PDA

View Full Version : Kansas gov't and gender identity

Bobbie cd
08-31-2007, 11:58 PM
Hi everybody,

The governor of Kansas has issued an executive order commanding all state agencies to implement new anti-discrimination policies that now specifically prohibits any harassment or discrimination in employment based on any form of sexual orientation or gender identity!

This may not help those unfortunate folks working for private firms here in the flatlands, but it is a big step forward for this place!! :drink: :D

Darlene-VA
09-01-2007, 06:55 AM
Nice to see that things are indeed changing for the better, hope it spreads all over the country

Charleen
09-01-2007, 07:34 AM
Every little step helps!

Patty
09-01-2007, 08:49 AM
Great News

One step at a time

Mary Morgan
09-01-2007, 08:58 AM
Kathleen gets one right every now and again.

sterling12
09-01-2007, 12:04 PM
Isn't this the same state where they have been having big fights over teaching, "Creationism" in the schools?

A lot of somebody's must have been put out of office! We will all hope for more positive changes.

Really depressing to realize that Kansas now has a "leg up," on Florida. Must get to that Equality Florida Meeting and start working for change. How about the same sort of effort in your state?

Peace and Love, Joanie

AmberTG
09-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Neither Wisconsin nor Michigan specificly cover "gender identity or presentation" at this time, although Wisconsin does cover sexual orientation, not sure about Michigan, it's been a while sense I've read the official employee posters for MI.

battybattybats
09-01-2007, 06:52 PM
You know what would be useful... a directory, or better yet a map, that shows what the legal status for us is in different states and countries.

That could possibly be a good campaining tool and even get media attention.

renee99
09-04-2007, 06:14 PM
You know what would be useful... a directory, or better yet a map, that shows what the legal status for us is in different states and countries.

That could possibly be a good campaining tool and even get media attention.

Such a map should be careful to differentiate between regulations for public agencies and regulations for private employers. Many states cover sexual orientation and gender identity for government employees and contractors, while private employers in that state are free to discriminate all they want.

Wenda
09-04-2007, 07:24 PM
My Grandmother came from Kansas (or 'Kanz'z as she pronouced it). I have an idea of how conservative Kansas can be, so this is a big step. Congratulations!, w.

Angie G
09-04-2007, 07:37 PM
This is a good thing it coming and soon I hope :hugs:
Angie

Bobbie cd
09-04-2007, 10:34 PM
Yes, it is progress. Could be better, but we will take what positive steps we can get.

Angie, this is done by an executive order from the Governor, so it takes effect pretty much immediately. We will have to see if we can get the legislature to get off its' collective keister and back it up with sensible legal statute.
(I'm not holding my breath.:rolleyes:)

Wenda, yes, Kansas does tend to the conservative side.
The saying here goes, "Welcome to Kansas, set your clocks back 10 years!"

"Sigh", yes Joanie, we have had to put up with the wack-a-doodle creationist proponents hijacking the school commision in recent years. We hope that is now behind us. (Where the a**'s belong, LOL)

KateSpade83
09-04-2007, 10:43 PM
Yes - gay employment rights is more important than gay marriage !