PDA

View Full Version : Nordstrom Shoe Sales - All Males Why?

Jamie001
08-23-2007, 11:57 AM
Why are the sales assistants in the women's shoe department at Nordstroms always male? This doesn't really make any sense to me. It seems that female SA's would be better qualified to sell women's shoes since they actually wear them. Does Nordstrom go "out of their way" to hire male sales associates for the women's shoe department? I have only seen one female SA in all of the Nordstroms that I have been in. Does this make sense to anyone?

Maybe if these males are going to sell women's shoes, then they should be required to wear them in order to get familiar with the styles and comfort or lack of comfort.

I also believe that male nail techs should wear nail polish on their toes just like female nail techs. After all, there is an old saying that "you should eat your own dogfood". This means that if you are selling it, then it should be good enough for you to wear or use.

Jamie :2c:

Leah B
08-23-2007, 12:09 PM
Wow, I can see the line of trannies desperate for a job at the shoe store an nail salon. I'd be the first in line: "No, man, I HAVE to wear this polish. Company policy!"

sissystephanie
08-23-2007, 12:34 PM
Why are the sales assistants in the women's shoe department at Nordstroms always male? This doesn't really make any sense to me. It seems that female SA's would be better qualified to sell women's shoes since they actually wear them. Does Nordstrom go "out of their way" to hire male sales associates for the women's shoe department? I have only seen one female SA in all of the Nordstroms that I have been in. Does this make sense to anyone?

Maybe if these males are going to sell women's shoes, then they should be required to wear them in order to get familiar with the styles and comfort or lack of comfort.

I also believe that male nail techs should wear nail polish on their toes just like female nail techs. After all, there is an old saying that "you should eat your own dogfood". This means that if you are selling it, then it should be good enough for you to wear or use.

Jamie :2c:

Jamie, Having kind of grown up with Nordstrom's out in the Pacific Northwest, I think I can answer your question somewhat.

Nordstrom's started as a shoe store back when you rarely saw a woman clerk in any shoe store. I imagine the reason why they have mostly male clerks is simply that more men apply. Women apparently don't like handling feet, sometimes smelly ones! BTW, their training program is envied by almost every other shoe department. In other words, the SA's in a Nordstrom's shoe department really know their stuff. That is where I got properly fitted for ladies shoes, after wasting a lot of money in other stores buying recommended shoes that were not comfortable to wear for long times. Now I know what I can. and cannot, wear for comfort as well as looks.

Your statement about them wearing women's shoes to sell them is a good idea, but I don't think it would fly with the union! However, I do know that many of the clerks I have talked to over ther years have tried on, and walked in, female shoes so they could better be able to tell women how they felt. That is a sign of a very dedicated sales person. Know Your Product! BTW, I am a sales person, Insurance!

Sissy

More Girl than man sometimes

Kate Simmons
08-23-2007, 12:48 PM
Years ago before they had all the fancy malls and such, all the shoe stores had male assistants Jamie. There simply weren't any women assistants to be found. Maybe they just can't find any.:happy:

Val702
08-23-2007, 02:58 PM
I did a job like that once. The ladies and the pretend ladies loved my attention and advice!

dakota_ann69
08-23-2007, 03:08 PM
Wow great question I would tend to agree with Stephanie and Salandra on the before mall era and males.

I had a good friend back when I worked at an arcade in the mall who was a shoe salesman and very good at his job, I often wondered if he had a thing for women's shoes......maybe even a CD. He was very successful.

Too bad our ways have parted and I know longer know where he is, I would love to broach the subject of cd'ing with him..............sigh.

DonnaT
08-23-2007, 03:39 PM
Seems to be that way here as well.

However, Nordstromes seems to be trans friendly.

Do you feel uncomfortable exposing your desire for women's shoes to a man? Note that there are shoe stores that let you do for yourself, which are cheaper.

Deidra Cowen
08-23-2007, 05:56 PM
I see about 50/50 male and female sales associates over in the ladies shoe dept at Nordstroms at the Atlanta Perimeter Mall. I personally never bought a pair there since they are so freaking expensive compared to good old cheap Payless!

But I do find the people at Nordstrums to be nice and trans friendly the few times I have shopped in their ladies clothing dept. But frankly I am more a Bloomingdales and Macys type of girl! :tongueout

Jodi
08-23-2007, 06:47 PM
At the Ninewest store where I have shopped, the manager told me that it is company policy that the SA's have to try on every pair of shoes that they get in for sale, so they will know the fit and comfort.

I asked her with a smile--What if I were working here. Her response, with a smile, was--you would have to try them on. It's company policy.

Jodi

BarbaraTalbot
08-23-2007, 07:04 PM
wonder if they are hiring...Fantasy thread (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=979123&postcount=21)

KateSpade83
08-23-2007, 07:08 PM
Actually, I think I've only seen male shoe salemen at the Dept stores I go too. That why I've never bought womens shoes in drag from Dept stores!

Jamie001
08-23-2007, 07:11 PM
I know what you mean. I just can't imagine a guy being all that helpful if he is wearing clod-hopper wingtips and has never worn a pump or high-heel shoe in his life.

Actually, I think I've only seen male shoe salemen at the Dept stores I go too. That why I've never bought womens shoes in drag from Dept stores!

sterling12
08-23-2007, 08:16 PM
I don't know how it is these days, but it used to be that the highest commissions were paid to people in Ladies shoes, Children's Shoes, and in the Men's Clothing Department.

Ergo, in most Department Stores, before they were worried about how many boys and girl's they employed, and where....The guys gravitated into those area's where they could make the most money. That's why it was almost exclusively guys working in The Men's Suits Section. Very high commissions, without a lot of hassle.

So, it may be a holdover from previous times. I have also heard it "claimed," that a fair number of guys who work in Ladies Shoe Stores do so because it's an avocation and a vocation. Never saw any proof of that, perhaps just an Urban Legend. (Don't jump on me for being prejudiced, I just pass along a story that I've heard for years.)

My Mom worked in The Children's Shoes Department. (She was an exception on the sex rule of the times,) said it was hard work, stooping and bending all the time, smelly feet, plus she got the added benefit of being kicked a lot!

Peace and Love, Joanie

Kris
08-23-2007, 10:47 PM
One of my best friends works at Nordstroms and I can tell you that they get more commission than any other department. Men WANT to work in the shoe department... so they can make the big bucks.
My friend is always jealous of the shoe salesmen's wives because they are always going on vacation someplace and have huge wedding rocks on their fingers.
If I was gonna work there, I would want to be where I would make the most money.

Kris GG

Melinda G
08-23-2007, 11:16 PM
I'm trying to picture Al Bundy in some little strappy sandals.:D:D:D