PDA

View Full Version : Buying from GG sales assistants

heathr1
08-21-2007, 01:16 PM
Do you find it easier or will you, like me, only have the courage to buy fem items from GG assistants and not men?

Also, I cannot buy fem items if there are men in the sopping queue.

Daphne Renee
08-21-2007, 01:20 PM
It really doesnt matter to me if they are male or female assistants. I will buy whatever I need to buy anyhow. The person helping you or ringing in your purchase is just there to do a job.

Toyah
08-21-2007, 01:23 PM
I prefere GGs but really dont mind guys serving at a till

Stephenie S
08-21-2007, 01:27 PM
I find that there is no real difference between the level of service I get between male or female SA. Male SA can be every bit as knowledgable about clothing and styles as female SA. Sometimes more. I would not restrict my shopping experience that way if I were you. If a male SA is working a department, he probably has just as much expertise as a female would in the same department.

Isn't this showing a bit of sexual descrimination dear? After all, we want to be accepted as who we are, don't we? Don't you think we owe a male SA the same respect we give to a female SA?

Lovies,
Stephenie

heathr1
08-21-2007, 01:30 PM
I didn't mean it in the way that men are not as good as their job as women, but I feel less nervous buying off a woman.

rachael devry
08-21-2007, 01:42 PM
i am just heading in that direction and getting braver with each. i have such a guilty look. it really bother me though. ill be heading out again this weekend.

Hermione Simpson
08-21-2007, 03:20 PM
it doesn't bother me what gender the sales assistant is when i buy female clothing, because when you've had a male serve you when buying a book about CD'ing while you're in drab, clothes shopping is a breeze

KandisTX
08-21-2007, 03:22 PM
Doesn't really matter to me. Male, Female.. they only want my money and don't really care what I'm buying with it. :)

Kandis:love:

Emma England
08-21-2007, 04:09 PM
The only sales assistants that I have seen have all been female.

I think it is unheard of for a guy to work in retail (unless they are in a warehouse section).

Amber CD
08-21-2007, 04:24 PM
Especially in the "big box" retailers! All the male sales assistants are back in sports or automotive, and that's fine with me.

Darlene-VA
I have not had a problem being served by either male or female SA

MsPriscilla
I'm with you, heathr. For me, while I can accept a gg seeing the cd in me, I cannot face the prospect of a man seeing it. Funny, but that is me.

angelfire
08-21-2007, 04:59 PM
I have bought from a male cashier before, and he was nice, not a bad experience at all. For me, it is hit or miss. If the guy looks friendly, I have no problems. If he looks really uptight, I might go to someone else. But at the same time I do the same when buying from GGs. Although I prefer to buy from older GGs rather than younger, they seem to be far more professional in my past experiences.

Deidra Cowen
08-21-2007, 06:21 PM
Believe it or not the only place I really run into a Male Associate is the MAC store at the Perimeter Mall here in Atlanta. Well...there is a guy at the cash register at the Goodwill Store I go to sometimes. Never had any problem with them.

BarbaraTalbot
08-21-2007, 06:57 PM
Do you find it easier or will you, like me, only have the courage to buy fem items from GG assistants and not men?Also, I cannot buy fem items if there are men in the shopping queue.

Dee and I went to a mall. My male side loathes malls (http://barbaratalbot.blogspot.com/2007/07/my-male-side-has-deep-seated-hatred-of.html). We walked into Dillards first. I got a bit glassy-eyed at the shoes....drool.....

Looking around I realized something I had forgotten about since I avoid malls like the plague. In my youth there were shoe sales persons, and they dashed to the back to bring out your size. I am used to looking through stacks of boxes myself to see if they have them in my size. Hmmm. I thought about what a story it would make if I could go the full service route. Fantasy collided with reality when I saw a very professional male sales associate. We kept walking right out of Dillards. I even found myself regressing to looking at shoes out of the corner of my eyes like how as a shy boy I would avert my eyes a little (but only a little) as I passed Victoria's Secret. (each time I repeatedly passed VS!!)

I felt like a wimp for doing that. I have shopped for women's active wear and even asked questions of a fellow shopper before, now I am not allowed to look??!! What the...

Truly sad these ingrained pavlovian reflexes. I even had my wife and infant as 'cover' NO ONE would have assumed just looking and not actually asking to see a size 9.5 that they were for me, but I couldn't I was paralyzed. Pathetic.

Isn't this showing a bit of sexual descrimination dear? After all, we want to be accepted as who we are, don't we? Don't you think we owe a male SA the same respect we give to a female SA?

