PDA

View Full Version : Family acceptance

Veronica 1
08-17-2007, 10:53 PM
Sorry if this is a little off the track, but I had a thought about SO's and family acceptance if you are brave enough to come out to them.

Scenario 1: SO freaks, family freaks - You are pretty good at keeping secrets.

Scenario 2: SO freaks, family accepts - You have known your family all your life, maybe they already knew and were polite enough not to mention it.

Scenario 2: Everyone is fine with it, honey, you have it made.

KandisTX
08-17-2007, 11:18 PM
There is another option you did not list.

SO says they accept, but in reality they cannot handle it, family is fine with it as they have known forever. (This was my situation with my First and Second wives).

SO is okay with it, but gets jealous when your femme half gets more attention in public than they do. (THis was wife #3)

SO has known since you met and now child knows as well all is good. (Current wife)

Kandis:love:

Veronica 1
08-18-2007, 01:13 AM
That is a very good point that I did not consider. I could not imagine the wife being jealous of dear hubby.

chucks
08-18-2007, 02:12 AM
what about the no SO option? :p

if i told my family, i think:
dad would be confused but more or less accepting
mom would be accepting and happy that i would show a little more of myself to her
sister, not too surprised.

lol

but i don't see coming out to them as a matter of being brave or not. it just seems like an irrelevant detail to me. something that could do a lot more harm than good. i am still the same person whether dressed or not, and i'm not looking to be treated differently. maybe that's just a rationalization to avoid the unknown though, because my relationships would almost definitely change in some way or another.

Chelseaswpa
08-18-2007, 09:30 AM
My SO knows, my Sister & Mother knows:happy:. I probably will not tell my brother tho, as he is kind of jagoff. It is a big decision to share that part of us tho- good luck with everything:hugs:

kendra o'riley
08-18-2007, 12:16 PM
I suppose it's a matter of roles for me - raised and (revered - yeah, they're like that) as the big brother, oldest son - I'm called on to be that. It's a role I cherish and has nothing I know, to really do with the clothes I'm wearing. But are these roles gender related at their core? I know that I'm neither male nor female at the very core of my being - but I'm here in this meat suit to fulfill some destinies... It would be nicer to do it in seams and heels, but would I be looked at by the people I love as Kendra or "my husband", my brother, my nephew, in a dress?

wondering...

Veronica 1
08-18-2007, 05:49 PM
I guess that it really all depends upon the persons that you come out to, how many clues that they have picked up from you in the past and their compassionate nature. You have known them all your life and surely someone must wonder, too. Some things, actions and mannerisms, come naturally and cannot be hidden from the receptive person.

kendra o'riley
08-19-2007, 12:54 AM
I guess that it really all depends upon the persons that you come out to, how many clues that they have picked up from you in the past and their compassionate nature. You have known them all your life and surely someone must wonder, too. Some things, actions and mannerisms, come naturally and cannot be hidden from the receptive person.

Good point. I'm not really sure how telling (if at all) my mannerisms are. I've been called "all boy" all my life. Sigh.

Zee
08-19-2007, 09:08 AM
I know exactly how my family would react, the trouble is I have so much family. I was adopted, but I know my biological family...

Adopted mom - Confused and could concieveably disown me
Adopted dad - If I am happy, he is happy
Adopted brother - Probably nothing, but might stay away for a while
Adopted Sister 1 - Cool with it
Adopted Sister 2 - Disown me
Biological Mother - Would be completely supportive
Biological Sister 1 - Disown me
Biological Sister 2 - Probably take me out shopping for hose and heels
Biological Brother - Confused but accepting (and will most likely make 1001 jokes about it)
Wife - already knows and is 100% supportive of my feelings
Son 1 & 2 - Too young really to know the difference, but they see me dressed from time to time... hope it doesn't mess em up.

In the final analysis, my personal thought is if it makes you happy, if your SO is OK with it, then damn the consequences and do what makes you happy. I have always listend to my heart; so far it hasn't been wrong. I would hate to not be able to speak with members of my family, but honestly, if they can not accept me for who I am, it really isn't my problem. Sounds rather selfish, but if they can not come to terms with who I really am, I am not going to waste time trying to convince them otherwise. They will need to come to that understanding on their own.

Enjoy your life while you can; have fun.

Veronica 1
08-19-2007, 10:44 AM
In the final analysis, my personal thought is if it makes you happy, if your SO is OK with it, then damn the consequences and do what makes you happy. I have always listend to my heart; so far it hasn't been wrong. I would hate to not be able to speak with members of my family, but honestly, if they can not accept me for who I am, it really isn't my problem. Sounds rather selfish, but if they can not come to terms with who I really am, I am not going to waste time trying to convince them otherwise. They will need to come to that understanding on their own.

Enjoy your life while you can; have fun.

Very well said.

kendra o'riley
08-19-2007, 01:49 PM
Very well said.
I'm not so sure how my SO would be with it... and I'm not so sure how I'd be with it. The fantasy is there - but what about the reality? It's one thing to want our SO to be "okay" with seeing the love of their life in lipstick and lace - it's another for them to celebrate every moment - (like we do now) Okay... so maybe I'm learning I have some conflicting thoughts going on... I admit I've been dreaming about nylons and heels for over forty years and only wearing them for 1...