PDA

View Full Version : Young Adults

Melora
09-14-2007, 05:15 AM
After reading one of the last threads by Laura Olivia..Out to daughter..
I wondered? Are kids now a'Days, Those who seem to almost accept the way of life of the previous generation and improve upon the ways of life, .... Are they as a whole a more Exepting generation? Do they except CDs mor NOW than in the last generation? When I went to school , I think that "I" would have been shunned, but I graduated in 93", BUT IS it different now? I am sure that some parents can give some light on this subject.. Kids & Teens fashions and coulture changes as much as the adult world, (if even not more), Look at HOT TOPIC stores. The question is Are they more excepting of crossdressing?.. I think that they are!

Karren H
09-14-2007, 06:05 AM
They are in general, imho, but then it's one of your children... all bets are off as to how ccepting they may or may not be....

Karren

erickka
09-14-2007, 07:30 AM
As my observation, I think there is less of a defining line between boys and girls in today's society. I know a lot of late teens, early 20's in Fl. through our friend's kids, and , believe it or not, about 60% of them are openly "bi", both male and female. I dont' know if this melding of culture in this country has anything to do with it,(accepting youngre people) but it may.

Veronica53
09-14-2007, 08:21 AM
I think they are more accepting in general,when I was in school (70's) if you were overweight or just about anything out of the norm you were verbally abused, now it is all pretty much accepted I think. Crossdressing I'm not sure about.

Veronica

Christine St James
09-14-2007, 08:48 AM
I think that people in general are getting more accepting of other lifestyles and tastes. The open bisexuality that I experienced in high school (I graduated in 2003) by damn near everyone really struck me as odd when I first got there, considering I came fom a small parochial school.

I think the social acceptance stands at: If it makes you happy, and doesn't hurt anyone else, what the hell. Go for it.

MJ
09-14-2007, 09:06 AM
yes i think so , kids are getting the message that we should respect regardless of race , creed , color of skin , or gender . do unto others as you would have them do unto you ..

ChrisP
09-14-2007, 09:10 AM
I think gender and sexual fluidity among youth today is more of a cultural thing: common in urban, middle and upper class groups.

Not to say there aren't forward thinking kids in Waverly Alabamha, but there won't be support for those views in a more rural setting.

But, that fluidity is spreading....you can't stop fun (only delay it a bit).

Chris

Wenda
09-14-2007, 09:19 AM
Well Veronica, I was in high school in the 60's, just when the Beatles and the Rolling Stones started people thinking, and not only were the students abusive, but some of the teachers were downright mean regarding weight, styles, etc.
In grade nine just prior to Freshie Day, in guidance class, one of the guys asked, "they wouldn't make you wear anything .... uh .... false ... would they?"
At the time, my mom's 36C strapless bra was my favourite article of clothing, but I would have died if I had been asked to wear it in public.
I have noticed quite a difference between my two eldest children, now 29 and 31, and my youngest, now 21. My third son, 26 is in the middle, literally.
I see much more of the 'fluidity' mentioned earlier in my youngest son's crowd. w.

Natasha1974
09-14-2007, 05:05 PM
I think kids in general are more accepting, my eldest son (8) has been brought up to accept people for who they are, not what look or dress like, but... having just said that while shopping the other afternoon at the local supermarket we came across a fellow crossdresser, smallest son (20mths) waved and blew kisses (and received some waves and kisses back), while eldest son got outside and said bluntly, 'Thats not right!" :eek: could have pushed me over with a stick, so ensued a lecture on acceptence, he has clearly spent too much time with his grandmother last weekend! :Angry3:

Jill
09-14-2007, 05:15 PM
I think that when you're talking about teenagers, all bets are off. The go in every possible direction, posess and exercise every form of bias, deviant behavior and ignorance. It's truly a time of life when kids are shaping their identity. There are so many cliques and sub cultures that you can't really say whether or not teens are more accepting these days. Especially when you take into account the different demographics, big city kids are probably more loose on things as opposed to kids who live in more rural areas. There's one particular subculture where the boys wear a lot of female clothing and makeup but this subculture is general disliked by the other ones. It all just depends.

Deborah Jane
09-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Kids do seem more accepting on the whole, but society has changed a lot since i was at school [70s]. I think they are taught more about differant lifestyles and tend to accept most things as being,if not the norm, then still not offensive!!

angelfire
09-14-2007, 06:43 PM
Where I went to highschool, you would have been accepted by certain people. There would be people who would accept you unconditionally, and those who would hate for any reason. Not that many people were openly gay or bi, and I graduated in 2002 if I remember correctly(pretty sad I already kinda forget, hah).

Now, with the 'emo' scene in, many people in that scene dress androgynous, and it is well known a lot of the guys wear girl's jeans and make-up. Again, lots of them are openly bi, so it seems to be the trend.