PDA

View Full Version : A Call to Battle

jenniferj
09-04-2007, 01:58 PM
SweetWife and I had tickets last week to play in a small theatre in the Berkshires (artsy mountains in Western MA (plus CT and kindof Vt) - about 100 miles from home. The odds of ever running into anyone we know are incredibly small.

All week long I daydreamed about really going all out and presenting myself to her the night before with a choice of 4 or 5 different summery outfits, to choose one to wear to the play. (We have never done anything like that before).

As things turned out (broken cars needing repair, unexpected guests for the weekend, etc.) it was not to be. I may do the fashion show some night this week, but without the thrilling thought of actually going someplace it obviously won't be the same.

OK - so I'm a coward for backing out. BUT, I scanned the audience of 150-200 people looking for one of us and came up empty.

This tells me:

1. We are much better at dressing than I would have thought

or

2. I am not the only coward out there.

I also spent a few moments looking for men who I thought my be our sisters, and didn't see anyone giving anything away.

I thought that we are supposed to be 5% of the general population - certainly we would be more highly represented at an artsy event.

Any thoughts?

jj

Toyah
09-04-2007, 02:13 PM
SweetWife and I had tickets last week to play in a small theatre in the Berkshires (artsy mountains in Western MA (plus CT and kindof Vt) - about 100 miles from home. The odds of ever running into anyone we know are incredibly small.

All week long I daydreamed about really going all out and presenting myself to her the night before with a choice of 4 or 5 different summery outfits, to choose one to wear to the play. (We have never done anything like that before).

As things turned out (broken cars needing repair, unexpected guests for the weekend, etc.) it was not to be. I may do the fashion show some night this week, but without the thrilling thought of actually going someplace it obviously won't be the same.

OK - so I'm a coward for backing out. BUT, I scanned the audience of 150-200 people looking for one of us and came up empty.

This tells me:

1. We are much better at dressing than I would have thought

or

2. I am not the only coward out there.

I also spent a few moments looking for men who I thought my be our sisters, and didn't see anyone giving anything away.

I thought that we are supposed to be 5% of the general population - certainly we would be more highly represented at an artsy event.

Any thoughts?

jj

My thoughts are 5% out dressed at one event unless its CD:heehee: if you want odds try maybe one in a thousand or so, as for artsy events why would we be anymore interested than anyone else I suspect there would have been 200 people surreptitiously checking the CD out :happy:

Emily Ann Brown
09-04-2007, 02:29 PM
5% may be the part of male population with gender/dressing issues, but the % out and about is far less. And we aren't out usually unless we feel we blend pretty well.

Emily Ann

jenniferj
09-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Hi Toyah,

"as for artsy events why would we be anymore interested than anyone else"

I may be wrong but I think of the theatre as a more feminine pursuit; there are almost always substantially more women at a play than men, and I would guess that a large fraction of the men are actually there to please their women.

Since about 40% of us see ourselves as something other than "a guy in a dress" (That thread was last week) it would follow that a larger fraction of the CD world enjoys the theatre than of the overall male population - if only to have a place to wear somewhat dressier clothes. Thus we should be more highly represented at such events.

No stereotyping or gender bashing here! :)

jj

Fab Karen
09-04-2007, 02:43 PM
You say it was basically out in the sticks. If you want to find sisters, I wouldn't expect to see them much outside the city.
If she's accepting of doing that, why not plan a night out together in the city?

Karren H
09-04-2007, 03:18 PM
Em's right about the small number that are out and about so to speak... Probably I the tenths of a percent range.. IMHO.... So that would be .1 to .2 of the crowd (50% male of the 200) but if you did a panty check 5 of them were probably wearing something fem!! Lol

And hey.. Don't failt yourself for not going enfemme... Only do what you feel comfortable doing.. The more your out the more comphy you get.. Too comphy sometimes!! Lol.

And I have no idea why you think something artsie would increase the chance of running into another sister.. On the contrary, I'd say that a clearence sale at Macy's would be a much higher chance than some artsie fartsie theater place!! :D. But then again that's just me!! Hehe

Karren

jenniferj
09-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Karen, Karren,

Actually, the coward part refers to not suggesting the idea to DearWife - I'd probably be OK with it myself, even if everybody read me (pretty darn likely) and was checking me out. (I was planning cute outfits).

The call to battle was to encourage more of us to appear at such things. It would be good to have people see us!

Out in the sticks, but the area draws the artsy crowd from Boston, CT, Burlington and that little town at the mouth of the Hudson River. Tanglewood (summer home of the Boston Symphony) is nearby, and you can't swing your (dior) purse without hitting a small theatre group or art gallery.

BTW Karren, welcome back! I was pretty much in hiding over he summer also, and it's good to be out again. Relax and enjoy!

jj

DonnaT
09-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Being in MA and near CT, there were probably one or two (or more) trans folk there. Some are just hard to spot. Especially if they've transitioned. Others aren't brave enough or are in the closet, etc.

Billijo49504
09-04-2007, 11:04 PM
The most CD's that I see in the grocery store or the mall is the one I see in the MIRROR!!!!!BJ