PDA

View Full Version : stilettos that keep on breaking

Kimmie
09-05-2007, 12:01 AM
I have purchased 3 pairs of stilettos not to high a heel, and all three of them broke. im wondering if this has happend to you girls. Is there a way to walk on them without them breaking or could it be a flaw in the shoes that I buy?

DonnaT
09-05-2007, 12:04 AM
Before my stroke, when I could walk in heels, and I weighed in at around 280 lbs, I never broke a heel. And I could wear them up to 5".

Katelyn
09-05-2007, 12:14 AM
I have purchased 3 pairs of stilettos not to high a heel, and all three of them broke. im wondering if this has happend to you girls. Is there a way to walk on them without them breaking or could it be a flaw in the shoes that I buy?

Remember, these shoes are made for women. (don't take offense)

With that being said, here are the three possible scenerios that I can think of.

1. The shoes you get are a cheap brand
2. You just don't now how to walk in heels yet. (practice makes perfect)
3. You may be too large of a frame for them. (once again, no offense)

Here's a place that makes shoes for women like us.
http://www.divine.co.uk/

If you've ever seen the movie "Kinky Boots", this is the actual place the movie was based on.

DawnRodgers
09-05-2007, 01:07 AM
Don't know how you walk in heels but I feel that you almost have to imagine that you're walking on ypour toes. The heel definitely comes down first but you cannot put all of ypour weight on the heel. Just feel like your toes come down just a little bit after your heel.
May take a lot of practice. Start with lower heels and work your way up to higher.

Kimmie
09-05-2007, 01:41 AM
im pretty average sized i weigh 180. so i dont think that im putting to much pressure on them

Kierci
09-05-2007, 01:44 AM
I would say practice in a heel a little thicker untill they feel like your wearing sneakers then slowly work your way to the skinny ones. just my :2c:

Ibuki_Warpetal
09-05-2007, 01:45 AM
You might be putting a large amount of stress on the outer edge of the heel without realizing it. When do they break exactly? Under what conditions?

Kimmie
09-05-2007, 01:50 AM
i've only been walking arround the house. im still in the closet. ity seams like im walkin on the edge of them.i dont quite feel balenced

Katelyn
09-05-2007, 02:37 AM
it's your walk then. Keep practicing. Like mentioned before, it feels like walking on your toes. Just walk slow and take baby steps.

Kimmie
09-05-2007, 03:07 AM
we guys tend to walk with a lot less grace then women. I'm wondering if m not alone in being a CD who has broken heels before.

dakota_ann69
09-05-2007, 03:33 AM
Remember, these shoes are made for women. (don't take offense)

With that being said, here are the three possible scenerios that I can think of.

1. The shoes you get are a cheap brand
2. You just don't now how to walk in heels yet. (practice makes perfect)
3. You may be too large of a frame for them. (once again, no offense)

Here's a place that makes shoes for women like us.
http://www.divine.co.uk/

If you've ever seen the movie "Kinky Boots", this is the actual place the movie was based on.

You are not alone I have broken a few pair, like said above practice makes perfect maybe shorten your stride a bit, feel relaxed. This helped me alot.

Ema1234 GG
09-05-2007, 03:35 AM
Very occasionally you will come across a pair of shoes that have a flaw in them, it's bound to happen, it's just one of those things.

But to have it happen to all three of your shoes indicates that you must be walking incorrectly in them. Walking in heels is an artform, or atleast walking gracefully in heels is. CDs can walk gracefully in the highest of heels, it's just not something that comes naturally to either men or women.

You don't mention how high the heels are? I'd also suggest that you try a wedge heel until you get used to the sensation of walking with your foot in an unnatural position. Once you've mastered that, and you don't feel quite so unsteady then it will be a lot easier to practise in heels.

Becky10
09-05-2007, 05:28 AM
I find that I walk more awkwardly within the confines of the house; when I can get into my stride and rythm it is a lot easier to walk in high heels.

One of my moans is when walking across uneven surfaces - you can easily scratch the colour off your heels and need touching up with heel paint!

Becky

Kate Simmons
09-05-2007, 05:36 AM
We can be rough on shoes.:happy:

Becky10
09-05-2007, 05:39 AM
What more reason to go and buy more shoes (tights, bras, skirts....)!!

Becky

erickka
09-05-2007, 06:43 AM
I don't seem to have a problem with heels breaking, but sure do have one with the heel tips wearing quickly. Rough concrete is the worst. I will soon be buying some metal heel tips for my favorite spiky stilettos. Any one else wear their tips quickly?

Darlene-VA
09-05-2007, 06:48 AM
I have had to replace some heel tips over the years but never have broken heel

Cara Allen
09-05-2007, 06:58 AM
I weigh 175, have been wearing heels for a long time, and have never had one break. Get a different brand, hon. I but Payless, all the time, and never had a problem. May I ask what size shoe you wear? I have seen some pretty voluptious women (and CD's) in talll heels, and nothing EVER breaks.

im pretty average sized i weigh 180. so i dont think that im putting to much pressure on them

Dita_B
09-05-2007, 07:00 AM
In the movie "Kinky Boots" they address the problem of CD's walking on women's heels.

They talk about a metal shank built into the shoe that strengthened the shoe for the extra stress it has to take when a man walks on them...

I don't know if that would resolve your problem as I never had any heel breaking and I walk on heels (made in China) all the time. And mine are made for women...

So your problem can be two fold: or your walk is wrong and you are putting too much stress on the shoe, or your shoes are of an inferior quality... or a combination of both.

To improve your walk, start watching fashion TV programs and watch models walking the cat walk in fashion shows and pay particular attention to the way they walk...Then practice what you have observed they do... It takes some time to get it right.

