PDA

View Full Version : How real are these types of posts found on the net?

RachelX
08-25-2007, 08:29 PM
I found this post on parentcentre entitled My son wants to dress as a girl. I enjoy reading such threads but I wonder how many of the authors and contributers are indeed the moms they say they are. I realize there will always be some phonies, but how many are legit. I feel some truly are. What do you think?

http://www.parentscentre.gov.uk/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=130&threadid=25550&STARTPAGE=1

Holly
08-25-2007, 08:33 PM
I think it would be nice to know a little bit about YOU.:D

raleighbelle
08-25-2007, 09:02 PM
Hi Rachel,

I read the first page of that thread, and the responses, and must say I was very impressed with the advice that the mum was given. A much more enlightened forum than I would have expected, especially since it is not a crossdressers or transexual forum but a general parenting forum.

To give my thoughts on your question as to if the people posting are real, I really believe they are. I can't imagine why any of those people would have made any of that up. All of what was said seemed like very legitimate views.

I wish I had had the kind of support that child has and had been able to do something with it then.

Sweet Jane
08-25-2007, 09:08 PM
...maybe my Mum would have written such a letter to a web based forum if I had grown up in these far more enlightened times. It does sound a little like my childhood, but we never had the benefit of a social networking group to give some advice. Who knows where life would have led???????.......

sterling12
08-25-2007, 11:17 PM
You wanted to know how many are legit? IMHO, probably the minority. Even with anonymity, I think most Mothers would not want to make public what they would view as very personal, family problem. Most folks prefer to keep their family problems out of the public's view. Where I come from in The Midwest, there's an old middle-class rule about "not putting your family's business out in the street." We have had some similar Threads on this site that really make me doubt their reality.

Here's one dead giveaway, any descriptions of outfits other than the most fundamental of descriptions. Mom is not going to be talking about the "sheerness," of Jr's Undies and other assorted claptrap. That stuff belongs on The Fiction Sites.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Kris
08-25-2007, 11:33 PM
Even with anonymity, I think most Mothers would not want to make public what they would view as very personal, family problem. Most folks prefer to keep their family problems out of the public's view. Where I come from in The Midwest, there's an old middle-class rule about "not putting your family's business out in the street."

Here's one dead giveaway, any descriptions of outfits other than the most fundamental of descriptions. Mom is not going to be talking about the "sheerness," of Jr's Undies and other assorted claptrap. That stuff belongs on The Fiction Sites.

Peace and Love, Joanie

I can't get the page to open with the threat on it that you are talking about but I am surprised that you would view cd'ing as a family problem. I have a 21 year old son who is a cd'er and I did have to battle his dad, about if I was turning him GAY because I didn't stop him... but I never viewed it as a problem now or then. I now have an 8 year old son who loves to get in his sisters clothes, and I think it's a normal natural part of exploring yourself.

My sons both love soft silky things... and I would have posted that .. if I had any questioning of it. I have had two people in the chat room talk about there being red flags because my kids like girls clothes........ and I still don't understand them. They themselves are CD'ers and they are judging my parenting and kids? I have issues with that........... but I regress .. You never know what is real and what isn't on the web.. I am impressed that someone would write about it and ask others advice. I view that as a positive thing, and maybe our culture will change the mainstream views.

Kris GG:2c:

Sheri 4242
08-26-2007, 12:01 AM
Well, I'm not familiar with that site, so, without knowing more about it (like from personal experience), it is difficult to say about legitimacy. I've seen a few quetions about a child CDing from a parent on WebMD that I thought were legit. I think you have to be familiar with a site, and I believe from there you have to use common sense as to whether something is legit or not.

EDIT: Additional comment: Joanie is right: you've got to look for clues in what's being said. There was one mother questioning a pediatrician on WebMD about her son wearing his sisters panties. I think it was legit -- based on tone, etc. If, though, the question had gone into "lace and sheerness" and not centered on an expected sense of concern, I might have come away with a different perspective.