Exactly right. I even thought this at the time and still my feet moved inexorably toward the door.

while I can accept a gg seeing the cd in me, I cannot face the prospect of a man seeing it.

I have bought from a male cashier before, and he was nice, not a bad experience at all.

We went to a Bookmans a great used book superstore. I had my wife and 5 kids in tow. I wanted to inquire about transgender titles, and also if they had any CD specific beauty books. I waited and hovered till I cut a GG associate out of the herd. She paused visibly, absorbing the unexpected request, then recovered and led me to an area she thought might help. She withdrew leaving me to browse. I didnt find what I was looking for and finally selected a GG make-up book, I assume most if not all such titles are GG oriented since they use it a bit more than the average bloke.

I actually was tempted to hide my beauty book under the pile that I took to the male cashier, again STUPID because I also had my wifes history and romance books, kids books, and a cd (music) for the teenager.

The cashier looked as male as they come more alternative rocker than say alternative emo. I had forgotten that I had painted nails for the whole week, they were translucent pink, but in the bright light of the store they revealed a shimmer.

He said, I really like the nails. NO irony, no sarcasm. floored me.

I really need to get over myself.

I prefer to buy from older GGs rather than younger, they seem to be far more professional in my past experiences.

Now see, another of my prejudices shows in this vein. I ALWAYS select the younger choice. (http://barbaratalbot.blogspot.com/2007/07/stepping-out-at-bodega.html) MY theory is they were raised during the Lewinsky mess and on the positive side many examples of any number of alt lifestyles portrayed positively and regularly. At least that's what I tell myself.

I worry there is more to it. Am I picking the cute one (http://barbaratalbot.blogspot.com/2007/07/fashion-outing.html), (bad reason) or am I picking the one that doesn't remind me of ~shudder!~ my mother (http://barbaratalbot.blogspot.com/2007/07/retail-therapy.html) (worse reason)

Rosaliy Lynne
08-21-2007, 07:10 PM
Do you find it easier or will you, like me, only have the courage to buy fem items from GG assistants and not men?

I have no problem buying what I buy from whomever. As far as I am concerned, whether I am en femme or en drab, the only thing of import to the sales person is that *I* pay for whatever it is.

As for other people, it is none of their business if I am buying for me or for someone else. Think of it as buying a gift for another person.

I was purchasing several items (about $12 worth to be exact) at my GoodWill clearance store where every item of adult apparral was $1 each. Two women behind me asked If I was one of those Cross Dressers. (ready for a surprise) I said, Yes In fact I am. We had a great time while I also flirted outrageously with both women. Outed myself and no one really cared.

tinadcd
08-21-2007, 07:15 PM
I'm with you, heathr. For me, while I can accept a gg seeing the cd in me, I cannot face the prospect of a man seeing it. Funny, but that is me.

I love having a gg know I am "dressed", I hate interacting with males in public.

Good embarassment / Bad embarassment

Now guys at the club, no sweat. Unless thay are hitting on me. I'm straight. But I have never had a bad experience either way!

Tina

Jodi
08-21-2007, 09:11 PM
It matters not to me whether it is a male or female, as long as they are professional

Think about this girls--I have said that I worked the floor as an SA for 3 years at both New York & Co and The Limited. I was dressed male and acted all male on the job. If you had shied away from me, you would have missed the opportunity to have one of our own serve you. You just never know.

Jodi

Anthea
08-21-2007, 09:12 PM
As with mose people here I have been served by both Male and Female Sales Assistants and so far most have been very professional and courtious. Once a GG SA called me sir and that lost her the sale.

Joni Beauman
08-21-2007, 09:31 PM
I'm afraid I lurk about waiting for no males in the queue and a female sales associate. Perhaps its one of the few bad experiences I have had en femme in a store. GGs have never said anything. Joni

Karren H
08-21-2007, 09:33 PM
Doesn't matter to me....

Karren

Veronica 1
08-21-2007, 09:48 PM
I prefer GG's. I may get a few strange looks, but I don't get the smirks and laughter that I envision from male SA. Just my paranoia, I guess.

sissystephanie
08-21-2007, 09:55 PM
Doesn't matter to me....

Karren

As usual, Karren is right. It doesn't matter! A sale is a sale.

