PDA

View Full Version : Good news and Bad news

Annaliese
08-30-2007, 05:37 PM
I got some good news and some bad news today.

I have had back problems for years, had two back surgeries over 20 years ago and my last one in March of this year work great have not had pain since.

The good news is that all the steroid I have had over the years for the pain. I have started to grow breasts. The doctor gave it a name but I cant remember it.

The bad news is that all the steroids I have had over the years for the pain. Has caused my bones to loose calcium and that is why I fractured my hip mowing my lawn.

I was never told this would happen for either.
Have to stay off it for 90 days to let it heal.
I cant evenen shave my legs now.

Anna

Veronica Fallon
08-30-2007, 06:25 PM
That's a shame Anna! They should have explained all the risks to you before putting you on the steroids. You should at least get compensation for your time laid-up because of it. Any legal options for you to pursue?

Good luck dear,

Veronica

SandyR
08-30-2007, 06:50 PM
Ang in there Anna, this will pass and before you know it you'll be shaving agian. I have been there.

Hugs.

SandyR

Marcie Sexton
08-30-2007, 07:37 PM
Kick back relax and get on with the mending...I would checkon some vitamin suppliments to help with the loss of bone density...

...and by the way...Hurry up and get well

Darlene-VA
08-30-2007, 09:36 PM
Get well soon and have that razor ready

imseakin
08-30-2007, 09:43 PM
I believe the condition is called gynomastia - enlarged breasts due to reduced testosterone and hence elevated estrogen.

I have this condition from a pituitary tumor that for years was causing the same hormone imbalance. Though I didn't want large breasts and suffered emotionally from the effect of seeing my breasts growing and from the associated loss of sex drive. Also, with reduced testosterone, you may notice lack of stamina and weight gain. I gained 40 pounds over 4 years yet when I finally got the medication that properly treated the condition, 25 of those pounds dissappeared within the first year without any hard workouts etc.

Yes, when your testosterone depletes, you risk osteoporosis. So perhaps the doctor will be prescribing some testosterone to help regain strength and bone integrity.

Get silicone breast forms. I have a set and they're pretty fantastic. Feels wonderful to caress them through the silky bra and the mass feels nice on your front. But look after your bones. Also know that loss of testosterone leads to loss of muscle mass which is also critical to your health.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and return to health!

S

sissystephanie
08-30-2007, 10:10 PM
I am surprised your doctor did not tell you to take calcium for bone loss. Any reputable M.D will always prescribe some form of calcium, since that is what your bones are made of. But you don't really need a prescription. Just go to any place that sells vitamins and look for Calcium Citrate. That form of calcium absorbs faster than others. The only problem with taking calcium is if you have any history of kidney stones in your family. If that is so, don't take the calcium. You will just wind up with kidney stones. I know I did! And if you do take it, watch the dosage. Don't overdo it!

Sissy

More Girl than man sometimes

Veronica 1
08-30-2007, 11:37 PM
If I were you, I would seek out a good lawyer, (what a contradictory term), and see what, if any, recourse you have for the lack of information that you received from your doctors. Not telling you the side effects of your treatment, which led to the broken hip, loss of income, etc., sounds like a good case of malpractice to me.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b332/rainmaker69/canada001.gif and we do not have the same laws as America, but from my understanding you guys can sue someone for farting in an elevator so go for it.