Phyliss
08-26-2007, 03:24 AM
I think you have to be familiar with a site, and I believe from there you have to use common sense as to whether something is legit or not.

EDIT: Additional comment: Joanie is right: you've got to look for clues in what's being said. There was one mother questioning a pediatrician on WebMD about her son wearing his sisters panties. I think it was legit -- based on tone, etc. If, though, the question had gone into "lace and sheerness" and not centered on an expected sense of concern, I might have come away with a different perspective.

A site such as WebMD has to be careful about the type of questions it publishes. I would guess that not all questions it receives are posted. What I would think is, that given a particular subject. a generic question is formed and an answer is given that would cover most all aspects of the many related questions on that subject.
"The panty question" was most likely "distilled" from a serties of similar questions and an editorial board framed the question to avoid the "lacey" part.
Just my :2c:

Sheri 4242
08-28-2007, 01:23 AM
A site such as WebMD has to be careful about the type of questions it publishes . . . "The panty question" was most likely "distilled" from a serties of similar questions and an editorial board framed the question to avoid the "lacey" part.
Just my :2c:

You are probably right Phyliss. As an aside, in the case I am talking about I was very impressed by the quality of the peditrician's answer -- and with the posts that many parents -- mostly moms -- made. I took it from the parent's posts that many had experienced this with their children. And, the general consensus followed the current medical literature, in re accomodation and acceptance is the way to go. That was refreshing!!!

JoAnnDallas
08-28-2007, 09:09 AM
The one thing that struck while browsed the site and the responses, is not one was negitive. Almost everyone that responded said crossdressing was not a BAD thing. The only post I found that came close was the one post where the mom was trying to relate to the first mom. Even then it was not negitive. Not sure about how valid the site or the postings were, but if it is valid, it does show that more and more crossdressing is being look at in a better light than it has in the past.

angelfire
08-28-2007, 11:23 AM
I didn't read the replies, but the initial post seemed legit.

I can see why everyone would support being accepting. I mean, it is your child, and most good parents love their children regardless of their gender identity, or sexuality. Obviously, when this kind of becomes known to the family, it can cause a little shock, but I don't think most parents would stop loving their own flesh & blood because of something like that.

KarenSusan
08-28-2007, 11:38 AM
The one thing that struck while browsed the site and the responses, is not one was negitive. Almost everyone that responded said crossdressing was not a BAD thing

Yes, on the basis of that, I found the site suspect.

DonnaT
08-28-2007, 07:33 PM
We've had moms post here, and I've seen them on other forums. They all seemed genuine, and I've never questioned them.

And there really is no need to question whether the mom is legit. The idea is to give an honest opinion to their question. If they aren't legit, no big deal, as there may really be a mom looking for answers and reading but not posting.

Honest answers are honest answers, no matter who asked the question.

Joy Carter
08-28-2007, 07:50 PM
I've read several forums of this nature, and I get the idea that the more younger mom's, don't have a problem with it.
Myself if I were faced with this in my son, I'd allow it. Because I know the guilt and self loathing I felt, not having the courage to come out to my mom. She knew, and made subtle comments, but I just couldn't admit my feelings about myself to her.

Ibuki_Warpetal
08-28-2007, 07:57 PM
To me that seems moot. I'd be MUCH more concerned with and interested in the replies, as they are most likely honest.

---
By the way, the mother does not seem accepting to me.

"I would be mortified if the neighbours saw him like this."
"I guess my son is a cross dresser. ... I find it very hard to accept him like this. He is a boy and not a girl. It seems so unnatural."

Satrana
08-29-2007, 03:16 AM
The replies look genuine to me. It would be exactly the same replies I would expect if the subject was "I think my son is gay". Providing unconditional love to your children if pretty much a given these days. I would expect most modern parents living in liberal societies to answer the same way.

This is good news to the CD community. It means the next generations of CDs will be far more confident and outgoing, will reveal their CDing in relationships, and will stick up for the right to be a CD and not believe others who say it is not normal for men to want to feel feminine.

Now I am feeling jealous. I was born a few decades too early. I blame my parents for that:D