PDA

View Full Version : That wonderful little word!

sandra-leigh
08-31-2007, 10:03 PM
This afternoon, I was in my casual (drab) work clothes, kneeling on the floor at the nearby department store, intent on sorting through the clearance tights (looks like my favorites got discontinued :( ), when I heard an eldery lady ask me,

"Mam, do you work here?"

Ah, what a wonderful little word "Mam" is :D

I looked up and smiled and said, "No, I don't work here". The lady wasn't phased at all to see my male face, and replied, "Ah, just looking then."

I was sorting the tights while trying to find my size, so my activity could have been misconstrued as working at cleaning up the bin.

And the "Mam"? My hair is shoulder-length now, and I was turned away. And perhaps her eyes aren't what they once were. But it was still nice to hear. :)

Stephenie S
08-31-2007, 10:10 PM
Yes, Tess, it is. It still surprises me at times. I'm not at all used to hearing it.

Nice to hear from YOU, I was wondering where you were. Now I find you have been spending all your time sorting through the tights display. Please leave some for the rest of us, and don't mess it up too much. LOL.

Lovies,
Stephenie

(I know I owe you a letter)

BarbaraTalbot
08-31-2007, 10:43 PM
That must have felt very validating for you!

that has never happened to me, despite comments I got in my younger days (and a few lbs ago) that I was less than masculine looking.

I do however apparently look like a store employee. People used to ask me all the time. Must have been the clean-cut haircut. I used to stop by the grocery on the way home from work. I couldn't go two aisles without being stopped. I found I could go 4 aisles if I removed the pen from its parking space behind my ear. I used to always wear relatively inexpensive men's trousers, a white or striped shirt and a tie. Now that drab mode is even more drab,I have shaved my balding head for a few years and I often have some scruff on my chops, I don't hear it as often.

That might be a fun 'passing' test dress in neat clothing similar to the employees, wig pulled back and light make-up and see what happens. ~evil grin~

sandra-leigh
08-31-2007, 10:56 PM
Nice to hear from YOU, I was wondering where you were. Now I find you have been spending all your time sorting through the tights display.

Not just tights -- it's summer clearance sale season! I've been taking advantage to buy trouser-socks at 10% of the list price; and I picked up several silk shirts, some lovely long tops (practically mini-dresses), a couple of great blouses (classic white cotton), some $120 bras for $10 each, started into pretty panties, and bought various other apparel. Let's see, did I mention the black nightgown and the lavander slip?

And my patience is improving, too -- I didn't snap at the (male) sales clerk in the leather store who came over and cleared his throat and condescendingly said "The mens leather shoes are over this way; this over here is the womens' section." I just calmly picked up the four leather skirts I'd gathered and asked to try them on. :) Don't stand between me and the fitting-room!! :D

Rosaliy Lynne
09-01-2007, 01:25 AM
Not just tights -- it's summer clearance sale season! I've been taking advantage to buy trouser-socks at 10% of the list price; and I picked up several silk shirts, some lovely long tops (practically mini-dresses), a couple of great blouses (classic white cotton), some $120 bras for $10 each, started into pretty panties, and bought various other apparel. Let's see, did I mention the black nightgown and the lavander slip?

And my patience is improving, too -- I didn't snap at the (male) sales clerk in the leather store who came over and cleared his throat and condescendingly said "The mens leather shoes are over this way; this over here is the womens' section." I just calmly picked up the four leather skirts I'd gathered and asked to try them on. :) Don't stand between me and the fitting-room!! :D

and you certainly put that fool in his place. :heehee::devil:
I had a similar experience years ago when I bought my first human hair wigs (and they were cheaper then than they are now) and the woman told me "those are for women." I simply said, "I know." and bought them anyway.

Who the (%(&*) cares who buys what anyway as long as they items are paid for!!!!!

battybattybats
09-01-2007, 07:21 PM
I really loved it when a GG who I know, not well but who dated my brother and who always says hi said "Hi girls!" to me and my girlfriend and then stammered through an awkward clumsy apology mentioning my long hair while my girlfriend quietly fumed and I grinned from ear to ear.

Kris
09-01-2007, 07:40 PM
"Mam, do you work here?"

Ah, what a wonderful little word "Mam" is :D

I just have to say that for me, when someone calls me Ma'am I think they are saying I am OLD....... and I hate it. It's like when someone calls my son Mr. Red Thunder... I think.. where is my ex.......... :heehee: See how everyone is different?

Kris :hugs:

Cindi Ann Kelly
09-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Isn't it wonderful? I was called "ma me" once and loved
it.

cindi