PDA

View Full Version : Felt like sharing (my sons and I)

Zee
08-19-2007, 06:24 PM
My 2 sons, 8 and 6, have seen me wear womens clothing before, nylons, tights, camosols etc. But no skirts or blouses, actually nothing that a youngster at those ages would construe to be "girl" clothes.

Well today, I put on a skirt I have been dying to wear for a long time. I picked it up at Value Village (btw, probably the best spot for any CD'er to shop on a budget) and came "out" of my room, as it were.

The look my 8 year old gave me was priceless. A look of confusion, with a grin as if to say " I knew you were wierd dad, but that takes the cake.".

Well I just sat down with them both and explained that Dad likes to dress like Mom and that I have been doing it since I was a very little boy. I am still their dad, and will always treat them as my sons. If they ever have a problem with my dressing as a woman, I emplored them to please let me know right away. Just because people do things differently does not mean that they are wierd or terrible people.

My biggest fear is that they will need therapy later in life because their dad is a CD'er. They are prety well minded kids, so I don't think its very likely. For some reason, it did not feel like weight had been lifted off my shoulders, nor was I nervous about it at all. It was not really liberating either, so I do not know what that means.

We will see what comes of it. Tomorrow we are going to Edmonton (5 hour drive) and due to a thread on this forum, I figured I will go dressed in a skirt and tank top. My SO doesn't have an issue with it, but it will be interesting to see what happens. Besides, a skirt will be much cooler than shorts or pants.

Thanks for listening.

Hippy Chic's Chick
08-19-2007, 06:30 PM
Aww, that's lovely! :) I'm loving the look you described on your 8yo's face, it's one I see a lot in this house, lol.

I wouldn't worry about them needing therapy because dad's a cross dresser, being open and honest with them is by far the healthiest option. To be honest with you, I think if we could all teach our kids that labels are non-existent, to accept people for who they are and not what they are, there would be no need for therapy again!

Well done you on having such open minded kids and on having the courage to share this part of you with them. :)

xx

Zee
08-19-2007, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the compliment HCC...

And I do agree... its better to be honest and forthright to the people you love.:happy:

BarbaraTalbot
08-19-2007, 10:23 PM
..I have no intention of coming out to my kids, but I have to say it would be much more confusing I think if you waited, took chances and had them find later when they are more fragile. Yours are probably at a pretty ideal age to handle it. Not teenagers with there insecurities yet, but not so young that they cant understand.

teresa jeen
08-19-2007, 10:31 PM
i feel that 8 yrs. is a little too young for this dicussion. i wouldn't think of having a sex talk with them so why put the burden on them. your the adult, who has the options available. children have enough to deal with.

Zee
08-19-2007, 10:46 PM
i feel that 8 yrs. is a little too young for this dicussion. i wouldn't think of having a sex talk with them so why put the burden on them. your the adult, who has the options available. children have enough to deal with.

I agree... However, "sex" really wasn't spoken of. Both of my kids love to play dress up, we have dozens of costumes (thanks to 3 sets of grandparents) that they love to wear, Buzz Lightyear, Spider Man, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... During the "talk" they understood that just like them, I like to dress up too.

Billijo49504
08-19-2007, 11:05 PM
Then why not post a real picture of you!!!!

dakota_ann69
08-20-2007, 12:06 AM
My son 9 and my daughter 7 both know that Dad LOL paints his toenails, but that is as far as I have pursued the CD'ing for now. But I found that they were both very accepting of this.

Hippy Chic's Chick
08-20-2007, 05:13 AM

Kids are so much more accepting than adults, they simply haven't 'learned' yet what is normal and what isn't. Hiding from them that nothing is as it seems only means they get the shock later in life and find it harder to cope with.

My kids don't know about HC's cross-dressing (I'd have no problem, it's up to him whether or not they know) but they don't bat an eyelid at his painted nails or if he plays make-up with my daughter, and that's how it should be. Essentially, they'll grow up to be adults who accept people for who they are, not just those who appear to be as they should.

Cross-dressing is not a talk about sex, it's a talk about gender (although mine are well versed in the knowledge of sex and how everyone has a different sexuality). There's nothing wrong with letting kids know that clothes are a choice and some people choose to wear things that often associated with the opposite sex.

Kids really don't care, it's the adults who never had the chance to explore this sort of thing that are those who later in life have the problem. :)

Zee
08-22-2007, 01:29 AM
Then why not post a real picture of you!!!!

Honestly, I have never taken a picture of me dressed to the 9's .... Probably because I am 40 lbs over weight and was probably apprehensive about recording something along those lines...

That may change however, I'll do one special for here, but may be a bit as I have company over ATM.

Emma England
08-22-2007, 04:56 AM
If more parent cders dressed in front of the kids, children of the world may become more tolerant of this community.

Tobie
08-22-2007, 06:07 AM
I know this isn't my usual forum to post in, but I wanted to say.. I'm not sure, congrats? at having spoken to your kids. :D

TxKimberly
08-22-2007, 08:50 AM
My 18 year old knows but my 4 year old does not. She has busted me once but to a three year old the fact that poppa had a skirt on once does not mean poppa always wants to wear them. Besides, at that age she has probably already forgotten. My daughter is a girly girl ( I swear I didn't do it to her - she LIKES pretty dresses) and all she had to say was "Come on poppa, let's go wear a dress and twirl!"
But I am torn trying to decide when and if I should talk to her of keep trying to hide it until she is much older.
Can't decide . . .

Angie G
08-22-2007, 11:02 AM
It's cool to show yurs kids it's ok to be different then others I think they will be ok with it :hugs:
Angie

AmberTG
08-22-2007, 11:16 AM
My personal opinion is that younger kids have no notion of "right or wrong" in clothing. They know what they want to wear, but are much more accepting of others, especially if you teach them that it's not wrong. The other kids in school is what usually makes them more narrow minded as they grow up. If more people taught their kids that it's ok, then it would be ok. If religion would stay out of it, that would help. Religious views are usually the most narrow minded and damaging to a child's view of life. There's way too many "you can't do that, it's a sin!"