PDA

View Full Version : Denied Fitting Rom

noname
09-04-2007, 01:18 AM
Had a question for the FTM. Have you even been denied a fitting room when trying on guy clothes?

Today I was walking past a store and saw a really cool argile knit vest with a dress shirt sewn into the vest. My wife and I walked in, I grabbed a couple of sizes and asked if I could try them on. The SA told me they have a company policy that no men may use a changing room. When leaving my wife assured me that a women would encounter the same thing, is this true.

*rant: On a side note being a guy I could have just removed my shirt and changed right there in the store. I'm sure they would have loved that.

Abraxas
09-04-2007, 02:16 AM
I've never had a problem-- perhaps the odd look now and again, but never been denied one.

Adam
09-04-2007, 05:37 AM
never had a problem just grab stuff and head to the changeing room infact before i came out i never tryed clothes on before i brought them now i do try them :D

Kieron Andrew
09-04-2007, 05:53 AM
never had a problem either, pick up said item head for changing room, job done

JamesAlan
09-04-2007, 10:36 AM
I've been shopping in guy stores since I was 12, I still live as a female. I've never been denied a fitting room. Though the associates are very polite as they measure my inseam, he he he. Personally I'd find that store's website and e-mail their customer service department. But then, that's just me.

CaptLex
09-04-2007, 10:57 AM
*rant: On a side note being a guy I could have just removed my shirt and changed right there in the store. I'm sure they would have loved that.
Well, at least you can do that - I wish I could. I don't usually use fitting rooms 'cause I'm pretty sure of my size and on the odd occasion that it doesn't fit, I'll return it. But I needed the fitting room when I went to buy my first real man's suit last December (for proper alterations), and they had me use a large storage closet instead. So, yeah, I have been denied the men's fitting room - but one day I know that won't be the case. :happy:

Taylor105
09-04-2007, 11:22 AM
I'm one of those guys who hates trying things on. I just grab what I assume will fit me and go home to try them on. If they don't fit I take them back and exchange them for the size that will. I know it's a hassle but I really hate trying on clothing in stores. Now if I ever get a suit or something that I will need to be measured for I will definitely try them on at the store.

ZenFrost
09-04-2007, 01:52 PM
The trick is not to ask if you can use the fitting room, just use it. And if they say you can't, complain. That's what I always do and it's worked out so far. I also just use whichever fitting room is the closest so I can spend as little time in the store as possible. I'm not actually a big fan of trying lots of stuff on, but I'd rather spend forever in a store once than have to come back later.

Syr_SwitchyGQ
09-04-2007, 02:00 PM
No.... but I've had the opposite problem. I was at a Target not that long ago (in another town where they don't all know me) and I was trying to buy another pair of cargos b/c I was overwearing the two I had. The dressing rooms were clearly marked male and female, but they were right next to each other like bathrooms. It was a little strange. Anyway, I just sort of let the attendants direct me to where I was supposed to go (I figured that would just be easier) and they sent me to the men's. I was happy. A little weirded out because I wasn't fully dressed like a guy (no binder, quasi-tight t-shirt, no ballcap) but it was cool. Then my mother came looking for me and started yelling for me down the women's hall by my female name. I decided to fess up and answer her (you know, instead of stranding her like I was tempted to) and the attendant (think sixty year-old church-goer) gave me this priceless over-the-glasses librarian stare. Since then I've rather avoided dressing rooms.

Emma England
09-04-2007, 02:03 PM
The trick is not to ask if you can use the fitting room, just use it.

That's all very well unless there is an attendant who refuses.

Today whilst shopping, I was denied the ladies fitting room (I am a mtf cd). Was asked to go to the mens which was two floors up!

The fitting room that I was in was completely enclosed - no chance of seeing to the next one. So what the problem is with some stores I do not know.

Cai
09-04-2007, 02:13 PM
Emma, I've been sent to other departments to use the fitting rooms too. Usually I shop based on size and figuring I can always return it if it doesn't fit (worked so far!)

noname
09-04-2007, 02:19 PM
If there had been mens fitting rooms I would have happily used those. I was fairly certain of the size, but I wanted to know how this type of dress shirt looked on me with it being 3/4 length sleave and slightly flared collar.

Oh BTW when I was told I may not try the shirt on, I was also told I was welcome to purchase the shirt, and should I not like it, I can then do a return and try another size. Sure, sounds like a deal when I'm an hour away from home.

Cai
09-04-2007, 02:23 PM
I'd complain to the management, tell them you really wanted to purchase the item, and the only reason they lost the sale was their fitting room policy. And due to their fitting room policy, they've forever lost a customer unless it changes, because you won't buy anything without trying it on.