PDA

View Full Version : Some movies ok, some not?

KimberlyS
08-22-2007, 04:25 PM
In the past few years my wonderful wife in her wisdom, has begun asking our kids what they think of CDers when they are in movies that they are watching. My son has been mostly quiet, indifferent to unsure about it. My daughter has mostly said that she did not like it but could not say why.

Then out comes the movie Hairspray and my daughter has to see it. My wife asks my daughter that if she knows who the Mom it. It is John Travolta she says. We also got the older version of Hairspray and the movie She's the Man picked out by my daughter and watched them as a family. My daughter said that they were ok, but the newer Hairspray is better.

So it will be interesting to see where this goes in the future.

BTW our kids have not been told of my femme presentation, but I am sure they know something. Kids are usually smarter than we think they are.

Has anyone else got similar or different comments from their kids.

Hippy Chic
08-24-2007, 11:06 AM
Not specifically about CDing, although when I was getting divorced, 8 years ago now, I did get a copy of "Mrs Doubtfire" for my kids who were 6 & 9 at the time. Really wanted them to 'get' Daddy still loves you, particularly my daughter who was the 6yo. Seemed to take the whole man in a dress aspect of the movie completely in their stride & didn't bat an eyelid.

In terms of sheer entertainment though, for movies with cross dressing theme, still don't think you can top "Some like it hot"

WendyCD
08-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Great Movie - Tony Curtis managed to get that part right. For a movie that deals with trans themes I recently saw "Ma Vie en Rose" ("My Life In Pink") . Belgium - subtitled. Extraordinary. There is a web site - if you google the title you'll find it.

WendyCD

SherriePall
08-24-2007, 12:21 PM
Some might be okay because of their strictly entertainment value (no messages about CDing) and some might be okay because it's FtM ("She's the Man"). It seems to be okay for movies like "Yentl", but not okay for MtF serious CDing movies. Go figure.

KimberlyS
08-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Thank you Hippy Chic and Wendy for your comments. My wife and I have seen "Some like it hot" and we both liked it. My kids have seen "Mrs Doubtfire" and that was one of them my daughter was unsure on how she felt about Mrs Doubtfire/CDer. We have not seen "Ma Vie en Rose" yet.

KimberlyS
08-24-2007, 01:22 PM
Thank you for your response Sherrie. I was wondering also if it was also some where along the lines of actors she knew of or friends wanting to or had gone to it.

Fab Karen
08-24-2007, 02:56 PM
Maybe notable that she likes the new reworked Hairspray better. Travolta isn't doing drag, he wears a body suit & mask somewhat like Robin Williams in Mrs. Doubtfire.

KandisTX
08-25-2007, 03:29 AM
There are actually quite a few movies out there that address the transgendered lifestyles.

Of course we all know about To Wong Foo, The Bird Cage, & Priscilla Queen of the desert (drag queens), While those three are predominantly drag films, they do all focus on the aspect of being outed and the many differant reactions we are likely to receive.

There was a movie I saw many years ago called "Just Like A Woman" that I wish I could find a copy of now. It was very well done, and it covered the aspect of being rebuffed by his wife, purging, and then acceptance by another GG.

Of course there are other movies where the star is crossdressed for another role in the movie (Arsenio Hall in Coming To America, Kurt Russel in Tango and Cash, Sylvester Stallone in one of his very early movies).

Kandis:love:

Sheri 4242
08-25-2007, 04:34 AM
There is often a blurring of genderism in the movies. This was NOT the case in Ed Wood (Jonny Depp stars as the real-life director Edward Wood, Jr., often called the worst director ever) which is pretty straight-forward about being a matter-of-fact CDer. In his own lifetime, Edward Wood tried to address CDing in Glen or Glenda, which is, in part, about a mtf crossdresser trying to tell his fiance about his crossdressing needs; the movie also deals with SRS -- so it basically covers two gender-related topics.

To Wong Foo is about drag queens, and The Birdcage has an element that deals with drag queens -- it is a comedy about the gay owner of a nightclub and his drag queen lover/mate, and about the former's straight son (the product of his one heterosexual experience) who is going to marry a GG, who is the daughter of a moralist U.S. Senator (Gene Hackman -- who ends up crossdrssing in the movie to escape "the media" trying to avoid scandal). Whew! The Birdcage is a remake of La Cage aux Folles, and, IMO is much, much better than the original.

Connie and Carla is about drag queens -- well sort of. It is sort of Victor/Victoria meets Thelma and Louise. If you like show tunes, you should love Connie and Carla! If you like Julie Andrews, you'll love Victor/Victoria which deals with a woman playing a man playing a woman to survive.

I look at Mrs. Doubtfire in the same light as I do the movie Tootsie -- a heterosexual man attempting to accomplish something through crossdressing. I can find copies of Just Like a Woman, but none formatted for U.S. VHS/DVD players (yet).

Whoever said that movies like Yentl (and I'll add Connie and Carla) seem to receive more acceptance b/c they deal with, in the former, ftm, and in the latter, a convoluted story of women dressing as men dressing as women theme, seems to point out an important attitudinal aspect of society.