PDA

View Full Version : Gender Neutral Names

noname
09-04-2007, 02:12 AM
I did some searching for gender neutral names and found some surprising data. Would you believe names like Jennifer, Ashlee, Laurie and many others are considered gender neutral names? The stats are interesting as well. Average age for male with said name 76, average age for female of said age 24. Males with said name 7563, females with said name 1634872.

While I am working on a temp IT job now, I wonder if puting a generally female name on my resume would score more interviews? I've talked to female IT workers and they say being a female is a free pass to a job you may not be so qualified for, as it's difficult to fill quotes in this field of study. Of course if that is what they are looking for I probably wouldn't get in anyway. But with the length of time I was recently unemployed, it would be interesting to guage if I am offered more interviews.

Hippy Chic
09-04-2007, 02:29 AM
I went to school with a couple of male Ashleys & have worked with a couple since. Laurie is a traditional male Scottish name (Everyone of a certain age in the UK will have heard of Laurie Lee, author of Cider with Rosie, as it was a standard school text back mumble years ago). Not come across boys called Jennifer yet.

Kierci
09-04-2007, 02:32 AM
Try it then let us know how it works out for ya, I am curious:love:

Hermione Simpson
09-04-2007, 04:05 AM
theirs also angel, shirley, kim and lauren among others

Angie G
09-04-2007, 04:37 AM
If you use one Lourie is a nice name :hugs:
Angie

Satrana
09-04-2007, 05:01 AM
Lynn is a male name in Wales. Never heard of a male Jennifer - maybe from another part of the world?

If you are applying for a public sector post then you could try listing yourself as a TG as they may need to fill a quota for minorities. I don't believe in quota systems but if they exist, work them to your advantage.

Patricia Danielle
09-04-2007, 07:16 AM
A good friend of mine is named Carol and he's quite a fiddle player. also know a bass player named Kimberly he's a really good guy too. But hey I'm a Pedal Steel Guitar player named Patricia..

MsPriscilla
09-04-2007, 09:07 AM
How about Francis/Frances? I have a friend with two children called Alex and Sam. I am always confused as Alex is Alexander and Sam is Samantha.

I somehow doubt that Priscilla is gender neutral

noname
09-04-2007, 09:18 AM
If you are applying for a public sector post then you could try listing yourself as a TG as they may need to fill a quota for minorities. I don't believe in quota systems but if they exist, work them to your advantage.

I was actually thinking about that, as state jobs are about all there are in my town.

Jackie67
09-04-2007, 09:48 AM
How about Francis/Frances? I have a friend with two children called Alex and Sam. I am always confused as Alex is Alexander and Sam is Samantha.

I somehow doubt that Priscilla is gender neutral

How about My own name Jackie, and my sister is Jaquelyn.:heehee:

Karren H
09-04-2007, 09:55 AM
Personally I think gender neutral names are stupid!! What's wrong with names that describe who you are!! Or more likely what your parents want you to be... Ok maybe names like Moon Unit... Are a bit wierd.. WTF was Frank thinking anyway?? Probably on drugs playing with his zircon incrusted tweezers on his move to Montana... Soon.... Hehe. Or Sonny and Cher - when they name that cute little girl Chastity the probably never invisioned the she end up a big ......... Never mind.. Lol

But hey in WV I know guys named carol, Beverly and Sherley..... Wonder what their parents were thinking!! Boy named Sue!!

Karren

mylitta
09-04-2007, 10:03 AM
And John Wayne's real name was Marion, I believe. And in the UK we had a wrestler known as Big Daddy, whose real name was Shirley!!

Shelly Preston
09-04-2007, 10:31 AM
Personally I think gender neutral names are stupid!! What's wrong with names that describe who you are!! Or more likely what your parents want you to be...

Karren

Why would you want to be what your parents want ?????

How can they be stupid names

It is probably the most sensible thing to do they anyone can do for children

It means anyone in transition does not need a name change :D

kymmieLorain
09-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Well I can think of a couple righ now, Sandy, Kim, pat( yeah SNL)

Kymmie

AmberTG
09-04-2007, 01:32 PM
The biggest advantage to a gender neutral name is for the legalities of it. If you transition, no need to legally change your name, only your gender marker.
Even as a CD, it'd be easier if you get stopped by the police and have to show your license.:D

Lisa Golightly
09-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Dunno... everyone knows me as Lisa... Or *petname* :)

As an IT Technocrat all that interests me in potential workers is how much more they know than me... That's where the extra dollars... quids... etc are...

Deborah_UK
09-05-2007, 04:27 AM
I suppose Robin is also gender neutral - or is it?

In the UK it is mainly a male name (although I do know of Robyn as a female name), but in the US Robin is mainly a female name I believe.

(thinks - just need to change my middle name in the passport for the next time I visit the States!)

SatinDoll00
09-05-2007, 05:05 AM
Morgan...

although I shorten Morgana down to Morgan...

Morgan <---didn't actually mean to pick a gender neutral name, considering her male name is not Morgan...but likes it any way.

SatinDoll00
09-05-2007, 05:07 AM
Personally I think gender neutral names are stupid!!
Karren

:(

Morgan

Just Kidding Karren...I know you didn't mean me. (I hope)