PDA

View Full Version : Niece's Idea - TG Friendly Makeover Shop?

Marcie Sexton
08-16-2007, 10:25 AM
I was talking with my neice yesterday, who lives in the Fresno Ca area, she is really cool with my dressing and envys my long legs, but that is another story...any wya she ask me if she thought that she could get off the ground with a TG friendly make over shoppe...

I told her that the majority of the girls I know would like very much to have a place to enjoy a make over and have some glamour shot taken for the occasion...

I was just wondering what if any opinion you girls think, especially those of you who may live in that area...

Wendy me
08-16-2007, 10:38 AM
the WWW.GLAMOURBOQUITE.COM is not that far away from me and i thought abought getting a make over a few times .... but never did .... it's definitely on "THE LIST" lol .......i think that it's a good idea .....

Diane CDN
08-16-2007, 11:47 AM
There is always a need for a great makeover place !
Word of mouth is ok but just doesn't cut it....marketing is the key to any new business.
Even better chance of success if one caters to the T community as well as the Gen women.

Best wishes

Diane
>^..^<

Jamie14
08-16-2007, 03:35 PM
I've had 5 professional makeovers from 3 different shops- none of them specifically T-friendly. They were all very nice- you just have to check it out ahead of time. Go in, look around, ask if they sell gift cards (good line), ask what services they have, ask if they have private areas for makeovers- although i havedone them in the middle of the shop as well)- they will figure out you are asking for you. No T-friendly places near me I'm afraid- gotta make the best of what you have!!

JamesAlan
08-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Helping my girlfriend with her nails, hair, and makeup, I've had the idea of being formally trained in those areas and started a T-friendly shop. Still thinking of it too. My girlfriend suggested (jokingly) of a black market leg shaving boutique lol. She hates shaving her own legs, likes it better when I do it for her (guess it's the pampering aspect of it). Though, of course catering to GG would be good. Wouldn't want to limit clients.

ubokvt
08-16-2007, 09:14 PM
I go to a great place called tg north, on the internet if you are interested. TG Friendly, My SO and I had makeover done togather with photos after. The owner makes you feel like one of the girls its great. Up here we would be lost with out it. Like any beauty salon its become a place to meet, socialize, and net work. And best of all its resonable. got 15 lbs to go before my next one.

Joy Carter
08-16-2007, 11:24 PM
Sounds nice to be pampered like that. But $$$$$$$$$$$. I'd rather do my own pampering and spend the cash on other things.:2c:

CDBarbie
08-17-2007, 02:27 PM
Great Idea, would Love one in louisville area.

Karren H
08-17-2007, 02:47 PM
Bet one in SWV would go over really big!!! :D

Karren

Kikacd
08-17-2007, 02:50 PM
There is "Carla's Boutique" in San Jose, CA. that does makeovers. they also have a full array of clothes,wigs,forms,everything for a TG/CD.

Deidra Cowen
08-17-2007, 03:11 PM
We had a lady named Phoebe here in Atlanta that did makeovers. She was so super sweet and had everything from Wigs, makeup to cloths to perform the makeover. She was so busy you had to get an appointment a week or two in advance. But she moved and right now we have no one with an actual studio in Atlanta. But there is a GG that does it but she comes to your place mainly...but really just does makeup and wigs. Has no cloths which a new CD really might need.

Anyway I think it would be a great buisness...and am surprised more don't offer that service. Would be a great way to make a living for a Tgirl!!! But ya really would need like a home studio because I think paying rent would be a killer for a like a shop or store.

Also I have thought about it would take a bit of money to get enough wigs, makeup and cloths to open up. That probably stops many from trying.

DanaJ
08-17-2007, 06:12 PM
I've had pretty good luck in going to regular salons, and I have met some great gals and eventual good friends. I have a method I use which is pretty extensive, but has brought me good results in the past.

Chelseaswpa
08-17-2007, 07:41 PM
Bet one in SWV would go over really big!!! :D

Karren

Yes Karren you got that right:happy: I would love to have a place to to do that nearby. My cousin has a nice salon where I go to get my seven hairs cut and tan:heehee: but no way can ask to get a nice makeover- but going in there several times a week leads to much temptation :notworthy:

Rachel Morley
08-17-2007, 08:13 PM
To me, it's got to be one of the most un-tapped markets in the world. Having an accepting and participating GG help you dress, give you a full makeover, then show you how to be more feminine (deportment etc) is something most CDers would give their eye teeth for, and happily pay good money for too. I know I used to do it before I met my wife (I'm lucky because I get that but now it's free :happy: ).

