PDA

View Full Version : Hey, I'm a Guy!

CaptLex
09-11-2007, 01:11 PM
Yup, it's official now. The great state of New York has officially declared me "male" as of today, so I'm walking on air right now. I went down to the Department of Motor Vehicles this morning with a letter from my doctor (as required by the DMV) and asked them to change my license.

That part was actually easy and everyone was very nice about it ("Yes, sir, no problem."). The hard part was getting them to agree to let me use my first initial and middle name, instead of my first name and middle initial (as is currently on my license). They kept telling me that I needed to show a court order proving that I've had a legal name change, and I kept explaining that I haven't had a legal name change (nor do I plan to) - I'm just using a different form of the same name. :rolleyes:

Each person I talked to referred me to their supervisor and I had to keep showing proof of my full name (birth certificate, SS card, etc.) until they finally got it - but it took hours! So . . . hallelujah! I'm now legally male in NYS and officially M. Alexis M_______. Now I have to convince the U.S. government so that I can get my passport changed, and that will be lots harder, I'm sure. :p

Also, according to my employer, it looks like I'm going to have a hard time changing the way I want my name to read on my health insurance too, but one step at a time. :happy:

SirTrey
09-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Yup, it's official now. The great state of New York has officially declared me "male" as of today, so I'm walking on air right now. I went down to the Department of Motor Vehicles this morning with a letter from my doctor (as required by the DMV) and asked them to change my license.

That part was actually easy and everyone was very nice about it ("Yes, sir, no problem."). The hard part was getting them to agree to let me use my first initial and middle name, instead of my first name and middle initial (as is currently on my license). They kept telling me that I needed to show a court order proving that I've had a legal name change, and I kept explaining that I haven't had a legal name change (nor do I plan to) - I'm just using a different form of the same name. :rolleyes:

Each person I talked to referred me to their supervisor and I had to keep showing proof of my full name (birth certificate, SS card, etc.) until they finally got it - but it took hours! So . . . hallelujah! I'm now legally male in NYS and officially M. Alexis M_______. Now I have to convince the U.S. government so that I can get my passport changed, and that will be lots harder, I'm sure. :p

Also, according to my employer, it looks like I'm going to have a hard time changing the way I want my name to read on my health insurance too, but one step at a time. :happy:

Congrats, Man! That is totally awesome.....One step at a time, but you are definitely getting there....I'm happy for you! **Trey**

Kieron Andrew
09-11-2007, 01:15 PM
:jumping::Party2::yahoo::danceman: one step at a time Lex the rest will come

Marla S
09-11-2007, 01:24 PM
:jumping:Great news, Sir :^5:

Congrats :drink:

Cai
09-11-2007, 01:56 PM
That's awesome, Lex! I'm sure you're thrilled.

Kieron Andrew
09-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Now I have to convince the U.S. government so that I can get my passport changed, and that will be lots harder, I'm sure. :p

only just noticed this part! are you thinking of taking a trip somewhere???

Abraxas
09-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Woohoo! Awe, Lex! Have a drink on me! :drink:

Syr_SwitchyGQ
09-11-2007, 02:10 PM
Congrats! :^5: Good luck changing the US government... :rolleyes: but in the mean time, enjoy your new status! :D

CaptLex
09-11-2007, 02:19 PM
only just noticed this part! are you thinking of taking a trip somewhere???
Yeah, sure . . . just as soon as I do some pirating, 'cause I have no cash . . . but donations are happily accepted. :D

kerrianna
09-11-2007, 02:50 PM
Oh that's soooo cool Captain, sir. Do you actually have a new copy of the license already? hehehe if you do I bet you keep whipping it out to look at the Mr. part over and over. I know I would (well, in reverse of course).

And since when did pirates need passports? Sheesh... all these new rules. :rolleyes:

I hope a young lady giving a swarthy swashbuckling dude such as yourself flowers isn't embarassing, cuz here! :love:

(the rum and cigars the guys can give you :p)

Tristan
09-11-2007, 02:59 PM
Yay, Lex. Woot. Dude I'm thrilled for you. Wicked.

GACountrygal
09-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Congrats Capt!! :hugs::thumbsup:

Adam
09-11-2007, 04:39 PM
yay congrats :D:drink:

Taylor105
09-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Man, that is the most awesome news I have heard all day!! Congrats!

Sharon
09-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Very cool, Lex -- congratulations!! :happy:

Jenna1561
09-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Congratulations, Captain, Sir. You make a fine looking gentleman and now the State of New York and its fine citizens shall know that you are a man not to be trifled with!

