PDA

View Full Version : Random Question...

Syr_SwitchyGQ
08-27-2007, 12:27 PM
So... maybe I'm just uneducated, but what is/are cismen and ciswomen? I've seen this term a few times and got confused, so I wiki- and google-ed it, but the only thing I found was in Turkish and/or about Turks. Given the nature of this issue/community, I get the feeling that there are probably more than one definitions out there for it (but I could be wrong) so if one or a few of you want to clue me in, that'd be great. Thanks!

~RJ

Adam
08-27-2007, 12:33 PM
cismen born male
ciswoman born female :D

Syr_SwitchyGQ
08-27-2007, 02:05 PM
Cool, thanks! Better question: why the cis- prefix? Where does that come from?

CaptLex
08-27-2007, 02:21 PM
Cisgendered is the opposite of transgendered, Gutherie - someone whose gender identity matches their body. But I don't know where the "cis" comes from. Maybe someone else has a clue. :happy:

Cai
08-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Well, in chemistry, trans means that the groups are on opposite sides of a bond, while cis means the groups are on the same sides of a bond. The prefix might mean "opposite" and together, which would make sense in both cases.

ZenFrost
08-27-2007, 03:58 PM
While I don't know anything about chemistry (except for the molecular composition of caffeine ;)) I'm inclined to agree with Cai, since his explanation makes a lot of sense.

bi_weird
08-27-2007, 11:27 PM
Chem's the only place I've seen cis and trans before. Being the chem grad student I can tell you a lot about those types of bonds, but anyway. It's probably from German - that's where a lot of chem terms come from. Or Latin, because everything in English comes from Latin.

John
08-28-2007, 06:25 AM
I'd recon the same as what they said.

and Bi, not everything in English comes from Latin.