Not too long ago, I felt I was wearing the wrong size feminine shoe. So I went into a Nordstrom's, which is an excellent place to get measured because their SA are very well trained. BTW, I was totally in drab. So I walked into the women's department, all male SA's. One of them walked up to me and asked if he could help. I told him I would like to be measured for female shoes. He looked at me with a grin, and asked, "why." I said, "because I like to wear them!" He just grinned again, and said, "O.K. let me get you measured and then I would like to show you some sandals that are on sale." Needless to say, I left there very happy with two new pair of sandals and a satisfied SA. BTW, I have been back and always look for him!

If an SA asks me who the purchases are for, I tell them. Doesn't make any difference if it's a male or female, or what I am buying. And since my finger nails are always painted pink, sometimes sparkly pink, I have recieved many compliments, from both males and female SA's. If they know their business at all they just want sales.

Sissy

More Girl than man sometimes

trannie T
08-21-2007, 10:26 PM
I prefer buying from women, but if the line is shorter I'll buy from a man. It really makes no difference it is just my personal preference.

bridget thronton
08-21-2007, 10:31 PM
I also prefer to buy from women SA's

KateSpade83
08-22-2007, 07:21 PM
I prefer women SA's. One thing I've never done was buy shoes from a Dept store shoe salesman because they are usually men! Yeah, you gotta try shoes on and thus be in drag - so hard to do!

SherriePall
08-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Jodi kind of beat me to it. I shop in women's stores and if I ever ran across a male SA, I would have to wonder if .... Therefore, I would not worry about his waiting on me.

Adrienne Heels
08-22-2007, 10:15 PM
I love shopping with female SAs but am extremely uncomfortable around male SAs.

Billijo49504
08-22-2007, 11:21 PM
WOW!!! I'm sorry to hear that. I was thinking of applying to Lane Bryant stores, in the area. They have a policy that you have to wear their clothes, just what I would like. Hmmm!...BJ

ta2
08-22-2007, 11:29 PM
I only bought things in stores 2 times Once makeup once a shirt and skirt I think both were GG Dont remeber I was buying becouse I need them and was looking at the floor most of the time

Exept December then I just say Im looking for a gift

so I guess I prefer a monitor

Billijo49504
08-23-2007, 12:55 AM
Gurls, Don't be affraid to buy things for yourself. Those stores are there to sell products. So most of them don't care, and the other half want to get you to open a charge account, so they can get the credit for a charge. Even if it doesn't go through...BJ
ps. I speak from experience.

wbwendy
08-23-2007, 06:36 AM
I would buy for either male or female SA, but I have had better experances with girl SA. The men seam little cold to me while the girls smile, giggel and talk a lot about the cloths and what would look nice on me.

Wendy

StephanieH
08-23-2007, 07:40 AM
Much easier for me if the sales person is a lady, but that's just me. :2c:

JoAnnDallas
08-23-2007, 08:49 AM
When I went shopping at Payless, They had 2 GG SA's and 1 GM SA. I got asked by the FM SA if I need any help. I told him No Thank You. One of the GG SA's commented on the slingbacks I bought, and the other GG SA rang up the order for me. All three treated me with respect and if any of them clocked me, they did not even raise an eyebrow.

Izabelle
08-23-2007, 09:25 AM
A couple of years ago my girlfriend told me she wanted clothes for xmas and for me to choose and buy them so it would still be a surprise.

She knows I crossdress (and therefore that I take in interest in female clothes...)

This led me to spend almost two months shopping on/off in most highstreet stores and as we are similar in size much of what I bought could also have fitted me. I stopped caring what anyone thought after the first couple of weeks browsing. :)

Angie G
08-23-2007, 09:38 AM
It don't matter if I wamt it I geting it man or woman SA line or no line You need to get overit and go SHOPPING hun :hugs:
Angie

Sheri 4242
08-23-2007, 10:56 AM
I prefere GGs but really dont mind guys serving at a till

Me, too! My preference is for a GG SA, but sometimes that isn't possible. Somebody said something about having a good experience in a woman's shoe department, which led me to think that in most department stores, the majority of SA's in the shoe departments are GM's. That said, I've had a couple of great GG's wait on me in shoe departments and for whatever reason I find them easier to interact with.

I guess that sums it up -- for some reason I don't mind if a GG has her suspicions, but do if dealing with a GM, which is stupid b/c they are there to make a sale and get into your wallet. Interestingly, I think any GM SA that I've found working at VS is odds on to be one of us. And, having said that, as accepting as MAC SA's are towards our community, one of two of "the VERY best experiences" I had at a MAC counter was with a GM SA.

Believe it or not the only place I really run into a Male Associate is the MAC store at the Perimeter Mall here in Atlanta.

