PDA

View Full Version : "Tells"

Leah B
08-16-2007, 11:53 AM
At the risk of making everyone self conscious about their bodies, when you're looking to read a person, to tell if they're CD (or TS) what tell-tale signs do you look for? Which ones jump out at you?

Personally, I look for big hands/feet, or broad shoulders. Of course, these aren't very good, because plenty of people of both sexes have them, and it can be ahard to tell what's "big" sometimes. On the other hand, most other things can be surgeried, hormoned, or disguised away. An MtF could always have a tracheal shave for the adam's apple, or wear a padded panty for narrow hips, or have estrogen round out the angles. But there's nothing anyone can do about big hands and feet, other than make them irrelevant by nailing everything else.

joann07
08-16-2007, 12:48 PM
Thats a good question, but when I'm out and about, in femme or drab, I've got other things on my mind and so I'm not really looking to spot anyone, unless its obvious that they're purposely trying draw attention.
The best thing about me as a Cder is the blending in and the wonderful feeling I get when interacting with ordinary people. It feels great when I'm expressing myself and get treated just any other person, with respect and courtesy.

Even if I think I spotted someone, I'll just think to myself that she looks good. She's expressing herself and so I won't bother her because that's how she would want to be treated.

Hugs!

Kate Simmons
08-16-2007, 01:01 PM
Interesting question Leah, never gave it much thought really. It may sound strange but my first objective is not to "read" anyone when I meet them for the first time. While my brain may be obviously telling me what I'm seeing and hearing, my focus is on the person themself. From a social aspect I guess, I'm trying to figure out what type of person they are, how they relate to others and the like. While it may be apparant they are a CD, my first inclination is to be welcoming and friendly and if it is obvious that they are "new", I do my best to de-mystify the whole experience for them.
After that, I guess the other indicators kick in and I notice the physical stuff like you mentioned. I do my best to show my acceptance and appreciation of them as a person, regardless of how well I may determine that they "pass" or not. After all, we were all in that boat at one time when we first started, some of us still are but don't care about what people think and are not that self conscious any more.
I try to show by example that the important thing is to just be yourself and have fun and enjoy it. It doesn't always work but I do my best. I've met a lot of good friends that way. I guess what I'm saying is okay, yeah, I do notice the physical stuff but it's not that important to me, the person is.:happy:

JoAnnDallas
08-16-2007, 01:10 PM
I took this online test where part of it was where I was shown fem pictures and had to pickout the one that was masculain. It started out fairly easy to spot the masculian one, but as the series when on, it got harder and harder until the last series, I had no idea which one was masculian.
I don't remember the website or the name of the test. It was one of the online gender tests.
As for me, like others have said, I don't stop and look at all the people around when I am in a store. If I am in a hurry, more so. I have notice this on those times when I went out dressed. Most people around me did not pay much attention except mabey a casual glance or stare and once in a while a smile.

Marla S
08-16-2007, 01:12 PM
I haven't meat or walked by many MTFs (FTM is a different story).
Usually it's the head and hairs (or wig), not counting those that passed of course.
Broad shoulders or proportions of the upper part of the body respectively is second.
In doubt it's the hands.

There is one woman I see occasionally , I really can't tell whether she is GG or TS, but id doesn't matter anyway.

Sally2005
08-16-2007, 06:11 PM
I think it has got to be body language more than anything. I check out women all the time in an effort to become better at looking like them. GG's have lots of similar traits. Except, I guess a dead give away is beard shadow and male looking hair. Otherwise, I would say multiple givaways at the same time would do it.

Jodi
08-16-2007, 06:31 PM
I go along the same lines as Sally. Posture, mannerisms, and Body language. Another big giveaway that I have seen is a cheap, poorly styled, ill fitting wig. Another is overly done jewelry.

