PDA

View Full Version : A Transman's Diary of his weekend - The Westernboys Conference

Kieron Andrew
09-10-2007, 04:48 AM
As a few of you knew I was going to a FTM Conference this weekend, I thought I would write my account of the weekend here and answer any questions anyone has in one go rather than answering loads of people separately
Well Friday morning came and my friend (nikki00thomps) came and picked me up at 1.30pm to take me to the venue for the weekend a head, we arrived at the Youth Hostel, to be told, only 4 others had booked in at this point but they were expecting at least 30 other boys on the first night and 60 the following night, so Nikki waited with me for a few hours until she could no longer because of her own schedule...so then I waited and waited on my own, and slowly the other boys started to arrive, I was quickly made at ease being the only boy that didn't know anyone, most knew each other from the Western Boys, FTM London or other sources.....There were boys as far down as the far reaches of Cornwall and up as far as The Shetland isles
The first afternoon evening consisted of getting to know each other and generally just hanging out waiting for those arriving late to do so, our first challenge was met with the fact the hostel decided because we hadn't pre-booked our meal, saying that we could not be provided with an evening meal, so off trundle a few of the organisers down to the supermarket to get us some pasta and sauces to make up a dinner in the hostels kitchen, so the fun had begun.......
So bed time had arrived at 1030pm, it had already been a long day and this was the first time id shared a room with anyone who was not my partner or family in a while....there was 4 of us to a room...Myself, Rico Paris (creator of Trans-Shropshire now called GenderMatters), and two other guys....all three of the others were post T and top surgery, so to begin with I felt a bit self conscious being that i am Pre everything, but they were great and that soon eased......
Friday morning was an early start as breakfast was between 730am & 930am, and i am so not used to early mornings on command lol. and the first workshop was 10.30am, the conference being held at Bath University.....
So my first workshop was 'Taboos - things we don't like to talk about even with each other'...in which we discussed all the taboo subjects like sex, surgeries and all other kinds of subjects...and also discussed things like why we couldn't talk about things to our friends and families who are not trans....this was good because it was a light hearted approach to many subjects some couldn't talk about, and a good way to start the conference....
My second workshop of the day was 'Hormone Choices' and what was on the market and what to look out for as bogus hormones if you chose to buy off the internet....this was great to be able to make an informed choice on what hormones were out there and what way you wanted to to be able to administer your hormones. IE injectables/gels or pills
My third and final workshop of the day was Phalloplasty, where by we had two trans guys talking about their experiences of the two different techniques of phalloplasty in the UK, the first being 'The radial forearm Phalloplasty' and the second being 'The Abdominal Phalloplasty' what happens at the different stages of both and the work that goes into creating the phallo........

Day two to come later

mistunderstood
09-10-2007, 05:11 AM
Sounds awsome. Wish I could have been there with you. There is no kinda thing close to me here in ass backward Ohio.

Kieron Andrew
09-10-2007, 06:29 AM
Im sorry this will be very brief as i really didnt write alot of notes from the second day of the conference but if anyone wants to ask me questions i will be very willing to answer the best i can and fill in any gaps........

So the first workshop of the day was even earlier than the day before starting at 930am with only two workshops on that day due to having to get off campus early, which almost killed me getting out of bed because we had a late night the night before with a gala dinner which i had forgot to mention in my previous post...which was a nice touch to the end of the first full day being able to sit and chat in a nice environment with a beer or two and nice food.
The first workshop of the day i had chosen was 'Chest Surgery' which is the one i was really looking forward to but ended up being very disappointed as the guy taking the workshop seemed to use it as a therapy/bitching fest about how his surgeon screwed up in his own opinion and showing us the results and all of us thinking what a great job had been done, and him not showing us any other technique or surgeons, so nothing was really gained from it and was quite disappointing.....
The final workshop of the weekend i chose was 'NHS - accessing trans healthcare', which was a mixture of useful information given about accessing your GP, Therapists and PCT...also a time for reflection on those already in the system on whether times have changed and how things are different now for the new guys and what it was like for the guys already post transition, the conclusion from this was things are much the same and that services greatly need to be improved somehow

Tristan
09-10-2007, 07:04 AM
Sounds like a good two days, Kieron. Sorry some of the workshops were a bit of a bummer. Rest up and recover.

SirTrey
09-10-2007, 07:12 AM
Hey Kieron,
The workshops may not have been all that you would have wanted them to be....but the chance to spend time with and get to know others whose issues are the same as ours is priceless...and I'm glad you had the chance to do that....and it's always good to get away for the weekend....Glad you had fun and thanks for sharing it with us....**Trey**

Kieron Andrew
09-10-2007, 07:24 AM
Sounds like a good two days, Kieron. Sorry some of the workshops were a bit of a bummer. Rest up and recover.
it was only one workshop that was a waste of time, the others were all great

Adam
09-10-2007, 07:56 AM
wow sounds well good weekend :D

Tamara Croft
09-10-2007, 02:14 PM
It sounds like you had a really great time, not only the workshops, but interacting and meeting up with other FTMs :) ooh did you wear your new ties??

ZenFrost
09-10-2007, 03:07 PM
Thanks for giving us the details. Sounds like you had a great time (except for that one workshop). :smilep:

Kieron Andrew
09-10-2007, 03:09 PM
It sounds like you had a really great time, not only the workshops, but interacting and meeting up with other FTMs :) ooh did you wear your new ties??
i wore one of them