PDA

View Full Version : help with chest hair?

dakota_ann69
08-15-2007, 04:34 AM
I have found no real success in shaving my chest hair, can any of you lovely ladies provide some insight for me? I have very dark and thick hair and everytime i shave i get a terrible rash and it itches for days. other than laser hair removal which is not in my budget what can you suggest. :eek:

Katrina
08-15-2007, 04:51 AM
Waxing or epilating. Both are painful and I'm not sure what does a better job at this point. Every time I wax I get a rash from it, although the rash is getting less and less every time.

Ema1234 GG
08-15-2007, 05:03 AM
I cannot shave my legs as the itching I get afterwards is awful. In the past I've itched my legs until they were bleeding. I've tried every tip and trick in the book and nothing would stop the itching.

So, my friend recommended I try babyliss simply smooth.

http://www.babyliss.co.uk/jkcm/default.aspx?pg=211

It's absoloutely fantastic. I get no rash, no ingrowing hairs and best of all no itching! Plus, it also exfoliates the skin at the same time which is an added bonus. I don't know how I lived without it.

Emma England
08-15-2007, 05:52 AM
The only problem with the babyliss is that the pads get worn out very quickly.

Never known where to buy replacement pads from.

DonnaT
08-15-2007, 07:13 AM
Try a moisturizer with salicylic acid (http://www.acne.org/over-the-counter.php?view=Salicylic+Acid)as an active ingredient. There are a number of such moisturizers sold at the (CVS) pharmacy. Saw several near the foot care section. Should be other's, such as Aveeno Clear Complexion Daily Moisturizer (http://www.drugstore.com/qxp76338_333181_sespider/aveeno/clear_complexion_daily_moisturizer.htm)elsewhere in the store.

A big problem with chest hair is the fact that it is naturally curly for some. Curly hair removed below the surface of the skin often results in it growing back under the skin.

Ema1234 GG
08-15-2007, 07:19 AM
With the babyliss take a slightly damp cloth and wipe over them to remove the coating that they seem to get after use. Allow them to dry completely and they are as a good as new!

stacie
08-15-2007, 07:37 AM
Just keep shaving and put lots of lotion on, In time the rash will mostly go away.

Kahlan51
08-15-2007, 07:46 AM
The only problem with the babyliss is that the pads get worn out very quickly.

Never known where to buy replacement pads from.

They are for sale on Conair website I linked to there from babyliss website
Kahlan

Robin Leigh
08-15-2007, 08:33 AM
Exfoliation is essential on the chest area to avoid ingrown hairs, and it helps reduce shaving rash, too.

As usual, I recommend that you try dry shaving, using baby powder as a lubricant. See this link for details: Dry Body Shaving (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=535591#post535591) .

I used to get very itchy from shaving my chest & genital area before I discovered dry shaving. Now that's not a problem for me.

If you try this method, please let me know.

:hugs:

Robin

loardata
08-15-2007, 08:57 AM
hey girl:after shaving my chest i hold as cold a washclothe on my chest as i can stand. for me it cuts way down on the bumps(rash)-have fun -hugs from michille:happy:

KimberlyS
08-15-2007, 09:56 AM
Ann, I am with you on the furry chest problem. Even shaving for me did not give a clean look with the thick coarse hairs still visible in the pores. Depending on what type of look you want I have done different options. For higher neck lines I have just taken a tweezer and lowered my hair line just below the neck line of the top I would be wearing. This is a bit time consuming but gets the same results as waxing.

For a bit lower I have waxed my upper chest. The chest is a more tender area of the body so yes a bit of pain involved for sudden but short periods of time. My wife did this for me so waxing also allowed her to take out some of her frustrations with my CDing via pulling off the wax strips and saying to me "So is it worth it". I guess you could call it a type of relationship therapy.

My wife got tired of the stubble coming back so I have begun using an epilator moving it very slowly. And the thicker spots I have been thinning down with the tweezer first then finishing it with the epilator.

