PDA

View Full Version : wearded out by kids

wannabie
08-15-2007, 10:00 PM
Do you ever feel weired out by kids?

You’re in your favorite outfit and your outside. You walk into a mall or somewhere public and there are mothers with their children there. Some of the kids are looking at you; what do you say? HI? Hello?

With adults, it’s different, but with kids; how do you explain ' I'm a transvestite' to them?

I am pretending to be a woman? or I am a woman but used to be a man?

It makes some parents antsy. How do you handle it?

Veronica E. Scott
08-15-2007, 10:15 PM
Personally I don't

I ignore them and go about my business,may say hello to the adults,small chit chat or something but that is it.

joann07
08-15-2007, 10:45 PM
Personally I don't

I ignore them and go about my business,may say hello to the adults,small chit chat or something but that is it.

I couldn't agree more.
Be confident in yourself and go about your business.
Don't let others dictate who you want to be.
People can sense if someone is acting funny, especially kids.
Kids are always looking around to spot the unusual so just be yourself and act natural.
If you do that, they won't notice you.
Me, I've been around many teenagers, especially girls, several times and I just do what I normally do and they don't bother or look at me because I'm just blending in.
Show some confidence and you can do it. :happy:
Nothing to explain.

Hugs!

chucks
08-15-2007, 10:50 PM
you don't have to explain anything.

Stephenie S
08-15-2007, 11:49 PM
Oh, no sweetie. You don't understand. You don't have to explain ANYTHING to kids. The're KIDS. You are the adult. What you are doing is NONE of their business at all.

What kids really want is a great big smile, and maybe a "Hi, young man", or "Hi, little girl". They may sense something not quite right about you (kids are VERY perceptive), and all they want is a little reasurance that all is right in the world. You do this for them by SMILING at them. That's all they want. SMILE. They want to know that this perhaps rather strange looking person is "all right", and not something weird to be mistrusted.

Kids are perceptive, but they are also very trusting, and if you reasure them, they will relax.

You can, of course, ignore them if you wish, but they will then continue to watch you and continue to mistrust you.

Lovies,
Stephenie

Robin Leigh
08-16-2007, 01:00 AM
I don't go into malls, but I do feel a little uncomfortable if I encounter small children when I walk around my neighbourhood, mostly because I don't want their parents to think I'm some kind of pervert. I may smile at them if they stare at me, but I wouldn't dream of speaking to them.

Once, many years ago, I was going for a daytime stroll & passed a mother with her young daughter in their front yard. The little girl pointed at me saying, "Look at the pretty lady!". The mother read me instantly, and gave me a sour look. I said nothing & just kept walking, glad for the compliment. :)

Robin

Teresa Amina
08-16-2007, 07:02 AM
The looks small kids give you are priceless! No comment usually appropriate, just smile back. I wonder what questions they ask their mothers later? :D

KimberlyS
08-16-2007, 08:59 AM
Some of the kids are looking at you; what do you say?

No comment needed. Just smile back at them as you go by and continue about your business. If some kid does say hi, I will say hi back as I continue about my business.

Do the same thing you would do in male mode if you are busy shopping or what ever you are doing.

LindaTS
08-16-2007, 09:07 AM
I don't know because I've never had it happen to me. Of course I've been read be a couple of adults but I've never had a bad experience. I suppose if it were a child I'd probably just ignore them and go on about my business.

Marcie Sexton
08-16-2007, 09:08 AM
I agree to a certain extent, yes you are the adult, no its none of their business, BUT...shouldn't we as adults, be it drab or dressed have a responsibility to establish a report with every one of our choosing...be it an elderly person remembering the days gone by, a member of our own generation, or that of a child, we should all stive to communicate with and to them on their level...

Just my opinion...

Stephenie S
08-16-2007, 09:30 AM
I agree to a certain extent, yes you are the adult, no its none of their business, BUT...shouldn't we as adults, be it drab or dressed have a responsibility to establish a report with every one of our choosing...be it an elderly person remembering the days gone by, a member of our own generation, or that of a child, we should all stive to communicate with and to them on their level...

Just my opinion...

No, hon. I said it's none of their business what you are doing and that's true. It is. I was tryting to explain WHY you don't owe them an explanation. That was, I think, the original question. "How do you explain to a child what you are doing". You don't. KIDS don't care. They just want security in their world.

If you study psychology, you will learn that children are "egocentric". That means that they believe that the world revolves around them. Everything they do or think involves this concept. If you remember when you were a child, you will remember this yourself. Remember how you thought if you did something "just so" it would effect your life? If you said the right words, stepped the right way, performed the right ritual, etc, you could change things? That's called egocentrism, and is a stage all children must go through on the way to growing up. (some of us never get past this)

That child doesn't CARE what you are doing. The child only cares what he/she is doing. As apearing slightly "different" to them you are challenging their security.

I never said you should ignore them. I did say you should engage them. But with a friendly smile and a "Hello", NOT an explanation of what you are doing. They don't want that, anyway. The're not interested in you. Once you have established that you are friendly with that smile, and perhaps short greeting, they will be off again in their own little world, oblivious of you and your worries.

When you said we should strive to communicate with them on their own level, you are absolutely correct. But "their own level" does not include a complicated explanation of the fact that you "used to be a man, now you are a woman, etc., etc.", only a short "Hi." and "My, what a pretty dress you have on today", accompanied by a BIG friendly SMILE.

See the difference?

Lovies,
Stephenie

SANDRA MICHELLE
08-16-2007, 01:38 PM
I agree that you don't explain things to kids, thats the parents job if the kid happens to notice you and make a comment or do something that is rude. If the parent don't do it then you just go about your business. I have been in this position several times and every time when the kid was being rude the parent stepped right in to scold and instruct the child and apoligized to me. No harm no foul.