PDA

View Full Version : First time in a while

Cristi
09-06-2007, 10:22 PM
I don't do too much dressing in public during the Summer (except for around the house). Fall is really when I usually get the urge to start going out again.

So today was the first time since late last Winter that I really got a chance to get out and have some fun. I had to drive to a city about 2-1/2 hours away, sit in on a meeting, then I had the rest of the day off. I drove up dressed, but with no makeup, before changing back into drab in the parking lot of the building were my meeting was scheduled.

Two things of note happened today. First, before changing after my meeting, I stopped in at a TJ Max store to browse. The behavior of one college-aged guy in the store caught my attention. He would wander over to the dresses, flip through a few, look around nervously then walk away for a minute before returning. I remember being that nervous myself when I first started shopping, so kept an eye on him discretely while browsing a few aisles away.

After a few more passes at the dress rack, he wandered over to the shoe aisle where he took his time walking slowly up and down the section of womens' pumps and dress shoes, but I could see that he didn't have the nerve to actually pick anything up. I considered going up to say 'hi', but decided that that would probably make him even more nervous so I left him alone.

Not too long ago, just having a woman in the same aisle as me would be enough to make me nervous, but today I was browsing through the skirts almost shoulder to shoulder with another shopper without giving it a second thought. Ahhh...progress. :)

When I was done there, I was able to re-shave in the car and apply makeup. I changed into the outfit I had driven up in in the car. My big mistake of the day was my selection of clothes. When I had left the house this morning, it was only 52 degrees out so I dressed warmly (opaque tights, long sleeve blouse, long skirt) but now it was almost 85 degrees out and most women were walking around in sleeveless sundresses or tank tops and shorts! Oh well, I didn't have much of a choice now unless I wanted to buy an entire outfit on the spot!

The other thing that made my day was in a small town on the drive home. As I was driving through the main street of a small town, I noticed that a store had racks of dresses out front. I decided to pull in to see what they had to offer. I found a nice Summer dress in my size, but didn't want to use my credit card while dressed. I got back into the car and drove until I found an ATM, got money from my card, then drove back to the store.

It took me several minutes to get my nerve up. Somehow, over the past 6 months, my 'comfort level' with being out in public dressed had pretty much evaporated. I finally gathered up my courage, took the dress off the outdoor rack and walked into the store to pay for it.

I was very nervous about the reaction of the woman at the cashier's counter, but things couldn't have gone any better. When she looked up to see me coming toward her, she didn't react badly at all, just smiled and said 'hello'.

I guess I'd like to think that I passed, but on this occasion I don't think there was much of a chance of that. Even so, she was very pleasant and we had a nice conversation as she folded the dress, put it into a bag, rung up the purchase and took my money.

Since I'm sure I wasn't fooling anybody anyway, I didn't really try too hard to effect a 'femme' voice, I just spoke a bit more softly and in just a slightly higher pitch than normal.

When all was done I left the store on cloud nine, my self confidence back and ready for the Fall. :) When I left the house this morning, I didn't know if I'd be able to go out like I had been doing last Winter, somehow the confidence I had built up last year had just whithered from neglect. But now I knew it was still there, I just had to dig it out again!

During the rest of the drive home, I stopped at a few other stores including a grocery store, and got out several times just to stroll along the sidewalks.

I finally got home after 9:00 and really can't WAIT until the next chance I'll have to get out... but I don't think it will be fore several weeks. :(

DonnaT
09-07-2007, 07:30 AM
Good to hear you got your confidence back.

As for the young man, one way to put him at ease would have been to ask his opinion on something for you. That way your really not outing him to himself, if you know what I mean. You're just letting him know, indirectly, that he's not alone in all this. Provided he wasn't too jittery and let you get near enough to ask the question.

Donna Marie
09-07-2007, 09:31 AM
I know just what you mean about your confidence level evaporating over time. Budget issues caused me to defer any femme shopping for a long time. When I finally did venture into the thrift store, I had a hard time settling down. I eventually found a couple of nice tops, though. And I was in drab - haven't been out in public en femme in a long time, and it just gets harder to do it the longer I avoid it. Oh well...

Cristi
09-07-2007, 11:14 AM
As for the young man, one way to put him at ease would have been to ask his opinion on something for you. That way your really not outing him to himself, if you know what I mean. You're just letting him know, indirectly, that he's not alone in all this. Provided he wasn't too jittery and let you get near enough to ask the question.

Good idea! I wish I had thought of that at the time, I would have done it. If he had reacted well, I could have even asked him to help me find something, which would have given him 'cover' for browsing through the racks of womens' clothes.

I had to laugh when I remembered something else about the incident this morning. From where I was, I could see the size tags on the rack he was browsing through. I remember thinking to myself "There is no WAY he is a size 8".

...haven't been out in public en femme in a long time, and it just gets harder to do it the longer I avoid it. Oh well...

That is just how I was feeling. When I was out in the car trying to psych myself into going into the store, I could hardly believe I had DONE such a thing before. It was like starting all over again. I've been VERY lucky so far (knock on wood), I've never had a negative experiance while out dressed other than a few passing giggles from girls and an odd look from a few people. I couldn't imagine the difficulty of getting my confidence back after a *bad* outing!

Jodi
09-07-2007, 07:11 PM
Re: the nervous behavior of the young man. I have stated here on this MB over and over again how nervousness will bring unwanted attention on you. If this was picked up on by a customer, just think how easily it is noted by professional SA's. It is always best to be open and honest with the SA's. It helps you to relax and lets them do their job.

Jodi