One big NOTE: for you. What every amount you are planning on doing do it all at once. Waxing first would be a good option even if then epilating it after. My hair also grows very fast. My first tweezing was over a period of time. By the time I got done with what I was going to do, the new growth was coming back in. So just do it and get it done which ever way you do it.

Also as others have noted. Good skin care and exfoliating is a must to help prevent ingrown hairs. I do not have curly hair, but as someone else said, I have gotten some hairs growing under the skin.

PS Welcome to the forum. Leave a message in the new members area. Does you name have a meaning to it?

Tasha T
08-15-2007, 10:20 AM
I too have had horrible results shaving my chest. Last week I decided to use the Moom hair removal system (supposed to be like waxing without the pain...yeah, right!) and it was extremely painful and I got a horrible rash that is finally starting to fade just a little. I tried epilating to remove my chest hair once, but it was excruciating torture. Nair always works good for me, but I don't like the idea of using chemicals on a regular basis.

One thing I did pay attention to the other day, was when my barber was shaving the back of my neck. First he put talcum powder on a brush and lightly dusted, then he took a dry straight razor, shaved and wiped it off in between passes with a cloth. Then immediately after finishing he took witch hazel in his hands and went over every place he had used the razor on. My guess is that with adequate preparation, proper technique and immediate anti bacterial treatment when you're finished, the results should be a lot better. I'm looking forward to trying again soon to see if I can get it right this time. I hope you can find a solution too.

Robin Leigh
08-15-2007, 11:25 AM
One thing I did pay attention to the other day, was when my barber was shaving the back of my neck. First he put talcum powder on a brush and lightly dusted, then he took a dry straight razor, shaved and wiped it off in between passes with a cloth. Then immediately after finishing he took witch hazel in his hands and went over every place he had used the razor on.
Barbers aren't silly. Dry shaving works!

Robin

Phoebe Reece
08-15-2007, 05:06 PM
I used to have the same problem you described. Every time I shaved my chest I got a rash and had terrible itching. Then I got the Philips Bodygroom electric shaver (see this thread: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64594). Since I tried it, no rash and no itching - just smooth skin. These are getting to be pretty widely available. I've seen them at Target and Walmart and some local pharmacies.
See this link for the cost from Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Norelco-BG2020-Bodygroom-Shaver/dp/B000EG8HLE/ref=sr_1_1/104-7261098-9024747?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1187235128&sr=1-1

Joy Carter
08-15-2007, 05:20 PM
I used to have the same problem you described. Every time I shaved my chest I got a rash and had terrible itching. Then I got the Philips Bodygroom electric shaver (see this thread: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64594). Since I tried it, no rash and no itching - just smooth skin. These are getting to be pretty widely available. I've seen them at Target and Walmart and some local pharmacies.

And the cost ?

SandyR
08-15-2007, 05:25 PM
It took me almost 6 months to get my legs under control. Lots of lotion, and for weeks I only shaved with the grain then slowly worked areas until now. As to my chest other then laser hair removal, I used a person that knew how to sugar. Its like waxing but more of a honey type product. Cost around 100, for back and chest, but even then it only lasted about 3-5 weeks. On the good side though I only had bad in-growns on the 1st time.

Good luck.

SandyR

"Mary"
08-15-2007, 09:16 PM
I'll echo Katrina (Reply #2).

I find simply pulling the longest ones out, helps gradually thin it all. 5 mins after shower seems to be the "grippiest" time.

I occasionally epillate some.

Shaving leads to sharp offensive stubble. SO's do not like it.

It all leaves a rash, but it's getting thinner and less rashy. Gradually.

Removing the whole hair results in finer softer hair growing in, not os much sharp stubble.

insearchofme
08-15-2007, 09:19 PM
I have two words that work for me, "Wax it!"

Deidra Cowen
08-15-2007, 09:38 PM
Just keep shaving and put lots of lotion on, In time the rash will mostly go away.

