PDA

View Full Version : TG 'in community'

Calliope
08-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Well, here I am, in Twin Oaks, the longest-lived, most successful commune (intentional community) in the world. Hippies, do-gooders, queers, punks - of all ages. I've 'signed on' as me, MtFt?, exceedingly pink, fem pronoun but none of the shaving-plucking-makeup jazz. So far, so good. The last MtF here was considered a pain but I seem to be fitting in fine. (Do wish the kitchen crew would stop playing Hedwig so often though.) Very rural, lovely pond, cows, country roads, tofu & hammock production, about 80 folks. Internet access, so I will stay in touch. I taught my oldest daughter chess before I left California; she has been writing me, which is very nice. I feel very liberated. More in the future.

Paula G
08-25-2007, 07:50 PM
It's nice to see you back on the forum. Have long missed your insightful wisdom. It sounds like you finally have some peace & happiness in your life. Hope this works out for you.

Kate Simmons
08-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Cool beans Hon. Glad to see things are working out. I'm trying to ease out of the 'ment in my own little way here. God, the system seems determined to want to pull you back in when you get a little freedom. I'm happy for you Calliope.:hugs:

lynn27
08-26-2007, 08:53 AM
sounds like a great place. are you in the three week visit or beyond that?

I've read the descriptions on-line. tell me thing that aren't there. Do you have your own room or is this dormitory style? What type of work are you doing? I'm into wood and woodworking, does the sawmill run full-time?
Well, here I am, in Twin Oaks, the longest-lived, most successful commune (intentional community) in the world. Hippies, do-gooders, queers, punks - of all ages. I've 'signed on' as me, MtFt?, exceedingly pink, fem pronoun but none of the shaving-plucking-makeup jazz. So far, so good. The last MtF here was considered a pain but I seem to be fitting in fine. (Do wish the kitchen crew would stop playing Hedwig so often though.) Very rural, lovely pond, cows, country roads, tofu & hammock production, about 80 folks. Internet access, so I will stay in touch. I taught my oldest daughter chess before I left California; she has been writing me, which is very nice. I feel very liberated. More in the future.

Calliope
08-26-2007, 09:30 AM
Lynn,

I'm still 3-week ... but I was accepted back in '98 so I "know the ropes" plus many of the same faces are here and recall me. Just did my member interview, which went swell. So I am very optimistic. I'm settling into the kitchen-food process-garden areas. "Pink collar" forever. Let's see, to answer your queries ... every one gets their own bedroom, each SLG (house containing 15 or so folks) has its own kitchen. Communal laundry, computers, etc. The emphasis used to be hammocks but Pier One dropped the contract a few years back, now regional tofu production has taken center stage. It's still a pretty high standard of living - if ya can get on with various communards. There's a lot less romance drama than I remember in '98, that's cool by me for sure! If ya have more specific questions, drop a PM.

Wishing well to all on this lovely forum!

SarahAnn
08-26-2007, 08:30 PM
Well hope it works out for you. rather you than me in a commune I know I wouldnt be able to hack it there. You can keep us all posted as to what you feel over the comming months I think winter will be the ultimate test of life there.

Good luck

Sarah.