And to resolve the other issue is easy... buy a better quality shoe...

:love:Dita.

Karren H
09-05-2007, 07:01 AM
Never broke a heel either.. you must be doing something wrong... Call your local shoe store and sign up for a class... or call OSHA and see if they give "Safe Work Instructions" for high heels... :D

Karren

Kahlan51
09-05-2007, 08:00 AM
I have never broken a heel. I notice that many people no matter what their size or footwear tend to walk " Hard" having their weight slam down hard rather than being " light on their feet" It may be something to notice. Kahlan

janet1234
09-05-2007, 08:07 AM
Practice, practice, practice, that's how to get to Carnegie Hall.

celeste26
09-05-2007, 08:13 AM
I've broken heels before, but not in the last 20 years or so.. The only thing I can imagine is that they were poorly constructed and I wont ever buy from that store again. It was a cheesy online "CD clothing store" and not any of the many mainstream shoe outlets that are available more recently.

Jackie67
09-05-2007, 08:49 AM
I have never broke a heel but then I had a head start on this cd thingy, If you have read my Intro and profile you will see what I mean.
You have to walk the walk.:heehee::devil:

Dee Talbot
09-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Barb hasn't broken any, but she was having some difficulty learning to walk in them. What was a big help to her, was to practice on the treadmill set at a strolling speed. That way, she could find her stride in the privacy of our home.

I agree with everyone who has suggested wedges, lower heels, etc, until you have mastered the walk. Learning on stillettos is like using toothpicks to learn to walk on stilts.

Dee

Kimmie
09-05-2007, 05:43 PM
I wear between size 13 and 14. I have big feet. im of average hight and weight. I have yet to go out en femme. Im tempted to do so next time im in a big city. But from what you all are telling me is that I'm probably not wearing the right size, im not balenced the right way and im not walking in them correctly. Is the larger sized heels harder to walk in im sure there are girls out there who are 6ft blank and weaght over 200lbs who are able to do this.

DonnaT
09-05-2007, 05:59 PM
One way to tell if it's your walk is to look at your regular shoes. It the wear and tear in the heel area is more on one side than the other, you may have a problem.

Now, since you wear large shoes, I'll make a suggestion.

There is a product, an adhesive, that makes a bond stronger than the original material. It's called Cool Chem Cyanopoxy (http://www.mrhobby.com/Cyantips.html). Expensive, but priceless when needed. Break a heel, repair it. It shouldn't break again.

Missy Anne
09-05-2007, 08:29 PM
As you walk, you may be putting your heel down at too great an angle. It has to be almost (but not quite) vertical. Guys tend to use their heels to pull themselves forward. Girls, I think, tent to keep their weight a little farther forward and therefore push themselves forward.

I have never broken a heel.

That is about the best I can do for a description of the solution.

Happy practicing!

Missy Anne

sterling12
09-05-2007, 11:51 PM
Small steps, upper thighs almost touching, point your toes down a straight line. Remember a Lady never "strides," she saunters!

Are you breaking your heels in approximately the same place each time? If so, that would certainly offer some indication that you are stressing the shoes.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Corinna E
09-05-2007, 11:56 PM
as fun as stiletto's are and as much as none of us could live without them if your new to walking in heels maybe something to look at is a wedge heel. they make some very very cute and sexy wedge heels. those my dear are basically impossible to break!!! :2c:

Kimmie
09-06-2007, 02:16 AM
Is there anysites that show or tell how to walk in stiletos?

DonnaT
09-06-2007, 07:26 AM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=usrs6cm2vQg

Blonde
09-06-2007, 12:56 PM
What you need to practice is to walk on your toes.
When you put your foot down, the toe and heel should touch the ground AT THE SAME TIME. If you are breaking your heels, it is because you are putting your foot down heel first. (which is a common way for a man to walk)

Oh and another thing, shorten your gate. When walking in high heels, there should be no more than one (1) foot length between your feet, any more than that and you risk coming down on your heels first.

Best practice is heel to toe.

Julie York
09-06-2007, 04:30 PM
In the movie "Kinky Boots" they address the problem of CD's walking on women's heels.

They talk about a metal shank built into the shoe that strengthened the shoe for the extra stress it has to take when a man walks on them...

A company called Hay Way in the Uk make shoes with that extra strength bit in them because they are made for Cds. Nice shoes too and great service but a little pricey.

Staci
09-06-2007, 07:31 PM
I buy most of my shoes at Payless shoes and have never broken a heel yet. I don't walk down the street in them so that may be part of it but none have broken.

Angie G
09-06-2007, 08:21 PM
I've got 15 pairs of heel 3 to 4inchs all different brand and never broke one maybe it the way you walk hun :hugs:
Angie

charlie-50
09-06-2007, 09:09 PM
What more reason to go and buy more shoes (tights, bras, skirts....)!!

Becky

Come on now ladies lets say it togeather .....CHARGE IT.........charlie....:D

Mya Summers
09-07-2007, 01:54 AM
well I'm going to put my :2c: worth in here. I'm 6'2" 180Lbs and wear 3-4" heels and haven't broke but one in the past 10 years, but thats b/c I was being stupid. I agree w/alot of the others, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!! The way I learned was watching how other woman walked in them and practiced. As much as I would Love to put on a pair of Stilleto's I won't do it b/c I know thats out of my league. But just listen to the other grls in here and use their advice. Best of luck to you.

Mya

Jillm
09-08-2007, 08:35 AM
My SO and I wear the same size shoe, lucky me, so our heels get a lot of use. I never broke one but she has, we get all our heels from newportnews.com. We sent the broken pair back, they were about 2 years old and they sent a new pair. Maybe you should try to exchange them.