Ah'hhh - Perimeter Mall! When I lived in your area of our state, it was my absolutely favorite mall!!! It was half the size of what it now is!

There is a MAC counter in a Georgia city that, shall I say, is between you and me, where I received the "other" of my very "best experiences ever" at a MAC counter. The SA was a GG -- and I was looking for something specific to blend with something else. Long story short, she asked what my wife's color tones were and, when she did, I had an unusual surge of courage and told her that while my wife loved MAC cosmetics, that this purchase was for me. Having said that, she said with tremendous enthusiasm, "that's great," and went to work helping me with zeal. She brought some liquid foundation over for me to look at and said she thought it was really my color. Then she asked if I minded if she put some on me to see. I'm thinking a small dab -- maybe a half dollar size at best -- so I say it is fine. Next thing you know she has applied it to my entire face and was ever so happy with herself and her ability to "get it right" for me. I was impressed, too. She was so'ooo cool -- and talented at what she was doing!!!

Gisele
08-23-2007, 11:23 AM
GG's I don't mind. Male SA's I steer clear of.

KimberlyS
08-23-2007, 11:43 AM
I like the GG's better. But I have been helped by both GG and GM SA's both while in female and male presentations. The GG's just seem more knowledgeable and more helpful.

Kristen Marie
08-23-2007, 11:55 AM
My preference is a GG Sales Associate. For me it's easier to strike up a conversation, chit chat about new fashions, etc. That's just me....

angelfire
08-23-2007, 05:08 PM
Now see, another of my prejudices shows in this vein. I ALWAYS select the younger choice. (http://barbaratalbot.blogspot.com/2007/07/stepping-out-at-bodega.html) MY theory is they were raised during the Lewinsky mess and on the positive side many examples of any number of alt lifestyles portrayed positively and regularly. At least that's what I tell myself.

I worry there is more to it. Am I picking the cute one (http://barbaratalbot.blogspot.com/2007/07/fashion-outing.html), (bad reason) or am I picking the one that doesn't remind me of ~shudder!~ my mother (http://barbaratalbot.blogspot.com/2007/07/retail-therapy.html) (worse reason)

The reason I usually don't go for the GGs my age is because if they are cute, I get embarassed. The reason I don't choose guys I guess is because I think they will think I'm less masculine (no idea why I care so much). Now, with older GGs, they generally aren't my type, so I don't have to worry about feelings for them. Plus if they are over a certain age, chances are they have been working in retail all their lives, and may very well be there for a lot longer, and so they know how to handle these things (usually by just being polite but not inquisitive.) Those are my main reasons, anyway.

Albtraum
10-03-2007, 01:32 AM
I suppose since most SA's are GG's I have gotten used to it. Really, most of the time I say, "Thank you, I'm just browsing."

Of course when I can't find what I want, I can't find a SA either!

karynspanties
10-03-2007, 05:21 AM
It'a all mind over matter.....if you don't mind....it don't matter.

Angela Burke
10-03-2007, 05:34 AM
I used to find this a problem when I was younger,
but one of the benifits I've found in growing older
is that I don't get embarrased about anything
anymore really.
It's great for family and social gatherings (you may
note I differentiate between the two), I can make
a total fool if myself i.e. all singing, all dancing not
giving a toss. So I'm certainly not going to worry
about a sales assistants opinion and neither should you.

Sally2005
10-03-2007, 09:05 AM
I used to wait for a short line at the till and look for a friendly cashier, but once you get over the fear it doesn't matter any more. The advantage with a male cashier is that they probably won't make silly comments like "this is nice or this will look good on you"... Otherwise it is all the same.

To help my fear, I've taken the attitude that it just doesn't matter and I'm ready with a canned answer to any comment, "ah, that's very funny" just to keep the ones that have it all figured out still wondering.

shauna 9
10-03-2007, 09:11 AM
Doesn't matter to me.

Cheery GG
10-03-2007, 09:36 AM
The only sales assistants that I have seen have all been female.

I think it is unheard of for a guy to work in retail (unless they are in a warehouse section).

what part of england do you live in ?????

I work for a large retail supermarket in England and i work on the checkouts, and i have served many many men purchasing all sorts of lingerie os the like....i never bat an eyelid.....some men do make comments like....'dont worry theyre not for me'.....and i just smile and say something like...'size ten wouldnt fit you darling!' It usually creates a giggle....i dont think it should be taken too seriously...there are hundreds of reasons why men buy certain items of clothing.....and us female cashiers certainly dont have the time or the inclination to sit and ponder over them.....

em
x

Daintre
10-03-2007, 09:47 AM
I certainly have no problem with sales associates what ever gender. All I look for is a pleasant, knowledgeable person willing to spend the time that I require.