Thats true...just keep shaving and taking care of your skin. In a month or two you will be doing a lot better with the bumps and itching.

Tamara Croft
08-15-2007, 09:41 PM
I have two words that work for me, "Wax it!"I have one word for that 'OUCH'....

jennig
08-15-2007, 10:27 PM
HI girls my chest hair grows faster then most weeds been shaving for years by the next day I was app man again. then went to waxing lasts longer then shaving but after three day I would get a rash. then just last month I tried lazer and I could not be happer. not compleatly smmoth yet but what a difference and no rash and It hurt way less than waxing.
huggs jennig:2c:

Veronica 1
08-15-2007, 10:30 PM
Exfoliation is essential on the chest area to avoid ingrown hairs, and it helps reduce shaving rash, too.

As usual, I recommend that you try dry shaving, using baby powder as a lubricant. See this link for details: Dry Body Shaving (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=535591#post535591) .

I used to get very itchy from shaving my chest & genital area before I discovered dry shaving. Now that's not a problem for me.

If you try this method, please let me know.

Robin

I dry shave my nether region all the time. i get better coverage in the wrinkly areas and no razor burn.

insearchofme
08-16-2007, 05:30 AM
Tamara

I have really sensitive skin and to my surprise waxing doesn't hurt that much. Sure there's some pain, but it's not too bad. To me a little pain is worth it.

Elizabeth Anne
08-18-2007, 08:15 PM
$36.88 at Wal-Mart

Target has 2 with the same name. One says new, it is $36.99. The other one is $44.99.

Beth

surfdoc
08-18-2007, 08:57 PM
You know... I read most of the posts and still I have to laugh. I tried waxing, shaving thining and swearing... I'm Italian and pretty much wind proof, I mean really, I can keep a constant temperature! I have to hand it to all of you... I wish I could get even half passable.
Ciao'

Megan_Girl
08-18-2007, 10:06 PM
Wax on....Wax off!
6 months ago I went for a professional wax on my chest and back. 3 visits later the hairs are fewer, softer and finer. And any rash I may get is gone by the next morning. I love the pampered fealing of having a professional do the job. And the results are fantastic.
I can go longer and longer between visits. And the pain is minimal ... and worth it. The cost of beauty :lol:
XXX
Megan

Drucilla
08-18-2007, 10:29 PM
Does anyone have any experience with an electric shaver (other than the BodyGroom) ? I am thinking about one made specifically for shaving women's underarms and legs . I have looked at several for around $40 but can't decide if it's worth a try.

allskirts
08-31-2007, 05:17 PM
I have a really hairy chest, and all my hair grows fast. If I go through all the work of shaving its back to pokey stubble by the morning :mad: I ordered a Braun X'elle epilator that came today hoping for something that will last at least a few days and... ouch!@ I'm trying vodka and going to give it another whirl in a little while :drink:

Cara Allen
08-31-2007, 05:39 PM
I would shave my legs and chest, every time before I would go in public, and try to keep it up as best as I could the rest of the time. In about 6 hours, my legs were like sandpaper, and I couldn't pull a tee shirt on without it snagging.

Last week, I bought an epilator... I had heard about it and just had to try it!

It has been a week tomorrow since I did my legs, and... NO STUBBLE! I am sooooo happy! This is UNBELIEVABLE! (Yippee!~) Combined with the indications that the more you do it, the less grows back... Who the heck needs an electrologist??? I suspect that, at some point, there will be deminishing returns.

I had heard that tweezing would stop growth, and I kept hoping that this would work for my eye brows... I noticed that it eventually did... the areas I tweeze are not coming back! It takes a year or so of tweezing, and I suspect that this is the same process with this.

Anyway, if you do not like pain and are not into BDSM, be prepared for some pain. AFTER I did the first complete "shedding," I found a post that said that it is far less painful if you are working with shorter hairs, and the epilator will pull hair as short as one centimeter! So, if you plan to do this, I would recommend first shaving with a hair trimmer with that comb thing on it, then go back and mow it down.