I say go for it - if she really does like your dressing maybe she'd like to help other girls live their dream ....... and get paid for doing it!

sissystephanie
08-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Deidra,

Pheobe is stll here. She has a website, but I don't remember the address. Google Crossdresser Makeovers Atlanta and it will come up. BTW, you are gorgeous!
Sissy

Deidra Cowen
08-18-2007, 06:51 AM
Deidra,

Pheobe is stll here. She has a website, but I don't remember the address. Google Crossdresser Makeovers Atlanta and it will come up. BTW, you are gorgeous!
Sissy

Thanks sweetie for da compliment!

But Phoebe is not actually in buisness, her website has just been sitting there for a couple of years. Her buisness phone does not work, I know a few Tgirls that were close to Phoebe. They say she moved and has no room for a studio at this point. But she at some time wants to open back up. Which I hope she does. Tons and Tons of girls got their start or at least really got a lot of help from Phoebe. I still bascially wear the type makeup and style of wig she told me to go with to give you an idea of what she did for me. I try other things...but always come back to the look she told me to shoot for!

mysteryhorn57
08-18-2007, 11:22 AM
A previous response mentioned Carla's in San Jose. If you neice is really serious, she should talk to Carla about this kind of business. Carla is very knowlegable and supportive, even if a little more oriented to the "full transition" gurls. I pay a monthly fee to have a locker there, and can go and dress any time I want.
She could also talk to Jo-Ann from "I Love it Girl" in Fremont, or Eve Summers of "Adam to Eve" in San Francisco.

Reana
08-18-2007, 11:51 AM
http://www.vanitytransformations.com/modules/mypage/

Explore this site. This salon and the services provided make for an excellent model for just what is being discussed in this thread. If anyone should desire to hear my personal makeover experiences with the owner of this salon you are welcome to email me.

Angie G
08-18-2007, 02:50 PM
With some good marketing I think it would work :hugs:
Angie

Roxi Loh
08-18-2007, 04:56 PM
I have had a couple of transformations, I wouldn't really call them makeovers. The absolute best is Columbus Crossdresser Academy. Brandi is an artist with makeup and really professional. However, it is not like going to a salon makeover in price. She does it in her home and she is great. The nails are to die for. I would love to have a makeover in a TG friendly salon and go out that night. I would really like to do it in a department store with people walking by. Not sure I am up for that yet.

Alexandra
08-18-2007, 06:05 PM
I love in Fresno, And I think it would be awesome for a makeover Shoppe for in the Fresno Area!

Try to have the shoppe in the Tower District. It would be the best place.

Good Luck! And if you need any Employees, give me a PM!

kenasbarbie
08-19-2007, 12:09 AM
Toronto, Ontario Canada has 'Wildside' (http://www.wildside.org)

Sheri 4242
08-19-2007, 02:48 AM
The best make-over I've had was privately arranged before my wife and I renewed our wedding vows in Las Vegas -- with me as the bride. The chapel arranged it and utilized a man who is very well known in Vegas -- done all the big stars and many show cast members for 20-years, plus or minus.

As far as your niece goes, I agree with Rachel: what an untapped market!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It would be great to have a place to go to get all dressed up -- have a make-over -- even have the availability for a photo shoot if pre-arranged. And, maybe even a place just to relax for a few hours while en femme -- IOW, have the make-over, then have a place to relax, read, watch tv. Sign me up!!!!!!!

Michelle04240
08-19-2007, 07:30 AM
There are a few up my way, Austin's Angels and The Fantasy Girl, both offer makeovers, clothes, wigs, etc. I think it would be great to go, but soooooo much money.

DanaJ
08-19-2007, 08:13 AM
I hate to throw a cold bucket of water on everyone here, but I have seen these places come and go by the dozens. I can remember a time when a search would turn up at least 40 makeover/dressing/photo places for CDers, now hardly any. I think the reason is that the average CDer is going to do this only at most a couple of times per year (for $$$ reasons) and that is usually not enough to stay in business. Of course, if it is a side job and not the only source of income, it could work better I guess.

Unless all CDers come with their own clothes, cameras, makeup, etc I would think the startup costs would be pretty high - plus there is the renting of a store front, business licensing, advertising, etc.

In a free market economy, I think the reason you don't see more of these places is because they just don't turn a profit. Still, if you decide to do this, good luck to you :hugs: