test. In psychology androgyne has a different meaning than in biology.
Hermaphrodite is a strictly biological term which refers solely to having a complete set of male and female sexual organs.

In psychology androgyne means having pronounced traits and skills of both genders, which doesn't automatically mean you are a CD or TG.

BTW: My COGATI is androgyne too. I knew it before, but wasn't sure, now I am, but it needed a lot more than this test.

Kate Simmons
08-13-2007, 11:40 AM
Tests are okay if that is what you need for "confirmation" of who you are. Most of these things are developed by people with no vested interest in them anyway. I don't even think I'm an androgyne really, I'm just myself and don't place any limitations on myself realistically or figuratively. As humans we just love to classify things and people and unknowns are scary and not to be trusted. The alternative is to be an explorer and really seek that which cannot be defined or catagorized. Of course to do that, you have to be willing to embrace the unknown and not be afraid. Very few people are willing to do that.:happy:

Carin
08-13-2007, 12:22 PM
COMBINED GENDER IDENTITY AND TRANSSEXUALITY INVENTORY !!

I believe I took a form of that test yestersay when I cleaned out my dresser drawers. My INVENTORY score:
clothing immediately identifiable as guy clothes : 0
bras, panties, trouser socks, pantyhose: too many, need to toss a few and make room.
T-shirts and tops: nothing white. lots of androgenous colors.

One of my teen daughters (who doesn't explicitly know) has mentioned several times recently how she likes a particular top on me, or that a particular color suits me, referring to a very feminine cut pair of jeans and a couple of :o purple tops.

Inventory results: SATISFACTORY.