PDA

View Full Version : Larry Wachowski...

jenni_xx
08-17-2007, 07:19 PM
...one half of the Wachowski "brothers" (writers/producers/directors of, among others, The Matrix trilogy, Bound, and (IMO) the wondeful V For Vendetta, is currently going through (or intending to embark upon) SRS.

As a side note, given the overtly masculine-driven premise of The Matrix trilogy, the male-driven eroticism of Bound (i.e. the female-form objectified in favour of the "male gaze"), the themes of these films are somewhat contrasting when one considers the overt sensitivity of V For Vendetta. But still, one would have to delve deep in order to explore any authorial insight into the mind of Larry Wachowski. A slight critisism on my part, but nevertheless this is a film that is certainly a step in the right direction.

Yet still, it makes me feel sick to the stomach when I think of the public reactions to his "transgenderism". When a figure such as Larry brings CD/TS/TV to public attention, such news is more often than not met with nothing short of derogatory astonishment.

How do you feel in respect of expressed public opinion towards Larry? For me, it highlights just how far we, as a group, have still to go before we are accepted within mainstream society. In this age whereby individuality is on one hand frowned upon, and yet (much more positively) on the other acceptance and diversity is to be encouraged, I really do feel as though we (transgendered folk) find ourselves in state of limbo. Just why is it that people are able to understand why and how minority groups (most notably in terms of race and sexuality) have a right to feel proud of who they are (and how society is seemingly becoming much more open and accepting of such groups), yet at the same time a "man in a dress" doing something as harmless as walking down the street minding his own business results in a widespread reaction that includes sniggers, incredulity, and even violence from other members of a society to which we equally belong?

AllieSF
08-17-2007, 07:30 PM
I saw the Larry King interview with 3 transgenders the other night. I thought that he did a good job in a neutral position of an interviewer. I have not heard nor read anything negative regarding this airing. Am I missing something or misread your post?

jenni_xx
08-17-2007, 07:43 PM
I have only been made aware of this tonight. Upon delving deeper (via google, and IMDB) into internet forums whereby members of the public have made their feelings known, the response is, by and large, pretty derogatory. It is this reaction that I am referring to when I say how upsetting I find such reaction to be.

AllieSF
08-17-2007, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the follow-up. I just hope they keep airing these type of interviews and specials. That really helps get the idea across. I am a great believer in the silent majority. Meaning that, only the more opinionated really take up a cause and write in or make a case out something like this. I just hope the networks ignore their protests and negative comments and keep airing these issues in a mature and professional/neutral way. Thanks again.

Julogden
08-17-2007, 08:00 PM
I just did a very quick Google on the subject, didn't come up with anything really too negative, but I'm sure she'll be in the news for a while and there will be good and bad.

Personally, I'm impressed with her bravery, coming out as TS when you're a celebrity is a huge gamble with your livelihood, obviously. I wish her the best, and pray that she comes through this with her family and friends behind her, and continues making her wonderful films with her brother.

Carol

KateSpade83
08-17-2007, 09:39 PM
Isn't this old news? I thought he SRS a long time ago or so... Does anyone have before & after pics of him?

helenr
08-18-2007, 01:02 AM
I missed that show, but have seen several on Maury and that horrible Springer person. Maury is a decent person and doesn't denigrate them, unlike the rabble rouser Jerry S. I truly believe that in terms of acceptance, a Springer 'guest' who is up on stage with two women he has impregnated is more acceptable than a transgendered person trying to get through life in a hostile environment--per the audience response and reactions. I am 60 and doubt we will be truly accepted in my lifetime. best to you all. hugs, helen

Deidra Cowen
08-18-2007, 07:04 AM
This caught my interest. I like some other girls did the quick and lazy google on him. Really most the news articles I saw were neutral or even accepting. I saw some board posts which were fine too and of course some negative ones.

But no matter what you post about ANY subject on the net you are going to get some trolling and flamers. Well really we don't have much here but this forum is moderated well and frankly is a rare friendly little place on da net. :heehee:

SusanMarie
08-18-2007, 05:14 PM
I second what Deidra says...espcially the part about this forum!