PDA

View Full Version : tharipist

JOEY88
08-13-2007, 11:38 PM
im planing to see a gender tharipst,whats it like

Stephenie S
08-13-2007, 11:42 PM
Very helpful.

One important thing to remember is to tell your therapist EVERYTHING. They can't help you if you lie or withhold information.

It's a good move, dear.

Lovies,
Steph

AmberTG
08-13-2007, 11:45 PM
What Stephenie said!

uknowhoo
08-13-2007, 11:49 PM
I've not seen a "gender" therapist, per se, but I did start seeing a therapist several months ago and it really has been quite beneficial. As the other girls alluded to... you only get out of it what you put into it. Be honest with the therapist AND yourself. Good luck. :hugs:

Susan.
08-13-2007, 11:55 PM
I saw a therapist for a few years. It was wonderful going to her. She did seem a little over zealous though, as she offered to recommend hormones for me. I don't plan on ever taking hormones so I don't know what she was thinking but it was "something for me to consider"; and that make it a bit exciting even though I knew I wouldn't. I ended up moving away because of my job.

JOEY88
08-13-2007, 11:56 PM
thanks every one,i gues im just scared but some times discovery can be ,ill be as honest as i can, thanks again

AmberTG
08-14-2007, 12:25 AM
You'll be fine! If you're like me, once you start talking, it'll all just spill out at once. It was such a relief to talk to someone who would not judge me in any way, and over the course of a year, she helped me so much with my issues!

tari
08-14-2007, 07:28 AM
I was in crisis and found my therapist. She saved my life.

StephanieH
08-14-2007, 07:38 AM
:2c: Don't hold anything back, like others have said, bear it all, it isn't like the therapist is going to tell anybody. And believe me, there isn't anything they haven't heard before unless they're fresh out of school!

I had been seeing my therapist for years about some other stuff before I finally came to grips with my wanting to CD a couple years ago and told him about it. We actually had quite a good little laugh about it and he told me it was way more common than I would imagine and that a number of his patients had the same little "problem". That was as far as his professional ethics would allow him to go, but it did set me somewhat at ease that I wasn't alone, even down here in swampy redneck infested Louisiana!

Just lay all the cards on the table, it's a lot easier when someone else knows, and he/she will likely have some good ideas for you. Take care! :D

Karren H
08-14-2007, 08:23 AM
I rate theripsts up there with consultants.. You pay them money and they tell you what you want to hear... IMHO.. But hey, if that works for you, that's great...

Karren

Sharon
08-14-2007, 12:04 PM
I rate theripsts up there with consultants.. You pay them money and they tell you what you want to hear... IMHO.. But hey, if that works for you, that's great...

Karren

I sometimes wish my therapist would just tell me what I want to hear. She has this annoying habit of trying to push my buttons, however. :happy:

im planing to see a gender tharipst,whats it like

All therapists are different, and there will be some that you feel comfortable with, and others you do not.

I have had two therapists and my present one is terrific, in that she has an open mind, a thirst for knowledge, and is both supportive and knows how to handle me (not easy). The first one I saw, many years ago, was totally wrong for me in that she, first of all, was unqualified to deal with gender issues, and, secondly, because she had preconceived notions which made me defensive and unwilling to be completely open with her.

So, what I am saying, is to not give up if the first therapist you see isn't quite right. Try another.:happy:

Stephenie S
08-14-2007, 12:19 PM
thanks every one,i gues im just scared but some times discovery can be ,ill be as honest as i can, thanks again

Sweetie, try to figureout what you are scared of.

You know, of course, that there is NOTHING to be afraid of. If you need to go to a therapist (if you have questions about your gender identity)(or any other part of your life) that you are having trouble answering on your own, a therapist is a GOOD thing. When your car doesn't run right and you can't figure it out, you take it to someone who can help. Your mechanic. When your LIFE doesn't run right and you can't figure it out on your own, you take it (your life) to a therapist. They have studied years about how life works and can HELP you figure out what's going wrong in your life.

If you need help, try one out. You can ALWAYS say, "No thanks, I don't like your advice". But give 'em a try, hon. Some of them are really good. After all, that's what they do for a living.

Lovies,
Stephenie

Sally24
08-14-2007, 05:55 PM
I've seen one gender therapist off and on for the last few years and it has helped me to relax and learn to deal with my gender needs. She is very open and relaxing and we just sit and talk. A good therapist will have you talking most of the time. If you start fading away from the important topics, they will question you and get you going back in the right direction.

Good Luck!

Wendy me
08-14-2007, 06:01 PM
how to tell if your therapist is a good therapist..... you start to feel good abought you ....and you look forward to the next appointment ..... a bad therapist just doesn't feel right .... trust me you will know .....