Jenna

Wendi {LI NY}
09-11-2007, 06:32 PM
From one New Yorker to another! CONGRATS> Let's have a :drink: Hugs,Wendi

MJ
09-11-2007, 06:40 PM
cool Captain, sir. congrats, now when the British government get my passport done i can come down and we can celebrate :drink:

like you say one step at a time :sad:

Tobie
09-11-2007, 07:09 PM
That's awesome news! Congrats!

RevMoonSerpent
09-11-2007, 07:25 PM
That's great news Lex. I'm happy for you.

aethen
09-11-2007, 07:38 PM
Wooooooooooo

Great news!

A good day all around.:happy:

~Aethen

JamesAlan
09-11-2007, 07:59 PM
:drink: Rum for the captain. Congrats dude. I know how thrilling it is to have that "M" on your license. I had it once, but it was a screw up at DMV :rolleyes:. I should have kept it though, at 15 I would have been listed as a guy :D. But my mom had me go back and have it fixed. Oh well, can't wait until I can have that "M" again myself. Congrats again Capt.

DanielMacBride
09-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Congrats Cap'n, thats freakin' AWESOME :D :D :D

Round of rum on me for all :drink:

Daniel

Charleen
09-11-2007, 09:12 PM
:D Hell, I've been saying you're the man! :D
Congratulations Captain, my Captain! I'm thrilled for you. Bet you are also defying the laws of gravity by walking on air!
Love and xxxx, Lily

ZenFrost
09-11-2007, 10:43 PM
:bg: Awesome! Congrats Cap'n! :yahoo:

happyfish
09-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Dude! That's so awesome! Congrats!! :drink: :D :jumping:

John
09-12-2007, 07:24 AM
Fantastick mate!

Tree GG
09-12-2007, 08:03 AM
Congratulations, Capt. (Cap't Lex M.A.M.? Sorry, the initials just screamed out bad joke to me). :D Anyone who can successfully navigate the bureaucracy of US gov't can succeed anywhere!

I think they make you have a passport to get to the Caribbean now, so swords at the ready and charge ahead! You did promise I could have the southern islands.

Kieron Andrew
09-12-2007, 08:05 AM
(Cap't Lex M.A.M.? Sorry, the initials just screamed out bad joke to me)
im glad someone else saw that and decided to say something....ive been dying to, but i knew id be a dead man lol

Wendy me
09-12-2007, 08:39 AM
congrads Capt.... huge steps .........

CaptLex
09-12-2007, 09:56 AM
Congratulations, Capt. (Cap't Lex M.A.M.? Sorry, the initials just screamed out bad joke to me).
And if I had a buck for every time I've heard that, I could buy a ship! :heehee:

I think they make you have a passport to get to the Caribbean now, so swords at the ready and charge ahead! You did promise I could have the southern islands.
Yeah, Tree, they're all yours - so I'll need a new passport to come visit you. Get the rum ready! :drink:

Thank you ladies and gents :bow: . . . I'm a happy dude. :D

Kate Simmons
09-13-2007, 05:36 AM
Congratulations my friend. Sorry I'm late with that, I've been a little out of the loop lately (or loopy, take your pick). I'm very happy for you.:hugs:

CaptLex
09-13-2007, 09:21 AM
Congratulations my friend. Sorry I'm late with that, I've been a little out of the loop lately (or loopy, take your pick). I'm very happy for you.:hugs:

Thanks, Sal! :hugs: LOL @ "loopy" . . . :heehee:

Dasein9
09-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Congratulations!

crunchysoda
09-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Congrats!! Im so happy for you!

gennee
09-15-2007, 12:54 PM
MY congrats to you, Cap. This calls for a celebration.

Gennee :drink:

:hugs::cheer::balloons::Party2:

BarbaraTalbot
09-16-2007, 05:15 AM
I thought well duh!!!! (what self respecting pirate crew would let some wench at the helm?)

But you meant to say the crown now recognizes ye! Aye it is a fine day, but ye weren't really a needin' thar by yor leave was ya?

I think 'twere not the note from the sawbones what did it, but the rum on yer breath, and the unsteady land legs that skeered them into bowing (rightfully) before the jolly roger!

Let all here hoist a glass in celbration, (or just because yer a bunch of drunken scalawags.)

Note: No famous allegedly female pirate captains were actually denigrated in the course of my enthusiastic if a bit misogynistic toast.

CaptLex
09-18-2007, 01:49 PM
:lol2: That was great, Barbara . . . :^5:

Lisa Golightly
09-18-2007, 02:26 PM
I had a hard time convincing anyone I existed for years... Even my University didn't know who I was for ages... Even when I did go to a lecture. Congrats... Surely we must celebrate... Some small spot with some fine wine and great French cheese... Gosh I'm peckish :)

bi_weird
09-18-2007, 06:58 PM
Duuude this is a bit late, but congrats! Rum-brownies all around!