Victoria Anne
10-03-2007, 10:08 AM
It really does not matter though since I have decided that I will no longer be ashamed of who I am I cant wait for that question were I can respond its for me !

Emma England
10-03-2007, 11:39 AM
what part of england do you live in ?????

I work for a large retail supermarket in England and i work on the checkouts, and i have served many many men purchasing all sorts of lingerie os the like....i never bat an eyelid.....some men do make comments like....'dont worry theyre not for me'.....and i just smile and say something like...'size ten wouldnt fit you darling!' It usually creates a giggle....i dont think it should be taken too seriously...there are hundreds of reasons why men buy certain items of clothing.....and us female cashiers certainly dont have the time or the inclination to sit and ponder over them.....

em
x

I live in Devon.

There are only two reasons why men buy for themselves - either for themselves or for someone else.

I suppose the only things that a man would fit a size ten would be shoes!

jaina
10-03-2007, 11:54 AM

I think I've got 4-5 bad looks from from clerks in stores over the years. 3 were from women, so it really doesn't matter.

JennyTVPerth
10-05-2007, 06:09 AM
Yes, I have this problem too ....

I'm quite comfortable buying feminine clothes or underwear, even if it's fairly obvious that the items are for myself (holding a skirt up against yourself while looking into a mirror is a bit of a give-away).

But, if there's at least one guy around, then I get all embarrassed and move back into the menswear department and pretend that I was just passing through .....

Wendy me
10-05-2007, 07:13 AM
i have no trouble as to the gender of the person ringing up my things .... after all who cares??? and most places i shop i go in and poke around looking until i find what i am looking for .... hey this whole thing is abought having some fun .....so get out and have some fun ...... from sexy fem. undies to your "HIM" work things it's all clothing and who cares what you buy ???? ..... go now out you go .... get shopping and have some fun......

Jilmac
10-05-2007, 09:11 PM

i buy from whoever is available at the register. usually if i'm in the ladies or lingerie dept, there will be a female sa working there anyway. i have had some who hinted that they suspected i was a cd. one time when i was at kohls i brought several bra and panty sets to the register. the cashier looked at me and said, " i'll bet you'll look gorgeous in those" i looked her in the eye and asked "would you like me to model any of them for you?" we both had a good laugh. when i got home and tried them on, i knew she was right.

ps try not to be so uptight, most sa's don't care who you're buying for.

StephanieD
10-07-2007, 11:53 PM
The best are at Victoria's Secret. Quick (usually), helpful (most of the time), energetic. Usually they are well dressed. I wonder what is underneath!

rustynail
10-08-2007, 04:17 AM
I prefer a female sales assisitant; I feel too self-conscious with a male. Only once did an elderly SA ask "is it for you?" and like a fool i denied it! I suppose i am always hoping that a gorgeous female will ask, i shall say yes and she will want to know more. Happy dreams!

Claire3
10-08-2007, 05:11 AM
Guess its a case of whatever,however i do find the female cashiers do respond to my purchases,ie thats really nice and feminine,im sure shell love that.I do

sunnybunns
10-08-2007, 05:25 AM
I prefer females. After the giggles stop they really helpfull finding the right size. But i've ony had one male S.A. so this may not be fare. I don't run into many guys working in the womens sections.

Christine Andrews
10-08-2007, 09:45 AM
I have to admit that I will not be served by a male store assistant for most fem items. If there is no alternative I will simply shop elsewhere or come back another day. I know its more than just a little bit hypocritical but I just don't feel comfortable or confident with a male shop assistant - it's nothing personal to the shop assistant it's just me.

When it comes to queuing up, it's not whether there are men in the queue it's the length of the queue and where the men are in relation to me. I will shop if men are in the queue bu if it is a long queue I'll tend to hesitate and come back later when it is less busy.

For me it's self-confidence which is the cause of it and in time I'm sure I'll change but for now I definitely have a preference for being served by GG's - a comment from a GG makes me a little uncomfortable yet a little bolder at the same time (and relieves my tension in a way) but such a comment from a male assistant would leave me feeling more embarassed and nevrous.

I know that store assistants aren't bothered what people buy as long as it is paid foir but I still cannot shake the nervous and anxious feelings I get when shopping.:(

Regards
Kirtsy Hall