I love myt epilator! The TG police will have to pry it from my cold, dead hand!

Zee
08-31-2007, 05:57 PM
I would shave my legs and chest, every time before I would go in public, and try to keep it up as best as I could the rest of the time. In about 6 hours, my legs were like sandpaper, and I couldn't pull a tee shirt on without it snagging.

Last week, I bought an epilator... I had heard about it and just had to try it!

It has been a week tomorrow since I did my legs, and... NO STUBBLE! I am sooooo happy! This is UNBELIEVABLE! (Yippee!~) Combined with the indications that the more you do it, the less grows back... Who the heck needs an electrologist??? I suspect that, at some point, there will be deminishing returns.

I had heard that tweezing would stop growth, and I kept hoping that this would work for my eye brows... I noticed that it eventually did... the areas I tweeze are not coming back! It takes a year or so of tweezing, and I suspect that this is the same process with this.

Anyway, if you do not like pain and are not into BDSM, be prepared for some pain. AFTER I did the first complete "shedding," I found a post that said that it is far less painful if you are working with shorter hairs, and the epilator will pull hair as short as one centimeter! So, if you plan to do this, I would recommend first shaving with a hair trimmer with that comb thing on it, then go back and mow it down.

I love myt epilator! The TG police will have to pry it from my cold, dead hand!

Diddo, Love my epilator. Its picking up hairs that are about 1/2 cm too, (5 mm's). My chest is slowly becomming used to it, but it hurts less and less.

Cara Allen
08-31-2007, 06:07 PM
Diddo, Love my epilator. Its picking up hairs that are about 1/2 cm too, (5 mm's). My chest is slowly becomming used to it, but it hurts less and less.

How long have you been epilating, Zee? Do you notice reduced regrowth?

Cara Allen
08-31-2007, 06:10 PM
I know of another solution that may work for the squeamish... I am going to try Miracle shave powder, this weekend... It's this little can of powder that you mix with equal parts water, and it is made for BEARDS! It's a dipilatory for black guys who have ingrown hairs from shaving! Since the face is a very sensitive area, I wonder if it wouldn't work on chest hair, too?

It says to do a test patch, and to not shave for 36 hours... Tomorrow is the day.

Says that you won't get growth back for two days. I'll believe that, when I see it... I have hopes!

Zee
08-31-2007, 06:58 PM
How long have you been epilating, Zee? Do you notice reduced regrowth?

For about a month now, and regrowth is slow. Legs are nice for about 4-5 days, tho the odd hairs do pop out... Will see in a few more months how this works, but for now, its so nice not to have to shave all the time.

Rachel Morley
08-31-2007, 07:18 PM
What worked for me was chest and abdomen waxing done at a professional (ladies) salon once a month. If you keep doing it every month, over and over, after a couple of years the hairs are so thin and weak it's no problem at all to go back to shaving if you want to.

I've had most of my body systematically waxed at over and over at a salon for the best part of 7 years. I've got some fairly good results because I'm pretty much hair free all over now. I only need to shave a small amount of thin(ish) regrowth on my legs, chest and abdomen once a week.

I agree epilating is good too, but waxing lasts longer.

Sarah.
08-31-2007, 09:02 PM
I just use an electric leg shaver. It's not the closest, but it does good enough and there's no rash or ingrown hairs.

Brenda79135
09-09-2007, 06:18 AM
I have found that the main problem in shaving has been the shaving cream or gel used. The best solution I have found to date is petrolium jelly. It moisterizes the skin when apply and allows the razor to glide accross the area being shaved wihtout any drag. This is also nice for showering. The jelly does not wash away with the water. The best razor I have found is the Venus divine razor. The three blades cut the hairs close to the skin and leave it very smooth. Once the shaving is done try a touch of dish washing soap to remove the jelly. After the shower Cureal ultra healing lotion works best. I have found this method not to produce any razor rash of bumps. Seems to last of week for myself

Brenda