Jodi

Toyah
08-16-2007, 06:36 PM
It really depends
Hands and feet can be a give away so can an adams apple
I am lucky there
Shoulders and face shape are a hint but not a give away, I fail on both of those
I supose the biggest give away is the voice tho

RylieCD
08-16-2007, 07:03 PM
It is really hard to tell, I was on a recent buisness trip and went to the mall and I think I saw a couple of CD'ers. I should say that I like watching people and how they interact in public. The first just didn't seem to have the walk down just right but over all passed great. The second passed right infront of me and at first I thought I noticed a slight male feature in the face and then noticed larger hands. But she acted just like a woman, who knows both of thes may have been gg's.

I used to work with a GG that I would have sworn was a TS because of her large hands and feet. As for the two I seen in the mall, If I wasn't paying attention I probably would not have noticed. I actually was quite impressed.

Sally24
08-16-2007, 09:23 PM
I have to agree that mannerisms in general and "the walk" in particular give many gurls away. Any one body part that is out of the average is not bad. If you have 3 or 4 proportion problems than you are probably not going to blend in.

Sharon
08-16-2007, 09:33 PM
Voice....

....Voice....

....Voice....

Others:
....Voice, voice, voice....

It's my experience that the above is the surest way to make a "tell," beyond the obvious beard shadows, etc., which are more easily managed. As much as I improve in my appearance, until I am able to consistently and
unconsciously de-masculine-ize my voice, I don't have a prayer.

Jolene
08-16-2007, 11:37 PM
Using myself as an example I can't be someone I am not. Broad shoulders and big feet would be a couple of my givaways. Than there are days with my knees I am lucky to have a decent guy walk. But looking at a women, her curves catch my eye first. Nice full round hips. Than her walk ........... some women have such a sweet walk ... just can't describe it.

Some men can pull off passing quite well and I am all for them.

Jolene

KandisTX
08-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Ladies, I think we are all forgetting one of the most important ones. LEGS. That's right, the male legs are much more defined than the female, especially in the calf area. Many's the time women have told me "Bitch, you've got better legs than me". (These women of course are my friends, but most women do notice a woman with better legs then them).

Kandis:love:

sterling12
08-17-2007, 04:33 PM
I think that I am noticing a trend with a lot of our TS and Female Impersonator Sista's.

With lot of the one's who have Facial Feminization Surgery done, I notice a peculiar shape to their heads and faces. I believe that The Plastic Surgeon who is trying to get "The Classic heart shape," is doing something that makes things look very obvious.

Almost all the Gurl's that I've seen lately have this "lengthened," look to their face. It kind of looks very over sized and probably is related in part to chin and cheek implants. It reminds me of a medical disease called Acromegaly, which is a lengthening of all the bones in the body, often called "Gigantism." Think of people like the late Andre The Giant.....that's a classic example. Lengthening of the frontal facial bones is one of the key diagnostic signs.

Anyway, I am personally not a fan of the look, and it's kind of a dead giveaway for me. Other's would probably not even notice.....don't want to create a lot of paranoia here.

Peace and Love, Joanie

sobe1ove GG
08-18-2007, 05:56 PM
Usually, when I notice that someone is CDing or trans (which happens to happen a lot around here) it's usually by the way they are acting and the way their dressed.

They usually have fashion styles that regular women don't wear. Like panty hose for no reason. Or too young fashions. Or blazers, blech.
They also sort of act like drag queens. Like a stereotypes of a women as opposed to the real thing. It's a lot of flourishing and head waving. You don't usually see regular women act like this.

Frankly, and this is just opinion, a lot of CDers or trans folk do a terrible job at acting like the opposite sex. Then again, as some people have said, you don't know when you see someone who passes, because you just think they're a girl. I guess I'm saying the *bad* ones don't know what the hell they are doing.

Another way I can tell is usually because of the face. You can throw make up and a wig on, but if you have a dude's face, you have a dude's face. That ain't going away except with surgery. And it is fairly easy to tell if someone has had crazy facial surgery, so that is a tell as well. Unless you already have a girly face, good luck.

Sobe